Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shwetagarg_gw

learning to felt

shwetagarg
17 years ago

Hello

can anyone tell me how we felt the knitted projects. I recently saw some felted bags and i think they look cool

wud love to try it

plz help .

thanks

Comments (8)

• ilanaeid_md
    17 years ago

I'm generally good at shrinking clothes!

The process is simple. You put your garment in a zippered pillowcase so that the fuzz resulting from the felting process doesn't get in your water pump. Put the pillow case and some jeans (helps with the aggitation) in the hottest water at the lowest level of water you can for the size load. Add a small amount of regular detergent. Run the load through the aggitation of your machine, but stop the cycle before you rinse and spin. Check your garment every 5 minutes or so until it gets to the size you want. This may take a few cycles. Then rinse and spin.

Take the item out of the machine, and shape it as you like. I usually stuff mine with plastic bags to help it keep it's shape. Let it air dry 1-2 days.

Believe it or not, this also works in a front loading machine. You just can't check your work as you go along.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on felting from knitty.com

• shwetagarg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey thanks for the detailed descirption...i wil definately try ..just one thing ...i want to make a bag out of it ..so for that shud i knit the bag (in large size ) then felt it and sew it later ? or shud i just felt the larger sized bag...
    thanks
    shweta

• grammad
    17 years ago

yes you knitit first with 100% wool yarn. the pattern you are making is very big but the bag will shrink down to the size the pattern says. a friend of mine did it making slippers and it was very cool. i have never done it but have seen it done

• shwetagarg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hey thanks a lot ...i am planning to make a big tote or carry bag to hold all my knitting stuff.
    wil post the pics once it is done .
    thanks

• ilanaeid_md
    17 years ago

If you're not following a pattern, I would knit a swatch,and felt it so that you know how much to allow for shrinkage. If it shrinks 25%, then you know to knit your bag 25% larger than you want it.

• cherbo
    17 years ago

Knitting Pattern Central has lots of felted items.

Here is a link that might be useful: felted items

• cherbo
    17 years ago

Sorry that link didn't work. I'll try again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Felted Items

• shwetagarg
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ya i have choosen a few patterns from the link ...now i just have to felt the way you told me ....i am abt to finish the bag .once felting is done i wil post the pics .
    thanks a lot ...

Sponsored
More Discussions