Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torot

Propane VS. Oil Vs. Pellet??

torot
15 years ago

Hi ALL!

I've posted before about getting a good Pellet Stove. It looks around 4K or so, that's without buying ONE Pellet!

Then I thought to myself...what happens IF my 40+ year old Utica Boiler goes! It poduces the heat to my radiators, and makes my Hot Water!

I have a friend that's laid up after an operation (I gave him a visit), he happens to install Propane Sytems for a Heating CO. I got to gabbing about Propane...he said there are these panel things, run $1,700 or so. OK...maybe that'll work for me. Then he asked about my hot water, I've got a Boiler that does that. So doing one of those Propane driven instant things isn't going to work for me. That Boiler of mine will die, if it doesn't run all year!

So...then I got to thinking about replacing it all with Propane! Maybe a Budburous! Now I find out, that Propane doesn't have the same BTU as Oil. So price wise per BTU gallon, there about the same (?). So...I don't know what to do! Just sit...and FINALLY by a Programmable Thermostat, hope the world changes? Just don't know!!

Yes, my old house has insulation in the attic, just did the side walls. I have Storm widows with old replacement windows.

HELP!! Ted

Comments (2)