Software
Houzz Logo Print
bahacca_gw

Before and Afters!!!

13 years ago

First, I need to thank everyone here for their words of advice, support and ideas over the past couple years. I feel like i'm finally completing a chapter in a book I've been reading for far too long!
Here are the befores:




THe journey began with me restaining cabinets in our small bathroom. From there, over the course of 2 years, I stripped and restained all of our cabinets in our home, ending with the kitchen. I stripped using stripper-X and restained using varathane in dark walnut. Counters were a HUGE to do as those who were around last spring may recall. I had my heart set on Fusion quartzite, but it was just not meant to be. After further "kitchen soul searching", my husband and I fell in love with emerald pearl and had that installed last July, on my birthday.
We spent MONTHS getting samples of tile from various places. Only thing we knew we wanted was stainless with some sort of accent. I finally found it-and it had a 7 week lead time on it! It arrived mid-november just in time for the holidays to kick in. A family friend was my tile installer, so I had to wait for him to be available for the backsplash work. Well, he was here Wednesday and yesterday. He has some small things to touch up and then clean, but otherwise, it is DONE! Here is the big reveal:



Close up of backsplash-stainless is from Glass tile store in 2x6 and 2x2. Glass tile is Aquarius by Interstyle in Terrazzo in 2x2:

The red valance will come down. We have a black hood to install and will get stainless switchplates. We'll also be painting soon. I realize the cathedral design on the doors isn't contemporary like the backsplash is, but we'll probably replace the doors sometime in the next few years with a more contemporary design, so for now, I'm living with the mismatch of styles.

Comments (26)

  • 13 years ago

    Beautiful! All your hard work has paid off!

  • 13 years ago

    Wonderful job.
    The cabs look great and the countertops and backsplash are a great combo.

  • 13 years ago

    That is great bahaca. It really looks wonderful. Congrats!

  • 13 years ago

    So worth the wait and so perfect for your kitchen. Have you licked it yet?!

  • 13 years ago

    Great job restaining the cabinets. That must have been so much work. I love the backsplash. Its very unique. Enjoy!

  • 13 years ago

    Great job! What a transition - you will have fun in your updated kitchen while remembering all the old memories stored in your cabinets.
    I have been waiting to see your kitchen. Thanks!

  • 13 years ago

    I'll wait until it's a bit cleaner to lick it, Maggie!
    Dilly-it was a TON of work, but the money it saved allowed me to be able to do the rest of the project. And I came in about $2000 under budget as well. So it was a $7K facelift-new counters, sink, faucet, hood, cooktop and b/s.

    Gemini-glad people remember me:-) I think of your guys often when I see new kitchen stuff.

  • 13 years ago

    Wow nice job! I followed your fusion saga and even considered using it myself, but your Emerald Perl looks terrific and the backsplash compliments it really nicely.

  • 13 years ago

    What a great finishing job. What a difference. The backsplash is gorgeous and the whole kitchen is beautiful. Have fun.

  • 13 years ago

    I just saw a giant slab of the emerald pearl today, it's gorgeous and I'll bet it looks great IRL with the backsplash. Love to see a closeup on the counter and tile.

  • 13 years ago

    Beautiful! What a difference!

  • 13 years ago

    You did a great job on the cabinets! The room looks so fresh and new! The change is inspirational! Good work!

  • 13 years ago

    It looks fantastic!! Taking down the peninsula uppers makes a WORLD of difference -- your kitchen seems so much larger. And it's funny but the darker stain somehow makes your ovens look better too. They looked like godzillas in your light cabinets and now the whole scale of your kitchen is so much better and airier. Love that backsplash and the counters too.

    Great job, enjoy your great new space!!

  • 13 years ago

    You did a great job! Congrats on all your hard work. Enjoy creating memories in your new space.

  • 13 years ago

    What a great transformation! Your cabinets look so much richer, huge difference.

    I love the backsplash, it looks like jewels scattered along with wall, just gorgeous.

  • 13 years ago

    Beautiful remodel! And as one ss backsplash owner to another...GREAT choice of material! I love it!

    Congratulations!

  • 13 years ago

    Wowza! Congrats on your new kitchen. I am amazed by your talent and drive. That backsplash is fascinating and the stones are a perfect compliment to the cabinets.

  • 13 years ago

    Yes, yes, I love the tile and the grout and the width and the silvery, shimmery effect. You have a quality, thought-full kitchen. Enjoy. Westsider

  • 13 years ago

    Thank you so much everyone! We found the glass tiles and fell in love with them. I ordered just about every color imaginable, but none of them were right. I told my DH I was going to order the neutral ones as a last ditch effort and this one was just too perfect of a match-like they were made for my kitchen. They are hand made, so I love looking at each individual tile to see the little differences.

  • 13 years ago

    It's always so rewarding to see the end of the tunnel. Congrats to you! The stainless is a nice touch :)

  • 13 years ago

    I love how much more spacious and light the kitchen looks. The removal of the cabinets was a great idea. Your new cabinets look fantastic.

  • 13 years ago

    It really does look like a different kitchen. The cabinets came out great. Looks professional. The tile is a WOW. Glad you came back to show us.

  • 13 years ago

    Congrats, bahacca, on your lovely new kitchen; all your hard work has paid off, you must be thrilled! I like the close-up of your new backsplash, I am another big SS fan. Will look forward to the next round of pictures! It's funny, but I almost miss the upper cabinets you took down. What plans do you have for the sink wall? Shelves only might be really fun. Best, oldbat2be

  • 13 years ago

    Old bat-the sink wall is staying as is-no shelves or anything. Our small microwave goes in the corner under the uppers and we use all of the space to the left of the sink for prep, dish washing, and there is a 3rd seat on the peninsula breakfast bar, so having a shelf there would be cumbersome to a person who sat there.
    The top shelves did a great job of dividing the space, but I have 2 kids and I like to be able to SEE them when I'm making dinner. I also sit them there for breakfast while I prep their lunches in the morning.
    We got the hood installed today. Now I need new light switches. And paint. I found a color we both really like, so I think we will go with it. It is the same hue, but slightly lighter shade of the color currently on the ceiling.

  • 13 years ago

    Very, very nice!! I like your backsplash too, and your cabinets look great!

  • 13 years ago

    Just beautiful! What an amazing transformation!