Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_189791

Which TV console - please vote

User
13 years ago

We just ordered a new big screen (65") TV and need to buy a console to put it on. We found one both DH and I like, but we each like it in different colors.

As far as other furniture in the room, there is one piece of black furniture. The rest of the furniture is medium to dark woods.

So, here are very crude mock-ups of the consoles in my room with a TV on them. Which do you like? Black or walnut?

Black:

{{!gwi}}

Walnut:

{{!gwi}}

Thank you!

Comments (18)

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I like the black because I think the console looks better in the black--plus I like the look of black tv on black console and think the black looks fine with your other pieces.

• Penelope
    13 years ago

I agree. Having both black may make the TV seem less prominent than if they were contrasting colors.

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I like the black. From the mock up it kind of looks like the walnut clashes somewhat with the coffee table.

• lyfia
    13 years ago

I like the black as it looks like it and the TV belong together.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

Neither! Sorry, but the black on black will look like one large mass of black and the wood tones don't go with your room. I would either try to find something in a lighter wood tone, perhaps recycle another piece of furntiure etc. or find something that matches your wood a bit better.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The wood in the mock-up is not quite right. I linked to the actual unit so you can see the wood tone. Not sure it goes any better in the room, but just to give accurate picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood TV stand

• tamdave123
    13 years ago

I would go with the black for sure. You have some black accents in the room already like the curtain rods, speaker stands, fireplace trim. Nice space by the way.

• suero
    13 years ago

Another vote for black.

• les917
    13 years ago

I think there are issues besides the color of the console. First, the feel of what I can seen in the room is more traditional, perhaps a bit rustic. I don't think either console fits the feel of the space.

Also, is that where the tv is going to stay? Have you tried another arrangement in the room so that the tv would feel like it fit where it was sitting? This may be the only place it can go, but you have such a lovely space, it seems, and the tv kind of feels like it doesn't belong, doesn't work with the flow of the room.

If you are game, show us the rest of the room - there might be some great suggestions from the talented folks here about a way to better use your space.

But, if in the end it is going to be one of the two, in that spot, I would go black to visually make it feel like one unit, and so less bulky.

• catkin
    13 years ago

I like the black, it's a cohesive look.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Another vote for black. The walnut looks unbalanced to me in terms of the size of the TV in comparison to the size of the console.

• loribee
    13 years ago

I think the black, also~

• lisa_mocha
    13 years ago

Another vote for black...
    It does seem to work better with the TV and also with curtain rods above...

If the walnut does not match in shade to other pieces in the room, perhaps there's be too many shades of med. wood tones in the room should you add in this one also...

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

I'm have to give a dissenting vote. I think the black stand turns that corner into a giant black hole. I would find a wood stand that matches the wood tones in the room or maybe a wood and metal combo that would keep things a bit lighter in that corner.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! We ordered the black one. I was hoping for something that didn't blend into TV and was more like a piece of furniture. But, you are all correct that this wood one didn't blend well with the rest of the wood in the room, and we couldn't find one that did blend in our very limited budget.

For those afraid of the big black hole (with black tv and black console), the room is very large - about 20 x 20 - with very high ceilings. I think the shear volume will prevent that from happening. And right now there is an even bigger old style 61 inch TV there (not on console, the thing is it's own piece of furniture). I think this will look better than that does, and that doesn't bother me. We are a big sports watching family. The TV is part of our family time, so it being prominent in the room does not bother me at all.

Les - thanks! Rustic, huh? I do not think the room is rustic. This corner, or the opposite corner on other side of the fireplace are the only 2 places the TV can go. Putting it on the other side of fireplace means swapping the seating so we are facing that way which would mean we are facing the front of the house instead of the back. DH didn't like the idea of looking out the front windows to street instead of back windows to back yard.

I am open to any suggestions on furniture arrangement anyone might have. I think we have it the only way it can go, but always open to a new set of eyes. I linked to a previous post after we painted this room. There are a couple pictures at the top of the post, and if you scroll down there are more.

Thanks for the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures of the room

• catkin
    13 years ago

I think your rooms are lovely as they are!

• haley_comet
    13 years ago

Brown...100%...the black doesn't jive at all with the rest of the room.

You don't want your console and TV to be any major focal point of the room (especially a black dark one) or draw too much attention too it...your fireplace is the focus point and the brown jells well with your other furniture pieces.

Brown...no doutb.

Haley

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi everyone. Wanted to give the final update. We went with black and are happy. DH has agreed to remove the speakers you see in the 1st picture. Woo hoo! Never liked them.

Longer view of room: