Software
Houzz Logo Print
lascatx_gw

Anyone familiar with Franklin Iron Works?

12 years ago

I have found a couple of light fixtures I am interested in, but have never heard of the maker -- Franklin Iron Works. I have not been able to find any information on them or a website for them. I'm wondering if they are a line within a larger manufacturer or just an assortment of otherwise nameless imports. Would be interested in knowing if anyone has heard of them, has dealt with them or knows anything about them.

Comments (25)

  • 12 years ago

    i eventually went with another light for my kitchen, but I also was contemplating some lights by franklin ironworks. i found them on the lamps plus website. it is possible that you can order them through lamps plus, which you can always return if you don't like them. they got good reviews on the lamps plus site.

  • 12 years ago

    I saw them on Lamp Plus as well as a couple of other websites, but I'd like to know something about the company, where they are made, etc.

  • 12 years ago

    Thanks mudhouse. I wasn't coming up with those. I was coming to the conclusion that it was probably a name used for things made by another company or companies and fearing they are otherwise no-name Chinese imports.

    I have looked at everything I could find under the name Franklin Iron Works and there are no collections or related fixtures. I found two styles that could work in adjoining rooms, but I'd like to be able to get additional glass shades so I can make them the same. Not necessarily a deal breaker, but I'd also like to avoid the headaches we had with a Ballad fixture we waited months for as the slow boat made its way from China. The fixture was unique and is still DH's favorite, but we spent the better part of a year and had to return two of them -- one damaged and the second with exposed wiring right where it could rub and cause a problem. I don't want to go there again.

    Here we are again with something unique looking that is likely a gamble from China. Looks like something Hubbardton Forge would make. Wish they would.

    This post was edited by lascatx on Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 11:54

  • 12 years ago

    I Googled 'Franklin Iron Works Lamps Made in China?' and found several hits describing lighting in the line, and each one described was made in China. See link below, and here is the first review of one from Amazon -

    "We just received these lamps. Although the quality looks good (haven't installed them so I'll have review the electrical aspect later), these are sheet metal stampings...there's no "Iron"...so the name is just a sales gimmick.
    Are they worth the $149 I paid for them...no. A reasonable price for a sheet metal lamp made in China should be about $75.00.

    I'd definitely buy them again, IF they cost $75.00...I'd have second thoughts about spending almost $150 (EACH) on them....and even that was considerably marked down."

    Here is a link that might be useful: FRANKLIN IRON WORKS lamps made in China

  • 12 years ago

    Thanks. Looks like the limited reviews are mixed. I am looking at chandeliers and didn't look far enough to see reviews on the outdoor fixtures. There are not a lot of reviews and none on the fixture that caught our eye.


    Doesn't it look like something Hubbardton Forge should make?

  • 12 years ago

    That's a pretty fixutre, and it does have a similar look to some of the modern look Hubbardton Forge wall sconces, with graceful lines.

    I don't blame you for being cautious, after your unfortunate experiences with the previous Ballard light fixures. When we have experiences like that, I say to DH, "why do we even try to spend money?" Just seems like so many modern purchases can turn into battles!

    DH and I are retired from having our own mom-and-pop forge. Our shop was an old limestone blacksmith shop built in 1934, and we used a combination of modern equipment and tools over 100 years old. We made some light fixtures, but mostly other items (hardware, fireplace tools, etc.) I think the Hubbardton Forge items are very well made; a friend of ours used them in her home.

    When the above reviewer says the fixture is "sheet metal" he's probably right, the saucers look to be stamped sheet metal, and the framework is probably pretty light weight tubing, judging from the way the diameter gets small and collapses to a slightly flatter shape at the top. In products like this the pieces are bent cold using tools, no real forgework involved (meaning, the way most of us think of iron being shaped...heating it and forming it with hammers and other tools.) Companies like this use the word "Forge" in their name because of the good connotations.

    In spite of the fact that we made "the real deal" with hammer and anvil, I really have no problem with these materials, if the look is nice (we're very price conscious in our own home too.) But of course the rub is when fixtures don't work right. Unfortunately, sometimes less expensive materials can be a tip off that less care goes into the rest of the piece as well. It's so hard to tell, on the internet, so I understand your frustration!

    I believe most of the components in the Hubbardton Forge lines are truly forged (heated and shaped) from solid bar stock mild steel (iron) material, and that's part of why they are so much more expensive. Higher material costs, more labor intensive, and higher shipping costs too for finished products. That, and paying for American labor, of course.

    In our house, if we like the look, and it fits our budget, we're usually willing to take a leap...knowing we can return it, if we're disappointed.

  • 12 years ago

    I'm not ruling it out. If that was a 44 inch long fixture and made of iron, it would be very heavy and there isn't any reason that it needs to be that heavy to hang over an island or table. While I can understand someoen wanting something heavier for an outdoor fixture, especially if it was going to be exposed, a n indoor fixture shouldn't get any real wear and tear. I just want it to be made well and look good.

    LAst summer, we shopped and shopped and found a teak outdoor set we all could agree on. Was in stock -- until he went to ring it up, so we had to wait. Waited, got it and liked it, but the table developed several cracks -- one all the way through a board. Again waited for another to come into stock. Meanwhile the chairs developed some bad cracks -- all the way through on at least one or two. We sent the whole thing back and made do with our old set for the rest of the summer. I need to get it redone or find a new set this year and I'm gun shy there too. I guess I haven't had good luck with major purchases of late.

  • 12 years ago

    I know the feeling. Last time we bought a microwave, I researched it thoroughly, bought a GE, right size and finish. Brought it home, no worky, right out of the box. Took it back. Got another. Same problem. What? Third time we switched to another brand. Wore us out so much we no longer cared what it looked like, as long as it worked!

    At 44 inches I think that would be a pretty impressive fixture in the right spot...

  • 11 years ago

    We are interested in exactly the same fixture. Did you end up buying it? Impressions? Thanks!

  • 11 years ago

    We did not. Have not changed the fixture we have, but I did go back and look at it not that long ago. They had a photo of it in a room and neither of us liked it as well in that photo. I don't remember why, but we felt like it wouldn't work for us. Have you seen that photo too?

  • 11 years ago

    FYI, I bought a Franklin iron works chandelier last fall. It never worked (some of the lights work; which ones work is a random occurrence, and changes when one is touched). It needs to be completely rewired. lampsplus.com might have made it right, but after the work and danger of installing it in our two-storey foyer, my DH* wasn't uninstalling it anytime soon. So I've convinced myself that I enjoy the low-light ambiance of having an average of only three bulbs lit, and the excitement of seeing which ones decide to work. ;)

    *DH is qualified to do electrical work, even passed our county's test so he'd be legal. His installation isn't the problem.

  • 11 years ago

    I wouldn't leave something like that installed or at least I wouldn't use it. Faulty wiring can start a fire. Sounds like you need to get some help getting it down and repairing or replacing. DH may be able to do the work, but you may need a helper or a taller ladder if you felt it was dangerous to install it in the first place. Need to be safe on both counts.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for the concern, lascatx, I'm concerned, too! So I don't use the light much at all. Rewiring it is near the top of DH's to do list, and we now have a ladder that's tall enough. The contraption he set up first time around just about gave me a heart attack!

  • 11 years ago

    Glad to hear it.

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I bought two slate table lamps. They were inexpensive, on sale ($99 each). The slate is beautiful. The lamp is lovely, but feels a little more cheaply made than I expected. It came with a tag saying Franklin Iron Works - hand forged by authentic artisans. Franklin Iron Works has its own web site too.


  • 8 years ago

    I had hoped to find a lower cost fixture that was solid iron, but as someone already said, this is stamped out sheet metal. I chose far more expensive, but US based iron manufacturer Hubbardton Forge. If you can stomach to price, these are beautiful fixtures for those looking for the rugged but modern look.!

  • 7 years ago

    I have searched high and low and found NO Franklin Iron Works web site

  • 6 years ago

    Why buy ANYTING from China. Spend a little more and help us decouple from China

  • 6 years ago

    Franklin iron works , another Chinese ripoff

  • 6 years ago

    FRANKLIN IRON WORKS STATES THEY DO NOT MANUFACTURE LIGHTNING, NO MATTER WHAT LAMPS PLUS SAYS. It is implied USA made, just another made in china scam when you think you are purchasing USA product and its actually made in china, like I did- I fell for it also.

  • 4 years ago

    This response sounds like it was written by a Chinese Communist Party office. Chinese products are not quality products. look at how many times Chinese toy makers sent toys to the US with lead based paint. My familt ALWAYS looks for products made in the US first before ever buying from China. China And Xi have shown they are an Enemy of Freedom and is a problem to be dealt with.

  • 4 years ago

    Buy light fixtures fro U S company Humbarton Forge

  • 4 years ago

    I wont buy products made in China

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Just bought this from Franklin. I hope it works