Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denysebean

Cutting glass mosaic tiles. Help!

denysebean
11 years ago
How do we cut glass mosaic tiles. We thought we could use one of the scoring cutters that then snap the tiles where scored but Home Depot said we need a wet saw. They are small tiles set in mesh and the cuts are going to be so tiny that a wet saw seems like overkill kit to mention expensive to rent or buy considering our backsplash is so small and isn't costing much money to begin with. Can we use one of the sliding score cutters? Does anybody know? Thanks!

Comments (26)

• Shawn Lagemann
    11 years ago
    You will have better luck with a hand glass scorer, looks like a pen with a score wheel at the bottom and the tube is filled with oil (like a sewing machine oil). If you want to cut each tile individually, then snap the tile by holding each side with a pair of snubby pliers wrapped in tape (slippery otherwise) You can get a glas scoring pen at craft stores with stained glass supplies or a stained glass supply shop or online. The wet saw is used to cut a row of the tiles at once, which is most efficient. The sliding tile scorer would be too cumbersom to hold the small tile in place and try to cut.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    These tiles are on a mesh backing, right? When we installed the glass and stone mosaic tiles in my husbands restroom, we used tile nippers and where there was a curve my husband used his Dremmel. I can't picture how a tile saw would work with the mesh backing because the tiles move around so much.
  • denysebean
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have read about the glass tile cutters with the oil on another site. That might be worth exploring. I'm afraid of the tile nippers because they have to be so precise. Won't the nippers be uneven? Here is a pic of the tiles. We will have to cut some to fit into the empty spaces where they don't interlock. For instance on the edges so it has to be a pretty clean cut. As you can see some are glass and some are not.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Beautiful tiles! Sounds like the glass tile cutters may be the way to go. With this size of a tile, I would be afraid of the nippers shattering the glass. Another thing you could do is call a tile installer and ask what they do, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you.
  • denysebean
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I hadn't thought if calling a tile installer. Great idea!
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    tile installers would cut it on a wet saw with a glass cutting blade. It is very unlikely that nippers will give you the edge you want on the glass... more likely to shatter. As Shawn points out the glass cutting pen is a pretty good option for a small backsplash. The sliding scorer would never work on those sheets. Dremel is a good option with the right wheel.
  • denysebean
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for all of the input bar ended up getting one of the 14" scoring tile cutters and it worked out well! We still have to grout, but are pleased with the results. Here are the befores and afters.
  • denysebean
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The after of the stove didn't attach. Here it is
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Wow! That's no small difference! Great job!
  • denysebean
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks! We're pleased!
  • Gail Gatas
    10 years ago
    This was of great help, we have four outlet on our back splash, how did you cut your out?
  • denysebean
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If you are doing the mosaic tiles its fairly easy. We had several outlets, too. When we came to an outlet we just held the sheet of tiles up, cut with the blade through the mesh as best we could around the outlet. It won't be a perfect rectangle as some tiles won't need to be cut and others will (it's hard to explain so i dont know if I'm helping or not ) then we used the scoring tile cutter to cut the ones that needed to be cut. Also,you will need outlet spacers that will adjust the depth of the outlets to allow for the difference added on by the depth of the new tiles. I hope I helped some. It's a little hard to explain. Let me know if Incan clarify anything. Good luck!
  • Gail Gatas
    10 years ago
    We're going for it this weekend, thanks. Hope it looks as good as yours.
  • Greg Tino
    10 years ago
    denysebean..... thanks for your comments. By reading what you posted, I think I have enough info and tips to start my "little" project in the kitchen. Thanks to everyone who posted here – some great tips!
  • mstarkey60
    10 years ago
    I have the wet saw already. I've cut granite and all kinds of tile with it . . . . except glass. Gonna have to get the glass cutting blade and see if I can make that happen! Thanks for all the tips everybody!
  • Kivi
    10 years ago
    A little tip when cutting the glass mosaic sheets. It helps if you lay the sheet of tile on a piece of corrugated cardboard, or a thin sheet of stiff foam. This supports the tile on both sides of the blade as it is cut, and makes it easier to slide the sheet as a unit. Otherwise you can have problems with small pieces not behaving and staying where you want as you cut. The cardboard gets soggy after each cut so use a dry section each time.
  • deepakjhalani
    9 years ago
    @denseybean can you provide a link to 14" scoring tile cutters you used? We are trying to do similar job and having trouble finding right cutter for glass tiles.
  • Cecilia H
    9 years ago
    I tried the small glass cutter and the glass is so thick I couldn't do it!
  • Kivi
    9 years ago
    The small handheld pen cutter can work for a small number of cuts , but it can be tough if you also don't have the glass snapping pliers, or the tiles are very small. . A wet saw is the way to go for full sheets. I don't even unpackage the sheet of tile. I leave the plastic wrap and cardboard on the sheet. Mark your line onto the plastic wrap and cut it on the wet saw. If you don't have a wet saw, a handheld grinder with a glass blade will also work. Never make these cuts without safety glasses.
  • Cecilia H
    9 years ago
    oh I see what your saying Kivi, thanks for the information!!
  • Brad Robinson
    8 years ago
    This is the tile that I just started using when a wet saw is too cumbersome.
  • Brad Robinson
    8 years ago
    This is the tool I use now, it cuts from both sides so it cuts straighter. 8 bucks at Home Depot.
  • barrandray
    8 years ago

Goldblatt has glass tile nippers like those at Lowes. Thank you for the tip, I am attempting my first tile diy and need to know what I am doing before I start.

• J$hort
    8 years ago

Ok, this is a case where the right tool for the job is a good idea. I just bought a bunch of glass/stone mosaic tile for a kitchen back splash and did not have the glass cutting tool. I found that running a 4in thing grinding wheel on the face of the tile lightly causes the glass to clean break most of time. It is pretty quick. I had about a 5% failure rate where the glass would not break even or chip. Because the cut side would be behind an outlet cover or otherwise be covered, I was good with the rough edge. Keep in mind I was not cutting tiles on the sheet. I was removing from sheet and cutting individually. I have ~40 feet of linear counter where I will be installing backsplash. I was able to fit everything without horizontal cuts between counter and window trim and second level counter. Not sure how you cut these lengthwise, but laying these around outlets and other obstacles is like a jigsaw puzzle. Look is well worth it, I'll try to post some pics

• James
    7 years ago

I had the same question as installing mosaic glass tile as a backsplash. I was also relieved to find, as the original poster did, that a 14" tile cutter did the job. I used a Blue Hawk 14-in Tile Cutter from Lowes (about $20). I had good results cutting individual tiles, rather than putting the sheet of tile on the board. For size info - it worked for these tiles from Lowes - Bestview Grey/Linen Polished Linear Mosaic Glass Wall Tile (Common: 12-in x 13-in; Actual: 12.52-in x 11.73-in). Tiles are 6mm thick.