Software
Houzz Logo Print
arleneb

Show me your tile or granite fireplace surround!!

17 years ago

We've changed our minds about the decorative surround of our downstairs fireplace. It has a raised hearth and we need something about 8" wide -- we plan to put upright wooden trim pieces to visually support the mantle. When we thought 12" would work, we planned on slate but that makes it too wide to use the uprights. Background wall color is grey.

Anyone have pictures of your fireplace, or can direct me to a website with photos of tile or granite used as a surround?

Thanks!

Comments (19)

  • 17 years ago

    Hosta, Oceanna created a great inspiration thread of fireplaces on the gallery side so you may want to check that out.

  • 17 years ago

    I used ubatuba around my fireplace. I don't have any pics but I wanted to let you know that I probably wouldn't do it again. The granite is very dark and the fireplace insert is very dark. Consequently, the fireplace sucks the light and looks like a black hole. The granite is better than the peach and green southwest tile that used to be around the fireplace!

  • 17 years ago

    If I had it to over again, I'd use emperador marble.

  • 17 years ago

    We used soapstone for the surround and hearth.

  • 17 years ago

    WORK IN PROCESS:Glass Tiles. The grout will be copper with glitter flecks in it. I am thinking about going up to mantel. Would it be overkill to go all the way to top?



  • 17 years ago

    Here is mine. We used black some granite tiles on the surround and the floor

  • 17 years ago

    Did you look at the fireplaces thread in our gallery?

  • 17 years ago

    Newhome, love the slate with the white mantel. Nice Contrast!

  • 17 years ago

    Thanks, everybody . . . still looking at all the eye candy on the fireplaces thread!! Thanks, Oceanna, both for calling it to my attention and for the time you spent creating it!!

  • 17 years ago

    rdquilter,

    I love the glass tiles you are using on your fireplace. Would you mind telling me the manufacturer? They are pretty close to what I've been searching for for my BS in my kitchen.

    There was no way to contact you directly- so hope you return to this thread.

  • 17 years ago

    Deborahnj, thanks for mentioning the gallery thread!

    Hosta, you're welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Anyone who has any good pictures is always welcome to put them in my gallery threads for us all to enjoy, of course.

  • 17 years ago

    rdquilter - Your fireplace is beautiful!! Is that Lunada Bay Sumi-e in Hida Natural? That was the first choice for my kitchen backsplash, but I couldn't source it in time for my install. I ended up using the Sumi-e in Ohara Natural.

    And no, I don't think it would be over the top to take it all the way to the top. I did that with my kitchen backsplash, and it's one of the things everyone raves about.

  • 17 years ago

    Wow-I am amazed that you remember names like that mom2reese! It is Lunada Bay Sumi-e but ZUSHI Natural.
    I picked it out from a small card sample and there were no blues on it so I was taken aback when I first saw the real thing. But I like it and I have that blue in my room luckily. I am not sure it goes so great with the granite hearth which was a remnant slab, dark brown with reddish/copper but I think the copper grout should help with that.
    We had to order some more is why we stopped here!
    Now I am thinking about going up to the mantle bottom and then maybe a band of 2 or 3 around the top of the mantle rather than the whole shebang.
    I would love to have something that sparkly for backsplash, will be looking at those again.

  • 17 years ago

    Now I am thinking about going up to the mantle bottom and then maybe a band of 2 or 3 around the top of the mantle rather than the whole shebang.
    I would love to have something that sparkly for backsplash, will be looking at those again.

    That would look good, too, and maybe paint the rest of the fireplace column one of the colors in the tile? Just a thought... Please post pics when you're done - the copper grout with sparkles sounds really cool.

    Sorry to hijack your thread hostagrams! I would post my fireplace, but it's all stone so wouldn't really help you out.

  • 17 years ago

    Mom2 -- No apology needed! I'm pleased to see the comments and ids -- I love rdquilter's glass tiles, too and am glad for the identification. Newhome's treatment is also helpful . . . Our original plan was to use large slate tiles but they're too big . . . I could use the 4" ones like she did. Hope to see more!

  • 17 years ago

    old pic of ours during reno

  • 17 years ago

    New home - Solid Venetian Gold granite

    Previous home - Brown granite tiles
    {{gwi:1529594}}

  • 10 years ago

    @newhome2008 where did you find that fireplace mantel surround?? Love it!