Software
Houzz Logo Print
richiebkidd

Please help me design my dining room

13 years ago
Hello all,

We just purchased a new home and for the most part its a pretty open concept. We have picked out a dining room table but otherwise I wasn't sure what else to put in the room. I would also like ideas for modern looking light fixtures for a dining room (perhaps modern looking chandeliers?) Thanks All!

Comments (21)

  • 13 years ago
    You have a perfect wall for a sideboard and a painting. Darken up the white trim to one shade lighter that the walls, or even the same shade but glossy or satin. Your white is jarring.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Do you need a lot of storage for dishes or anything?
  • 13 years ago
    not much needed for storage, but I think a sideboard would be nice, or at least something to put in the room...., here is another photo of the room, I'm assuming I should put the sideboard on the wall that separates it from the kitchen, that way people arent walking around the sideboard to go through the doorway? thoughts on our table choice?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is a great source for modern lighting: http://ylighting.com. It can get pricey! I'd love to see some crown molding up to balance the baseboards (keep them white) and a large area rug big enough to pull the chairs out (3-4 feet from table). A mirror over a side table and you're set! Don't worry about filling up the long wall. Embrace the negative space until you find things you absolutely love. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    thank you Ann, I just sorted chandeliers by price and I didnt get very far from the bottom lol
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If you like European Style I would like suggest you some ideas for your living room and dinning room. Clear colors , of course.
    Designed and manufactured in Spain.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'm a big fan of picture molding. You can also do a full wall of art as seen here http://www.houzz.com/dining-room-picture-molding
    Also this http://www.houzz.com/chair-rail-dining-room
    You have lots of space so you can add interest with the architectural detail of molding.
    A large rug will help "set" the space.
    and a nice buffet table or sideboard that coordinates but doesnt match the table you've selected.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi. I create one off, large scale modern art work on mainly box canvas.
    www.dcart.tumblr.com

    Check out my work if your interested in commissioning me to create a piece for you, email me dc72@live.co.uk and we can communicate further details...Regards, Dean.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like the linear lines of the chandelier shown below, and here's a rug with a nice contemporary design. You can go with something neutral like the rug shown, or add more color to the room with a multicolored rug.
    Contemporary Kichler Neptune Place 41" Wide Large Modern Chandelier · More Info
    ModernRugs.com Exclusive · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    How about this chandelier:
    Transitional Dining Room · More Info
    Or this:
    Jane Lockhart Brown Dining Room · More Info
    Here is another modern one:
    pearl district loft - dining · More Info


    This galvanize lamp would look good:
    Passive House Retreat · More Info
    Or these lights:
    Cloud Residence · More Info
    This is fantastic:
    Modern dining area with Edison bulb chandelier · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I will take those chandeliers into consideration, perfect timing considering its Black Friday . The rug sizes I'd be looking at for that room is quite pricey! Any good sites to get rugs?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I've seen some good deals at Tuesday Morning and TJMaxx. Not sure if you have either of those near you but definitely worth looking into.
  • 13 years ago
    What about black trim? Houzz has some great pics. HomeGoods for rugs....also Overstock.
  • 13 years ago
    I think your table falls much more in the traditional realm than modern. If you want your room to lean modern, painting the tabletop and chair seats white (keeping the rest black) would bring in a nice modern touch with the graphic black and white. This would allow you to add the more modern touches you are after. Adding in fun modern lines and colors will be much easier without looking like you are trying to "force" the room to work.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks ! Suggestions for curtains?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I'd go for simple drapery side panels, hanging to the floor from a rod just below the ceiling, rather like the ones in the bedroom below.
    Navy and White bedroom · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If you are wanting to keep it on the modern side, I would actually avoid the curtain panels it the dining room...I think curtain panels will soon be the outdated thing in the near future. But of course maybe not quite yet :) we still like our long yards of fabric to soften everything up. The following roman blinds are still elegant and have a modern touch to them.... http://sliding-closetdoors.net/doors-sliding-images/roman-shade.html/attachment/roman-shade-images-06 ...and I believe the blue color may be a close match to your living room color. Where you can buy these particular ones, not sure, but in general, I would go for fabric roman blinds in the dining area in a color you would love to bring into the room. Just my take.
  • 13 years ago
    If you are looking to add a unique feature to your room, check out Magic Carpet Letters. It's different and adds a nice touch to complement the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Good point on the curtains, in many of the modern ish houses we have been visiting we are seeing curtains less and less.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    For the windows, woven wood blinds. You can add floor-length curtain panels later if you think you need them. As for rugs, shop rugsusa and overstock. I also like Flor carpet tiles. Choose your chandelier wisely, it should be at least a third of the length of your table, and it will make or break the room!
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations