Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xand83

Awkward Kitchen Facelift Finished

xand83
10 years ago

Hi all. I asked for feedback last October about what to do with our awkward (but far from terrible) kitchen. Thanks so much for your help! Most commented that we should live with our kitchen for at least a year and others said we should start with a clean slate.

We debated and, after about 7 months in the kitchen, decided to give it a facelift. Nothing major as the bones (cabinets & granite) were in good shape. Here's what we did:

- Tiled the back splash with Allen + Roth 4"x12" pearl subway tiles. Used the Schluter tile trim on the unfinished edges.

- Painted the kitchen Behr White Truffle.

- Cut the 4" granite back splash down to 1.5" in height. We removed the back splash all together (at first). But there were some huge gaps between the granite & drywall. A fantastic granite shop (Washington Marble & Granite) charged us $50 to cut them down to 1.5", so we put them back in place.

- Swapped out the microwave for a range hood & upgraded the dishwasher. An electrician put a new outlet in the laundry closet for the small appliances.

- Found a lightly-used Jenn-Air range on Craigslist for $700. Adios Frigidaire stove!

- Installed Armacost LED lighting from HD.

- Painted the toe-kick brown to (semi) match the cabinets.

- Upgraded the mini-blinds to thicker 2.5" blinds.

- Installed a new faucet from Overstock.

We did the work DIY and spent about $2500. It looks more dressed-up than before and matches the rest of our first floor well. Enjoy the pics & thanks again!

Before:

And After:

Comments (26)

• deedles
    10 years ago

That looks really great. I remember your thread with the stove against the wall... nice idea to put the tile around by the side of the stove. The tile looks great with the short backsplash, btw.

Floors are gorgeous and I love your laundry closet/pantry.

You did great, enjoy your beautiful updated space!

• amck2
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your refresh! And thank you for sharing. You must be loving the new feel of your entire first floor.

Noted your new-to-you range. We have a JennAire DF @ our lake place that looks to be the same model. We've loved it.

• Errant_gw
    10 years ago

Nice work! It really does look great :)

• User
    10 years ago

Wow, it really looks terrific. All the "little" changes add up to a big difference overall. Congratulations!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Looks like a different kitchen. Love the grey pearl backsplash, very fresh looking with the white paint. Really nice job. Love the green stools.

• feisty68
    10 years ago

Pretty! I love how your kitchen window has more space around it on the hood side. The kitchen feels brighter and fresher. The stools are so cute as well.

• dilzy
    10 years ago

Looks great! Much brighter and so fresh! Love the green stools.

• bpath
    10 years ago

Cutting down the backsplash to 1" is an inspired solution to a problem, and it looks great! Seems to make the countertop look deeper.

It all looks so bright, airy, and fresh!

• Ilene Perl
    10 years ago

Looks great..

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Nicely done. It looks like a radically different kitchen. You should be very pleased.

• done_again_2
    10 years ago

Your kitchen looks familiar. Were you on a recent episode of House Hunters? I seem to recall a similar kitchen with a range like that and the cabinet above a few inches from the wall.

The changes look very nice.

• fouramblues
    10 years ago

I never would have guessed that your finished kitchen was the result of a $2500 facelift! It all looks so beautiful and intentional, it looks like a whole-hog remodel. Wow!!

• xand83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@done_again: Haha. We were on House Hunters just two weeks ago. Fun stuff! The kitchen is much less brown than before ;)

Thanks everyone!

• Evan
    10 years ago

Great work. I love the way you cut down the granite backsplash!

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I just watched the episode on TiVo this weekend and told my husband I've seen that kitchen before!!!

Congrats. It looks great

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

That is super looking. Especially for $2500! It has freshened up the look and still kept the functionality. I love all that counter space you have. It's amazing how much cleaner and more open the stove wall looks with the removal of the upper and the micro.....congrats on a job really well done!

• Gooster
    10 years ago

congratulations! Now you need to be on House Hunters "Where are they Now". I especially like how you got rid of that oddly shaped microhood cabinet and relocated all that function to the W/D area.

• Kathy Rivera
    10 years ago

Fabulous! That tile just makes everything look so fresh and modern. Congrats.

Oh, I'm a House Hunters addict... I haven't seen this one, though. I'll keep an eye out! :)

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

What a great outcome! Very well done. I remember your post in the fall and love seeing the outcome. Thanks so much for posting the transformation! Now to keep an eye out for House Hunters... :)

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

That is stunning, so much for so little!

Well done.

• MarenAL
    10 years ago

This is great- what an improvement!

I am getting the armacost led tape light- did you install yourself or use an electrician?

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

So tailored and great looking. Love your choices, everything looks so nice and goes together so well. Beautiful home. Love the hood.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

That is amazing that for a small amount of money, you were able to lighten your kitchen, update it, and make it truly look modern and very pretty. I really love the after picture! What is the name of your pretty granite? The backsplash looks great!

• xand83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@MarrenAL: DIY'd the Armacost LED tape. It wasn't too difficult, but the product is somewhat frustrating. Some pieces (the clips & connectors) are only available online. And wiring everything together was tedious, but doable. It did require fishing wire behind the walls. This install was pretty straightforward, but it could get tricky depending on the cabinet run.

@lynn2006: Thanks! No idea on the name of the granite. It was here when we bought the place. However, when we were looking to fill in the gaps behind the granite, we were trying to think outside the box. I picked up some laminate samples to see if they could be attached to wood splices. It *might* have worked, but it would have been hokey. Wilsonart's "Madura Gold" was a close match. Glad we opted to have the 4" back splash cut down, though. It worked out much better than hacking together some other solution.

• Mick Mick
    10 years ago

Very nice!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

You did a fantastic job!