Software
Houzz Logo Print
socalsister_gw

higher counter (38 in): potential issues?

15 years ago

What should I consider before raising my kitchen counter height to 38 inches? I know that the dishwasher may be a problem since it will sit too low. Is there a remedy for this? Anything else I should take into account?

TIA

Comments (7)

  • 15 years ago

    Resale.

  • 15 years ago

    If you are using a range rather than a cooktop, you will probably not be able to raise the range a full 2": I don't think the legs/levelers have that much play--this also increase the open area for dirt and such underneath.

    It doesn't matter if you are using a cooktop and separate ovens. I am not sure that I would recommend putting a range up on a 2" pedestal although it seems like a good fix for the DW.

  • 15 years ago

    What is the reason for raising the counters?

    Height? [have you calculated your "ideal" work height?]

    Accessibility?

    Other?

    Are all counters going to be raised or just some?


    The answers to the above questions may affect responses.

  • 15 years ago

    You want to look down onto a range so you can see what's happening inside your pots. Depending on your layout, you could have a section of landing space on either side of your range that is at normal range/counter height, and let the higher counter overhang it a bit where they meet. I've seen such a setup in person and it doesn't seem to get gunky.

  • 15 years ago

    We put our counters at 38". I'm only 5' 5", but I find 38" the most comfortable height for kitchen work. We put all cabinets and appliances on pedestals. The uppers were installed at the standard 18" above the counters, which means the top shelf is pretty much inaccessible, at least for me. The only other downside for us was that our undercabinet lights ended up being visible by people sitting at the kitchen table, but that would be an easy fix with better planning.

    We are moving and beginning to plan a second kitchen renovation, and plan to put the counters at 38" again, but this time I would like to make the uppers an inch or two lower.

  • 15 years ago

    We are doing the exact same thing and I am DYING to have them! We only have 92.5" ceilings, so are doing 33" uppers, very tiny (1.25") crown to finish them off, and light rail so that we can still have 18" of head space. I don't care if the buyers in 10 years can't reach the top shelf. I don't even think they'd notice.

    I am 6'1/2", DH is 6'2", and when I cook in any sort of shoes (we're talking 1-2" of flip flops and clogs and not pumps), I literally can only touch the 36" counters with my fingertips. Much leaning and bending. Actually, what I do is stand very hipshot to lower myself, which is majorly yanking my spine out of alignment. I have to force myself to stand square, often spreading my legs to lower myself. Which looks stupid and makes me feel awkward. I'm not spending thousands on a kitchen and feeling awkward in it. :) We're almost ready to pull the trigger on Ultracraft, and for no upcharge, they build taller base cabs so that we don;'t have 2" platforms and massive 6" toekick.

    36" is only standard because the first round of stock and semicustom cabs decades ago decided as much and it is just fine for most people. If you want 38", GET them!