Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskoka_mum

Another White Kitchen Question - (sorry)

14 years ago

I'll make this short and sweet. We're at 'do or die' time for kitchen cab colour. We are pretty set on BM Swiss Coffee but looking at the sample I'm worried it's not 'white' enough.

However, our counters are giallo ornamental and our floors are moka java (dark oak) so I don't want it to be too stark. It's shaker style with dark pulls/knobs.

Am thinking of BM Dove White now. Is this too white?

Is there another BM White that you'd suggest?

Who knew picking a white was so impossible!!

Comments (11)

• 14 years ago

I am just finishing a kitchen with White Dove and AB honed counters. I don't find it too stark, even with the black/white contrast. I have dark walnut stained oak floors, which does a lot to warm up the space. I have very little wall space, but what I do is BM Edgemont Gray. I had white thermafoil cabinets prior to this reno - not what was start. I has considered some slightly creamier colors as well, though I don't think Swiss Coffee was one (I had considered Acadia White at one point)

One of the kitchens I looked at when making my decision was katiebob's kitchen. Should be easy to find in a search. Her cabs are also white dove.

• 14 years ago

Yes, I just saw your kitchen donho and it's GORGEOUS. The white dove looks perfect there - but your floors do help to keep the space warm....I'm trying to visualize it with dark floors...

• 14 years ago

I have white dove and its the perfect white = not too white not to cream. Remember all whites will yellow over time so cream becomes really creamy. Here is a link to my kitchen - I think swiss coffee may be too much of a tint.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Dove kitchen

• 14 years ago

I have heard White Dove is a great creamy white.
    I went with Powdered Snow by Behr. It is a soft creamy
    white that really makes you think of soft snow.
    But it is white not cream at all. If you are looking
    for a darker white this is not the shade.
    ~boxer

Here are a few GW links on the topic.

best creamy white not too yellow for cabinets

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg020919235624.html

Favorite Benjamin Moore warm white color for cabinetry

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg071007148523.html

Here is a link that might be useful: What shade of white for cabinets?! Please help

• 14 years ago

I have white dove in my kitchen and it looks whiter with my lighting than it actually is. So be sure too have a good sample to try in your actual space.

• 14 years ago

We used Benjamin Moore Simple White. It's a creamier white. However, we have a huge amount of white, even on walls, so it had to be warmer.

I think your description sounds wonderful!

• 14 years ago

DONHO - sorry, it wasn't your kitchen I saw, it was in fact Katieob's. lol. You must've been thinking "WTH"? Anyway, if her's was an inspiration to you I'm sure yours has turned out lovely. That's a great kitchen, one of the one's that's making me lean to White Dove.

• 14 years ago

So it's the lacquer. The white looks perfect on the chip, but once on a door sample with the lacquer, it gives off a bit more yellow. So, I love BM swiss coffee, but once lacquered is a bit 'duller' than I wanted.
    So, my next thoughts are:
    BM Simply White
    BM Dove White
    BM Oxford White..

Any one with lacquered white cabs in any of these colours, I'd SOOO.... appreciate some comments or pictures.

• 14 years ago

I chose BM White Dove for my painted cabinets and couldn't be happier. I believe the cabinet guys used lacquer. My pictures unfortunately don't do the color justice. It's not bright white nor is it cream, yellow or gray in tone. It's just a very soft white, very easy on the eyes - I see absolutely no yellow undertones even though mine are lacquered.

My kitchen pictures are posted in the "Under $20K Kitchens" thread, about 6 down, and also in the "That's Right..another white kitchen" thread a few pages back - although the quality of my pictures is less than ideal. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision!

• 14 years ago

Sorry I don't have lacquered white cabinets but I do have BM moonlight white. It is just a hair darker/saturated than white dove. The formulas are very similar. Some times during the day it looks bright white and at other times it looks creamy.

• 14 years ago

I love BM Chantilly Lace which we used in our kitchen and our guest bathroom. It's not too cool, not too warm, somewhere in-between. It is very white - not creamy.

My kitchen
    My Guest Bathroom