Software
Houzz Logo Print
chiefneil

Does the garage count?

18 years ago

I posted this over on the building forum, but thought there might be some interest here as well. I'm not sure if garage flooring counts as "decorating" but it looks mighty nice to me!

The original garage floor was your standard cement slab. I thought about epoxy, but decided that I wanted better longevity and a more distinct look. So I ended up going with moto floor tiles from costco. They're made by race deck, which is pretty much the leader in garage flooring products. The costco stuff is on the low-end of what they offer, but plenty good enough for me.

I did the upper landing part of the floor with epoxy. The moto floor floats, so I didn't think it would work well with the narrow space and I also needed to do something with the vertical part of the step, so I went with epoxy.

Comments (14)

  • 18 years ago

    Yes, it counts! It looks great.

  • 18 years ago

    My husband would be jealous!

  • 18 years ago

    Nice job, Chief!

  • 18 years ago

    I would love to do that to our garage. What it the price per SF?

  • 18 years ago

    gk5040, it's funny you'd say that. I was actually perfectly happy with the plain old cement, but it was DW that constantly bugged me about doing epoxy or whatever to fix it up!

    Robynpa, it came to about $3.13 per foot including shipping and tax for the tiles. Search for "moto floor" on costco.com to see the colors and price.

  • 18 years ago

    Just showed DH the picture of your garage. He really liked it and said he would love to do that to ours if it were empty. We have been remodeling and the poor garage has a bunch of junk in it at the moment. Am going to save your picture for future reference if that is ok.

    Nice job.

    DL

  • 18 years ago

    If you don't mind my asking, how much was the epoxy covering per sq. foot? Is that the kind you sprinkle with color chips to get the effect you desire?

    Is that epoxy surface slick? We have a huge basement area we'd like to finish off with drywall and a simple floor like that to use for dances. If it is non-skid, would it "grab" too much for people to dance on it? Was it difficult to apply?

  • 18 years ago

    DL, definitely the worst part wasn't the installation, it was moving everything off then back on!

    kswl, the epoxy surface would be slick with wet shoes or wet feet. I did sprinkle the flecks you see in the photo - you just paint a 3x3' area then sprinkle the flecks on. They make the surface more skid-resistant, which was important to me in a garage. If you plan to dance on it, you'd probably want to skip them, in which case it would be more like a polished hardwood floor.

    I bought a kit from Lowes for about $80-$90, if I recall correctly. It included everything you need - the epoxy, flakes, cement cleaner/etcher, brush, roller cover, and stirring stick. All you need it the actual paint roller. I think the kit said it was good for 200 sq. ft. or thereabouts, so the price was maybe 50 cents/ft. You can buy everything separately as well if you want, I was just lazy and the kit looked like a better deal for my small space.

    It was very easy to apply. It goes on just like a thicker than usual paint.

  • 18 years ago

    Verrry nice! I wish we could do that with our garage...I wish I could PARK in my garage...but DH does his work out there and so we are stuck with just the plain concrete since he often has to chisel the floors off.

    I did paint it a bright blue, tho, and hung mini-blinds in the windows, so yeah, I'd say the garage counts when you're decorating!

  • 18 years ago

    There is no way I'd show hubs these photos of your garage floor.
    Like I need one more project to add to our already overwhelming list of redo's and updatings? LOL
    Yes, garages count and yours looks fantastic!!!!

  • 18 years ago

    That is very cool! I'm not going to show it to DH 'cause I know he'd want to do it too ;-) (Maybe after we've done a few of the other things around here that need to be done...)

    We didn't epoxy our garage because friends of our have and it is *very* slick even with the flecks. Since we're in a snow area, it's probably not a good idea here.

  • 18 years ago

    Hubby and I did our garage floor about 10 years ago, still looking good,used a stencil bought at SW paint store, they have 3 patterns, and used HC stain, then clear coat over the top, carpet strips protect from tires

    Here is a link that might be useful:

  • 18 years ago

    Nice job! I will definitely show it to DH so maybe he can fix up the garage. It's clean but full of woodworking tools including all of dear brother-in-law that just moved here (Houston) from CA.
    It's nice to look at something different that pillows, curtains and paint!

  • 18 years ago

    wow !! we keep saying that were going to do the garage next...what great inspirational pics :)