Software
Houzz Logo Print
newskilz_gw

*trim color to match white icing schuler cabinets

13 years ago

I am in search for a good match to our new Schuler/Medallion WHITE ICING cabinets. Is there a good paint match out there? BM is the preferred brand of paint.

Any help would be great.

Comments (15)

  • 13 years ago

    I am not familiar with that color, but I felt bad that you have not received any responses from the color geniuses here. If the cabinets are already installed, I would probably get color strips and try to match it. It might also be possible to get a sample from your manufacturer and have it color-matched by your BM dealer. Our cabinets and trim match, but I painted the cabinets myself. Of course, if the trim is nowhere near the cabinets, you may have a little more flexibility. Good luck. So exciting getting a new kitchen, isn't it?!

  • 13 years ago

    Thank cyn427! It is stressful and I am so thrilled it is really almost completed. Just a few touch ups but all the major things are done. Now the fun part of shopping for the small appliances and figuring out all of the new drawers! I matched as well as I could to the cabinets but the trim is much whiter and they are right next to the the ceiling and top of cabinets. It's not horrible by any means.

  • 13 years ago

    Our local Benjamin Moore store has two color matching paint guys. It's possible your BM store may help you if, as suggested by pp, you take in a door as sample.

    The problem is Elkay Medallion/Innermost/Design Craft uses proprietary opaque conversion varnish. For we homeowners, it would greatly help if the company did work with BM to create a color which would generally match, but to date they have not so you must buy trim from them. Of course, that greatly slows down a kitchen project by weeks.

    Elkay does offer a "touch up kit". Two types in fact: a pencil which is pretty good on small color coverups and a two part kit you mix for deep color removal, but my GC says the latter doesn't work well at all. Wonder why Elkay offers it then or doesn't make one better such that GC's are willing to use it? Thousands of dollars at stake.

    Some GC whispered to me that Kraftmaid color touch up in white (I assume Kraftmaid Dove White) is similar enough to Elkay's "White Icing". They are both conversion varnish based and maybe the white pencil colors are compatible.. I don't know if this is true, but being in the trade as a GC cabinet installer, perhaps he is right enough to try the Kraftmaid pencil color up out. You'd have to order it from Kraftmaid and of course,you can order the Elkey paint touch up stick from them.

    Then too, you could always try other manufacturer Arctic White colors and hope for a decent match. See link below. Always try in unobtrusive place or extra trim first.

    Good luck. A lot of us are in the same boat for reasons not of our own doing.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Arctic White touch up in a can:

    This post was edited by SparklingWater on Mon, Aug 5, 13 at 11:19

  • 13 years ago

    Thank you so much for the great info. I have the touch up stick/crayon from Elkay. It's ok. I'll look into the other products.

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks for advice. I'm taking my cabinet door and matching to a Bher paint. I need to paint the trim molding between the cabinets and ceiling.

  • 11 years ago

    We had a couple of stores colormatch quarts to our Schuler divinity cabinets when thinking about trim color for adjacent woodwork. Some "matches" were way closer than others...the best was a guy that did it by eye at a local store.

  • 8 years ago

    Having this same problem as want to paint the trim around kitchen window to match cabinets (Medallion) took piece to BM (my favorite and they were unable to get it in their camera system) so I went to SW and they matched. I didn't buy yet as am waiting to hear back from Elkay/Medallion.



  • 8 years ago
    @newsmilz - what paint color did you end up using? I will be getting the white icing cabinets.
  • 8 years ago
    It is a really light light blue don’t have put he card with me but it is BM above Robin Egg
  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have 1 can of the white icing and 2 cans of white primer and 2 cans of low sheen top coat all Alkay Brand and all new never opened take all for $100 plus shipping of course I live in Northern Ontario

  • 5 years ago

    Well, your paint is what I need but 3 yrs old. Where did you find the white icing paint please?


  • 5 years ago

    OC 17 white dove from Benjamin Moore

  • 4 years ago

    Lydia, they told you it was closest to OC 17? Did you only do BM? I’m leaning towards SW Alabaster, but I’m torn between these two. Thanks