Software
Houzz Logo Print
singerslew

Is there a rule about....

16 years ago

How high to hang artwork above a console table? I recently hung a print on the wall between my kitchen and butler's pantry. It hangs relatively high so as to not interfere with a light switch on the left-hand side of the wall. While I love the print it definitely looks like it's floating in no-man's land, so i would love to put a console piece below it to anchor it. I can't put just any piece underneath it, since the air intake for the air conditioner is also on that wall. I found an open, scrolly (faux) iron console on the Ballard Designs website that is 33" tall and 50" wide. Since most consoles are 30" tall, this one is taller than average. My problem is that there is still a 15 inch gap between the console and the framed print. Would it be okay if I place things on top of the console that are tall enough to make it relate to the picture (ie, plant, lamp..etc)

Comments (17)

  • 16 years ago

    A picture would help to see how it relates...but another idea is to get some cool brackets & a shelf and place it under the picture. I love the look of a basket or cool pot with a big plant (way oversized) on a console, too.

    Smiles:)

  • 16 years ago

    This picture shows the wall between my kitchen and butler's pantry. The pink beach towel on the floor shows the footprint of the console in question:

    In this picture the light switch and air intake are more visible...

    This is the Ballard design console. It is 33" tall and 50" wide. The console actually covers most of the intake but 2-3 inches would still peak through above the top...

    Here is the console all done up : )

    Thanks for the input!

  • 16 years ago

    I think it could work. Could you paint the vent the wall color?

    You may want to consider putting the console up on two nicely stained and finished blocks of wood to raise the height of it above the top edge of the vent especially since it is off center. If it was done right it could look like the console sits on a wood plinth.

  • 16 years ago

    That is a beautiful console and will look great there and still allow airflow...good choice. If you decide not to try setting it up on blocks, you could try a low long planter/basket with a nice plant in front of the top of the vent. If you paint the grill same color as your wall like palimpsest suggested, it will blend in more. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

  • 16 years ago

    So after playing around with paintbrush, this is an approximation of the proportions...

    I think I can get away with it by putting a tall pot with a full plant in it (fern maybe?) and possibly a lamp or some tall candlesticks. If that doesn't work, then I like the idea of the long basket with foliage that was suggested. And yes, we plan on painting the intake the same color as the wall - though I need help in that area as well!

  • 16 years ago

    Looks like you could lower the picture alittle w/o covering the light switch. You can hide the 2-3 inches of the intake with your ferns, etc.

    I don't know why you asked the advise of this board - I think you resolved your problem PERFECTLY ! The console is beautiful and works well with picture...

  • 16 years ago

    jeannie01 - just having some pre-purchase dissonance. I wanted to make sure I wasn't making some huge mistake. Thanks for your vote of confidence!

  • 16 years ago

    Just for the record... there is a rule about hanging artwork, and that it that it be more or less at eye level, in other words the center of the painting would be at eye level, though if the picture was unusually large, a bit higher. You should not have to crane your neck to look at pictures and they look silly just plonked up high (as you realized, yourself).

  • 16 years ago

    Good point larke... though wouldn't that depend on the height of the person who hung the picture? My husband hung the frame. The center of the print is definitely at his eye level and he's 6'1". I'm 5'5", so the center of the picture is a little bit above my head...

  • 16 years ago

    IMO, ceiling height should be considered also. I have an 'art wall' about 25' in height, and have centered a cabinet with art work hung above as well as on each side. Since it is such a big wall, it wouldn't have looked right with the art hung only at eye level~the art extends almost 3/4 of the way up the wall, leaving about 8' of wall space. The art is also rather large in scale so it doesn't look like a wall of postage stamp sized pictures. ;o)

  • 16 years ago

    I always think of the art work that hangs in the White House....it's really high up. I'm sure they have a decorator....here's an example....

    Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

  • 16 years ago

    Art at the White House is placed higher so that it's harder for visitors to touch any of it! Also, there's a tendency to want to "elevate" the art so it's almost exalted--designed to cement the iconic, hero-ic symbolism of presidents and first ladies.

  • 16 years ago

    Southernfrenchie, you might try moving the picture to the right so that you can lower it and still access the light switch. Pictures don't always have to be centered on walls.

    I love palimpsest's idea of putting the console table on a riser.

  • 16 years ago

    The console has been ordered and should be here in a week or two.... I admit I'm having a hard time picturing what this piece would look like on a riser. It has little ball feet and it seems like they would need to be enclosed somehow?

    You guys have all given me some great ideas though!

  • 16 years ago

    I had a similar problem with a different console (similar size, though) from Ballard a couple of years ago! I had a painting over the console and there seemed to be too much space between the art and the top of the console. I just put a few tall things on top of the console and it helped a lot. I think that's an easier solution than trying to add some type of riser to the bottom.

  • 16 years ago

    sueb20 - thanks for the reassurance. I'd love to see photos of your console. It's nerve wracking when you spend a lot of money to ship an item. The last thing I want to do is spend more money to ship it back!

  • 16 years ago

    graywings is right. Move it all over to the right. It doesn't have to be centered.