Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

Does anyone have Cosentino Eco Countertops?

petra_gw
13 years ago

Last weekend, we went looking for countertops again. I dragged so many countertop samples home, I almost needed a wheelbarrow for my purse.

Eco Luna looked the absolute best, even much better than Zodiaq Antique Pearl. Everything else was too dark or too light. Luna is light, but not bright white and no gray tones, and it contains little sparkles, whee. :o)

But while we both love the color, I am just not sure about several issues. First of all, it comes in 2 centimeters, or with a fabricated edge which makes it look like 4 centimeters. However, it is already expensive, and the edge adds almost $2 per linear inch! And I don't know if 2 centimeters without an edge would look too flimsy?

Second, apparently, it's only been in commerce for 2 years and the warranty was originally 5 years. Now it's up to 10 years, whereas comparable countertops have 25 year warranties. This makes me nervous as the product hasn't been around long and it might have severe flaws which won't become evident til later.

There isn't much info online, just a few people complaining about scratches which appear to be related to mishandling by the installer.

So, lots to consider and I am really hoping someone who has had an Eco countertop for a while will weigh in.

Comments (28)

• burntfingers
    13 years ago

Petra,

I just looked at this countertop and at the company's website this afternoon. I've decided against because the website still says the warranty is 5 years (where did you see 10 years?) and because altho the display said it didn't scorch, the warranty posted on the website says not to put hot things on it because it could scorch (and you'll void the warranty). That's a non-starter for me.

Don't know if this is any help, but ....

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

burntfingers, the Lowe's guy said it now has a 10 year warranty! I wonder if he was mistaken? Re. the scorching, last night I put a very hot pan on the sample and left it until it cooled, and no damage. Also tried to scratch it, it did not sustain any damage.

I am really torn about this, hubby loves it and I do too, but I don't want us to spend a mint on something which will deteriorate and have to be replaced fairly soon. I hope someone who has had it installed will comment.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I emailed the company directly, and received a quick reply. They do have a 10 year warranty. I asked some other questions, but was referred to call customer service. So we'll see how it goes.

• sue_b
    13 years ago

I do in 2 bathrooms and I have had it a year and a half. A bathroom gets less wear and tear but I am very very happy with it. Mine is Riverbed. It has water standing on it often and it definitely still looks brand new.
    On my kitchen island I chose polished Red Verona marble and it is too soft, scratched, has a chip and water around the sink and faucet have dulled the polish significantly. So in my experience Eco by Cosentino is more forgiving than marble.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue, that is really pretty!! I love the pattern, does it have sparkly bits like the Luna?

You don't know how glad I am to read a real-life review, thanks so much for posting.

• sue_b
    13 years ago

Yes it has sparkly bits!! I ordered 1 vanity riverbed & 1 White Diamonds. The templating day I went to work & husband signed templating unfortunately and we got 2 Riverbed color. It's my bathroom top in the pix & I love the Eco vanity top.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Sueb,

Love your bathroom sink.

I know very little about consentino, and wanted to know
    how do you clean it? Can you use bleach?
    I am thinking of doing this in my kids bathroom. I have
    that horrible 90s white tile that needs to go. I like
    the idea of an integrated sink. I especially love the
    color you chose.

Thanks for posting.
    ~boxer

• sue_b
    12 years ago

Hello boxerpups, I am especially honored that you like my countertop! I am sure you can use bleach on this. The main ingredients are porcelain and an epoxy to hold it together. But it's never so dirty it needs bleach. Spray cleaner has been fine and easy.
    Last year you posted a pic of cool Pottery Barn towels with a pretty turquoise and coral bird and floral pattern. I asked you told me the source. I got them for this same bathroom and they are beautiful (although they snag if you look at them crosseyed). Some day I'll post pix.

Here is a link that might be useful: Audrey Organic Bath Towels bird print

• andrea131
    12 years ago

Too funny - I was just thinking about searching this site for to see if anyone has ever installed these countertops. Petra, how does the price compare to granite?

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

andrea, just now saw your post!! I am not too knowledgeable about granite prices, but we paid $47 a square foot for the ECO Luna. They had a 10% discount at the time we ordered it. They already measured a couple days ago, and it should be installed in approx. 20 working days. It only comes in 2 centimeter thickness and we decided not to get the built up edge which brings it to 4 centimeters because that would have stuck out too far in some spots. Plus, they don't use underlayments, so we have to figure out how to remove the legs from the slide-in range because as it is, it will sit too high after the countertop install.

• melsey
    12 years ago

Petra, I think you were smart with the 2cm thickness. My neighbor got a 4cm Caesarstone. Although the color is beautiful (can't remember the name), 4cm is a lot to look at. I know she thinks it looks a little too "heavy" at the edges. Sure makes me wonder why they don't have 3cm in some colors!

• PRO
    Olive Mill
    12 years ago

Be very careful about the warranty. Most, if not all, only cover the material itself. Some even state that if the fabricator does not catch a defect it is his responsibility.

This puts all the liability on the fabricator. They may not be financially equipped to handle a countertop replacement.

Carefully inspect the material after installation and before you pay the balance. Getting a manufacturer rep to come and see a warranty claim can be a challenge.

From my experience, most material does not have problems after installation. Complaints are typically fabricator error or customer abuse. Neither will be covered.

Andy
    Countertop Review

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Melsey, the 4 cm looks very "bulky", for lack of a better word. :o) And at a minimum of $1.20 per linear inch, depending on what edging you want, it did not seem worth it.

Andy, thanks for the pointers. Will be sure to thoroughly inspect as soon as it is installed.

• cedarlaketrl_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

NOT ONLY DO I HAVE ONE (INSTALLED ONE MONTH AGO but a 'technician; just left my house (seriously, he just left) after trying, yet again, to get out what they keep telling me is 'resin pooling' spots. I got the black top called Starlight and, quite frankly, designed my whole kitchen remodel around the counter top. I purchased the top through Lowe's & they have been most helpful in getting the Cosentino representative in the Twin Cities to address my concerns. It looks like there are black, greasy fingerprints throughout the top & the rep told me it's called resin pooling & that it can't be helped. Well maybe they should mention that in the brochures. My kitchen is small, but my counter top was over $5,000.00 & I really expected a better quality of product. If it looks horrible tonight I'll be on the phone to Lowe's on Monday morning asking them to come out & tell me what my options are. If, however, whatever the guy did this afternoon works, then there's obviously some quality control issues at the point of manufacture. IT MAKES MY WHOLE KITCHEN, but I won't keep it if they can't resolve this issue. Good luck!

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cedarlake, the starlight sample I saw in person was beautiful, I can understand designing your kitchen around it. I hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction. I am hoping with the light colored luna top, pooling won't be an issue. But in case it is, it's good to know Lowe's has been helpful.

• carolfox_masiello_com
    12 years ago

MJ, Did the issue with your "pooling" get resolved? Starlight is the color I want and I am hesitating to take the plunge until I learn more about this product. Have you had any other issues? Are you happy with the product? Thanks so much.

• Lauren Wollmershauser
    12 years ago

I hate for my first post here to be a cautioning one, but here goes:

We fell hard for the Eco White Diamonds, but when I took a sample home, everything I threw at it stained it. Not surface stains, but red wine/soy sauce/food coloring embedded down into the surface. You could see the stains underneath the glass aggregate.

We tried with several samples and then took them back to their warehouse here in Dallas to see what could be done to prevent the staining... They were flummoxed. All they said was that it's "stain resistant", not stain proof and that maybe another kind of countertop would be better for us.

• OCJeff
    12 years ago

Yes (!!) I did the same with the White Diamonds... The red wine seemed to seep into the edges between the glass and resin.

DW loved the idea of the glass cover and all, but it failed the first test.

We ended up going with Caesarstone Nougat.

• caryscott
    12 years ago

I think Consumer's eliminated this product from its' latest testing because it developed a thermal crack during heat tests. Other recycled glass products only scored "good" for stain resistance and "poor" for impact resistance. These products did well in the three other testing criteria though and were ranked 3rd (again excluding this specific manufacturer).

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We've had the eco luna installed for a month now, and no problems with staining or anything else. I love the sparkles and it is very easy to clean. We had company last weekend and the countertops got quite a workout, with spilled tomato sauce, spilled juice, watermelon juice, bbq sauce, vinaigrette, and various other assaults. Of course, everything got wiped up fairly quickly but, in the case of the bbq sauce, the overturned bottle was not noticed for quite a while. And still no stains.

• ptamom
    12 years ago

I brought home samples and they didnt seem to etch, but scratched much more easily than silestone. I passed for that reason. It is lovely though.

• ifd57
    11 years ago

I installed Eco by Cosentino and I love it. The problem is that one of the slabs installed has 23 small pits. The fabricator was reluctant to replace, but Cosentino made the decision to replace it. Now the fabricator wants me pay the job in full before the order a new slab, because 'warranty is applicable to products paid in full'. I am not quite sure what to do. My thinking that warranty should not be applied to the product which had 23 pits at the moment of installation, such a slab should not have been even installed in the first place. I am quite willing to pay full price for a quality job, but I am afraid I will lose the last leverage if I pay the job in full to the fabricator BEFORE the defective slab is removed from my home and the good slab installed.
    Overall I got RIVERBED and I LOVE IT. This particular defective slab is some unfortunate circumstance, I still love my new countertop. Please advise.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

ifd57 - Perhaps you should have a word with Cosentino about this interpretation of their warranty. What's to say the scenario isn't that you pay them and they never get around to fixing it? In many ways money owed is the only leverage you have to see the job gets done satisfactorily.

• greye
    6 years ago

sunseeker - I am getting a White diamond counter-top installed and I wonder what back-splash you settled on. Grace

• lawasser
    6 years ago

i see this is an old post but i'm wondering @greye did you go with that silestone white diamond eco countertop? i've read a lot of mixed reviews and wonder if you like it! whether it has chipped or stained - particularly around the sink area.

• Linda Architect
    6 years ago

Owner tested and loved for 4 years. I chose it because it's eco-friendly and produced by a reputable company. We were very careful around it for the first year, afraid to stain/scratch/scorch it. Now we don't even think about it as it's proven to be very durable. After 4 years it still looks exactly as it did the day it was installed. We are designing a new house and intend to buy it again. My only eco complaint is that it's shipped from Spain so it's environmental footprint isn't as great as if it were constructed in the U.S.

• queenofwaves
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I have Ecos white diamond. It is awful after 6 yrs. Glass popping out. Color completely changed. We have followed manufacturers instructions to use only soap and water to clean. We have good city water. 2 of us living in the home 9 months out of the year. Cosentino first blamed water..?!?!?! And now a very small shaded window in our kitchen. Are you kidding me. A kit hen that uses no water and has no windows is a great place to install this product. Have been working with Cosentino and installers for over 9 months and have gotten nowhere at all. I'm disgusted with this product and that they actually get away with advertising it as a non staining, no maintenance product. Did I mention there are well over 100 pieces of glass that have chipped out. See photo. That is the sample of the product we purchased 6 yrs ago and the actual stained color it is now. Horrible. I wouldn't say its non staining. It's not a spot, the entire counter has degraded and changed color. Although we were td even though it is recycled it would not degrade over time. Save yourself, time and energy and purchase something better with a real warranty. The warranty nothing. Just a bunch of words.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!