Software
Houzz Logo Print
airedale4mom

blanco ss sink grids looking bad

16 years ago

I've only had my blanco ss sink grids since Xmas and they're starting to look bad already! I usually just wipe them with a dishcloth and detergent but they're looking grungy or discolored or something. I tried using a soft toothbrush to no avail which makes me think the finish is wearing off, especially where the joints of each little square is. Is anyone else having this problem? These grids were too expensive to look like this so soon.

Comments (14)

  • 16 years ago

    mom- they are a wear item, mostly for keeping your sink bottom cleaner and free from scratches.

    these things are tools and unless you live in a museum that has no wear and tear , you should not expect items to look clean, new, pretty , mad pristine much past the first week.

  • 16 years ago

    I have the Blanco ss sink grid also and the corners do show a white like color-probably from the detergent/dish soap residue. I just now took the blue no scratch scrub sponge and it came right off. Looks like I'll be doing this maybe once a month. Are you saying that you can't get yours clean?? It's going to be a PITA because there are a LOT of those squares. This grid is expensive and the finish shouldn't be coming off. Where did you buy yours? Lots of folks have these grids so please chime in and tell us an easy way to keep them clean!! I wanted my new kitchen to be less maintenance but, sadly, it doesn't seem to be working out-LOL.

  • 16 years ago

    I find it takes some effort to clean these also. But I don't recall a white buildup, I wonder if perhaps you have hard water and it may be that?

    The easiest way to clean mine is probably filling it with enough hot water and Oxyclean powder to cover the grid well. Then I let it soak for an hour or so, and give it a scrub with a long-handled brush (so I don't have to get my hands into the chemicals). I don't do this often though because it annoys me to not be able to use my sink while it's soaking - yes, I'm an impatient person! LOL

  • 16 years ago

    Olga-you may be on to something. I have well water and, yes, it's hard. I'll give your tip a try-thanks!!

  • 16 years ago

    That's one reason I wouldn't even consider a sink grid. One more thing to clean!

  • 16 years ago

    Thanks Olga! Yep, hard water here too but today I tried wiping those darn corners with vinegar and it didn't help. Oxyclean is next, along with the blue scrubbie!

    Glad to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this. I hate putting clean dishes on the grid when it looks so grungy!

  • 16 years ago

    I'm getting a Blanco sink and grid, too, so i appreciate the info on grid maintainance. A friend of mine has the Blanco grid, and its very clean, and over 3 yrs old.

  • 16 years ago

    Will yours fit in your DW? I was planning to do that with mine.

  • 16 years ago

    I just pulled out the instructions and it says DO NOT: use scouring pads, abrasive cleaners, harsh detergents, vinyl solvents, or substances containing aromatic, hydrocarbons, or ketones to clean your grid. We do not recommend our SS grids or baskets for the dishwasher.

    Clean grid with warm, soapy water. (Too bad that doesn't work, LOL!)

  • 16 years ago

    How about Bar Keepers Friend or a liquid SS cleaner? Very interested to see how you resolve this.

  • 16 years ago

    I did try bar keepers friend and I think it looked a little better but there's so darn many of those squares and they all look better until the grid dries and then you can see the grunge. I didn't give it a really good try though, thought maybe someone here would have a better solution.

  • 6 years ago

    The sink grid drives me crazy! After trying different things without success, I have come to believe that it is caused by hard water stains. According to the Blanco website, you can use CLR in the sink and on the grid. That is my next plan of attack.

  • 6 years ago

    @Sandy - you have resurrected a 10-year-old thread. In any case, many of us don’t use a sink grid at all. For me, it would be one more thing to clean or to look at as it’s getting grungy. Life is too short.