Software
Houzz Logo Print
amemm

Door decisions... Need help.

18 years ago

We are building a mudroom to our 1950s colonial, and are having a hard time deciding what type of entry door to use.

Wood or fiberglass?

I love the look of wood doors, but our (very practical) contractor is pushing for fiberglass. All our doors are wood now, so I'm wondering how much more superior a fiberglass door is to wood (especially one w a lot of glass).

Glass questions..

Since getting natural light in the room is important, I want the door to be at least 1/2 glass. Neither DH or I want any of the leading/caning art glass looks that seem to be on 99% of the doors sold today. The ones with glass that we like are mostly listed as patio doors.

Is it wise to use a patio door as the entry door to the mudroom? This is the the entrance that is used by both family and guests so I want it to look good, but be sturdy. It will take a lot of abuse from pets and kids, and needs to survive slamming, errant basketballs and wet dog noses.

Is tempered glass standard?

We are on a fairly public, main road. Luckily, we've never had a break-in, but is a glass door like that an invitation to thieves?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

  • 18 years ago

    Yes, all door glass is tempered.

    As to wood v. fiberglass: If this is a southern or western exposure wood will be much higher maintenence. On an east or north face, wood will still take more, but not enough to be really burdensome. Overhangs matter a lot, as well. If this will be painted and not stained, the difference appearence will be so slight that I'd do fiberglass in a heartbeat.

    I have several french doors on my new house, glass down to about a foot above the floor. They aren't hung as double doors like most french doors. But they are all on porches and decks, not 'real' entry doors. Andersen brand, clad exteriors, wood inside.

    Dogs will mess them up if there's anything of interest to them out there. Mine have even scratched the glass [permantently] on my current sliding door, due to times I've had to lock them outdoors when I had company. But personally, I prefer a half light door for entries-- glass down to about waist level, with an opening window and screen.

    I don't think its a security issue, though. Any door where you can reach the handle by breaking the glass is the same in that regard. For that matter, any window without bars that can be reached from ground level.

  • 18 years ago

    We're all wood too except for the safety door to the garage and the back door, which is the sort of half-glass you describe; ours has muntins between two panes of glass. We also have a storm/screen on that door for further protection against weather and airflow in the warm weather.

  • 18 years ago

    ProVia Door offers a glass that is laminated and resists break ins.

    Michael

  • 18 years ago

    Thanks so much for the responses.

    The mudroom entrance will have an overhang, but it is facing southwest. Wood doors are just gorgeous, but I'll now need to find a fiberglass door with glass layout we like. Unfortunately there is no room for transoms or sidelights..