Software
Houzz Logo Print
vickie_buchner

Not very Beachy!!

2 days ago

Hi All!

We just purchased this beach house a couple months ago and it has beautiful, high quality cabinets and cherry floors but it is just not our style at all. Love some creative, budget- friendly ideas on how to give this an updated modern coastal aesthetic. Not opposed to painting cabinets and updating counters and backsplash. Thanks in advance.

Comments (33)

  • PRO
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

    Looks like nice floors but we are only seeing the kitchen what does the rest of the space look like.? IMO the cabinets painted would be a good choice but they do seem to have some traditional looks can you live with that ? The trim , that fancy column all say traditional so what are you planning for budget and also can we see the rest of the spaces.In your idea book I see 2 very different styles .

  • 2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

    those are nice cabs - I would not paint them, they likely won't wear as well - I think you just need to refine some details - some ideas:

    - add chunky white pottery in the corner glass cabinet to brighten it up

    - clear the counters and add some white & blue ceramics/accessories

    - add a bamboo shade or coastal fabric roman shade at the window (hang above the window so you don't block any light when it is pulled up)

    - clear the island and add a purposeful centerpiece (I have the giant Ballard Designs clam shell on my dining table in the summer and it's fun I think)

    - hard to see the BS from the photo but that is an easy change

    I am sure others will have ideas as well -

  • 2 days ago

    Kitchen looking into dining area

  • 2 days ago

  • 2 days ago

    Tv

  • 2 days ago

    Looking into kitchen from tv room

  • 2 days ago

    Excuse the mess we are just playing around with layout etc. At this point I’d like to change out everything but need to prioritize. Don’t think I can live with the dark cabinets

  • 2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

    ”Not very beachy” ? what does that mean? My house is at the beach / harbor, is more of a modern style but not what I would describe as ”beachy”. I wouldn’t paint those cabinets, I would lean into a more traditional coastal look ( e.g., blue & white chinoiserie, things like that). Just curious, you state that it’s ”just not our style at all”. Why did you buy it? Location?

  • 2 days ago

    Saying "not very beachy" reminds me of people that say you can't bring your furniture from up north down to a house in FL. Strange ideas!

    I have used most of the same furniture in a contemporary cape and colonial houses in the northeast, a Spanish style in CA and now a Spanish inspired, but clean/straight lined house in FL (that I designed). Oh, forgot the same furniture was also used in an apartment in Asia during a multi year international work relocation!

    Develop your own style and it should not be dependent on whatever might be outside ... beach, woods, hills, tropical foliage, urban, suburban, etc.

  • 2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

    It's very formal looking. I prefer a contrast in floor to cabinets, but since they are of a better quality, I would not paint the cabinets.

    Paint the rest of the house and minimize the contrasts with the trims, including the crown.

    I'd paint out all the walls and ceiling in a Drenched white with a undertone to soften the look, keep the "sand" colored upholstered furniture.


    Get a soft patterned area rug with soft blues/aquas and Beachy up the accents.

    https://ruggable.com/products/morris-and-co-montreal-natural-jade-tufted-rug?size=9x12&system=rug-cvr

    BM Palest Pistachio a great color to pair with Navy for a nautical look.

    I'd even change out all the hardware for polished brass... bright sunshine at the beach.


  • 2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

    Maybe look at Serena & Lily ... cliche beachy look, but even they seem to be moving away from the very monochromatic white/gray palette they had a few years ago and seem to be adding more color/pattern.

    https://www.serenaandlily.com/shop-the-look-living

    Your current kitchen would fit in fine with that look, so spend the money on new furniture.

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    I totally get that you don’t like the cabinets in a beach house. I love raised panel cherry cabinets and had them for over 20 years in my primary residence. But we have off white in our vacation home near the beach. What is your budget? The optimal choice IMO would be to sell or donate the cabinets and get new painted ones in a light color.

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    Or a light wood. If that doesn’t work then have the existing cabinets painted. If You indeed cannot accept the dark ones there’s nothing wrong with painting them. Then get light countertops and a pretty tile backsplash . Something colorful and/or hand painted.

  • 2 days ago

    I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment and make suggestions! When I say beachy I am referring to lighter colors and a much more relaxed style. I just gravitate towards that aesthetic even in my primary home. Light blues, whites, tans, greens, greys. I have never been a fan of dark wood but the house is in an area that we love and is well built so we don’t mind working on it to reflect our tastes.

  • 2 days ago

    This was our old condo and I still think it’s beautiful!

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    Good answer Vicky as to why you bought the house. In my area people buy houses near the beach and then totally knock them down to get exactly what they want, so painting cabinets is a much less expensive option.

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    At the very minimum, paint the cabinets white or off white, get new countertops and backsplash. Would be nice to refinish the floors either pale or dark. These small changes will evoke more of a coastal feel than what is there now. Currently the red traditional cabinets and floors are giving a dated traditional look.

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    I’m going to guess that the floors are laminate, in which case you can’t refinish them. If you want different floors you would need to change them throughout the house. Another not inexpensive option. But maybe I’m wrong.

  • PRO
    2 days ago

    That's why I asked about the budget, which will drive all the decisions.

  • 2 days ago

    The floors look in good condition so depending on the budget you may or may not want to replace them. Here’s a couple of ideas for both current flooring and new flooring.

  • 2 days ago

    Thank you! I actually like the photo with the current floors better!

  • yesterday

    I’ve had that color wood floors in my home for 18 yrs now and I love the color even though it is not the current trend. They’re beautiful.

  • PRO
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    White, white, white and new hardware on the cabinets. Keep the stain.



    The rest comes in all in your decor.



  • yesterday

    I'd replace the backsplash with a blue one and call it done. Pretty much all shades of blue go well with that beautiful cherry. It's an open space, so the rest of your decor will be beachy enough. The cabinets are lovely and I wouldn't paint them.

    oakland rockridge bungalow renovation and addition · More Info


    Westchester Residence · More Info




    Transitional Cherry Kitchen in Alexandria, Virginia · More Info



    Modern Urban Kitchen Renovation · More Info


  • yesterday

    I like chispa’s comment re style. Even though my taste runs more modern, one of my favorite beach houses belongs to a friend of ours, it’s furnished very traditionally, mostly 18th century English antiques with similar flooring and cabinets. Her home overlooks the ocean here in Newport Beach.

  • PRO
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

    Forgive me. What did you want when you bought it? The location! It's a very traditional suburban style home that HAPPENS to be located at the beach..

    You are saying, that no matter where you'd live, city or shore, a very casual , light, airy, sea, sand feeling is what you like. You knew that when you bought this, and you bought it how long ago?

    You plan on keeping it I assume?

    For the moment, you ditch the lumpy micro fiber seating I see in the pictures and furnish. Rugs, upholstery and paint .......can proceed while you think about the kitchen.

    First ? The flooring. Do you love it ? I think it is laminate, and I doubt you can refinish. If you like it keep it and PAINT the cabinets, change counters /splash. Or? You gut the kitchen. You asked "budget friendly" That means WHAT exactly? 20 grand, less ,more etc.

    Life and homes are not Amazon .com. It does not need to be BEACH beautiful a month after purchase.. You wanted this? It's not what you bought...: )










  • PRO
    yesterday

    Am in agreement - the original kitchen isn't very beachy. Your cabinetry looks very good but doesn't give a beach vibe for sure. The cabinetry looks to be very good quality and in many cases I wouldn't suggest painting. But if you want beachy will suggest that you do just that - paint them an off white color to lighten and brighten the kitchen.

  • 22 hours ago

    I don't think the floors are laminate.

    They look like the popular engineered wood floors from the 1990s ... probably Brazilian Cherry.

  • 22 hours ago

    Floors are veneer

  • PRO
    20 hours ago

    Wood or laminate/plastic?

  • 17 hours ago

    Veneer? Do you mean engineered wood floors that have a 3 to 6 mm wood surface layer with plywood core underneath?

  • 17 hours ago

    Yes I believe so

  • PRO
    10 hours ago

    or it could be a laminate veneer. if it's engineered wood with a thick top layer, it could possibly be refinished. if laminate, no. you would need a flooring expert to advise you.