Software
Houzz Logo Print
jprain

I hate painting.

14 years ago

I just had to get that off my chest.

Comments (15)

  • 14 years ago

    LOL Then, I guess you wouldn't want to hear that I LOVE painting.

  • 14 years ago

    Where do you live?? I have a kitchen, one wall in the living room and an entry for you in St Paul, MN.

  • 14 years ago

    I loved painting. It's instant gratification--in the morning, you have a dull, lifeless room and by nightfall it can be bright and cheerful and clean. Then we put on an addition and remodeled and I painted every room in the house, walls, ceiling, two coats. Something like 26 gallons of paint. (Vaulted ceiling in the kitchen, many gallons of paint went there).

    I can hardly stand to look at a paint brush. The guys came a few weeks ago and repaired some dings in the wall. There they sit, small white patches looking like the mark of Zorro. I'm just ignoring them for another week or two because I don't want to shake up another gallon of paint. I'm not sure when I'll begin to love painting again.

    Cj

  • 14 years ago

    Worse than painting, is stripping wall paper. And worse than stripping wall paper, is scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing the walls to get the paste off so you can paint. I just spent the last week doing that at my daughters house. After doing all that work, painting should be a breeze.

  • 14 years ago

    Worse than painting is having to repaint because you don't like the color ... even though you did all the right things by making test boards and painting test samples on the walls. I am having this same problem with an exterior color, but this involves paying painters to do the work, so even more pressure to get it right. Arrrgh!

  • 14 years ago

    Oh ya chispa...I haven't told DH yet that's what I have in mind. NOT loving the color on the kitchen walls. I have to make it his idea though.. Gotta work on that!

  • 14 years ago

    I'm another one that enjoys painting. I'm on vacation visiting son in GA (live in SD) and I painted one wall in the kitchen and today I'm painting daughter's bedroom and bath (she is living with bro while finishing college, he's single)

    I'm so TKO that we've spent a lot of money on stuff for his kitchen, including 9' of uppers from Ikea to give him more storage. Of course I had to paint that wall before the cabs get installed . . . Son can paint the other walls as he has time, which may mean I'll do it when we come back down here in another three years LOL! - He's on the "I hate painting side"

  • 14 years ago

    I HATE painting too. And I'm bad at it! Couldn't believe how inexpensive it was to have painters paint. And it looks 1000 times better than when I have tried! Painters were the best investment ever.

  • 14 years ago

    To each his own I guess. I dislike painting but detest the prep work. I wish my son lived in Florida since he is a painting contractor but in NY. May pay for Momma to treat him to a nice little vacation down here and put him to work! Actually... he'd love too, but he can't take the time.

  • 14 years ago

    I don't hate painting, but I'm with remodelfla--I hate prep. My last apartment hadn't been painted since (I'm guessing here) the 70s, and had been painted by amateurs who really sucked at painting. The worst was when I did my bedroom. The house was lath and plaster, and there was one wall that looked like it had gotten water damage at some point. You could see 3 or 4 different colors of paint on that wall where it had peeled or chipped, and there was a chunk of plaster missing so you could see the lath. Other parts of the room had been patched badly with patching plaster so that it was lumpy (couldn't they have invested in a trowel or at least a putty knife?). When I started prepping, I discovered that there was a very thin, very oxidized, very flaky layer of paint some 3 layers down, and almost everything on top of it would scrape off easily. I did prep work for 2 weeks (around my day job), and was in tears. Finally we decided it was good enough, put down a layer of primer to stick it all together, and painted. What a pain.

    Then I moved, and this place had been painted professionally recently. I've painted four rooms, and it's been easy. Virtually no prep, done in a weeked (I never understood before when people talked about paining as a weekend project). The bathroom, though, was not included in that professional paint job, and it turned out someone had painted latex over oil-based paint without primer. Bad, very bad. It started peeling. I took a stab a prepping it myself, and quickly said, "No way." I hired a pro--best money I ever spent.

  • 14 years ago

    Never a weekend project for me either. Plaster cracks and assorted wall repairs take forever when life keeps interrupting.

    I like the results of painting, but not the process.

  • 14 years ago

    ME TOO!!! HATE HATE HATE painting!!! No pain, no paint! Especially ceilings! ARGH! And corners...........and edging.......and the prep work ........and taping. HATE IT!

    But I LOVE when I see the results!

  • 14 years ago

    I agree there's plenty of satisfaction afterwards, but I still don't enjoy painting; and I'm sure it's because I have very little patience for it and want it all done NOW. Thus I rush and make mistakes and usually at least one mess.

  • 14 years ago

    LOL! Our adult son was living here during our DIY reno last fall. He was a trooper - we waited for him to have time off to help with some jobs like carrying in the tall cabinets, which weigh 3 tons and needed at least the 3 of us to move inside. The one thing he wasn't up for was painting. He hates it, he hates being around while it is happening, he hates the whole paint thing. As a child we sent him off to visit the grandparents when we needed to paint so he wouldn't have an asthma attack. Maybe those early asthma-inducing paint jobs are the source of his loathing. At least paint isn't so stinky any more.

  • 5 years ago

    I HATE PAINTING,TOO! First, stripping the wallpaper. Then wipe all the remnants away..from the floor,too. Then spackel..sand..clean the dust..then there's the corners that are just exposed because the house is soooooo old. Spackle and sand them. Then try and learn how to tape, spackle and sand those corners! Then just try and find ALL the cracks and holes and imperfections so I can spackle and sand them!! Then clean up the sanding dust AGAIN even after buying a sander with a bag! And that's before taping the trim and covering the floor to try and avoid spills on the hardwood! What a pain!!!! It took a month just to paint the entryway and it still doesn't look like I did that much work!!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH