Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jansblooms

Exterior entry steps

jansblooms
13 years ago

We built a new home last summer but have yet to finish the exterior stairs and landscaping. I've done enough research to select shade-tolerant shrubs, perennials, and annuals for under our oak trees, but I can't plant them until the sidewalk/path and stairs are in place.

I need help with a vision for stairs. As the photo shows, I'll need steps in two places, one on the south near the front door, replacing the old temporary steps there now, and also on the east end of the porch. I expect that the east stairs will be used most, as they are closest to where any guest would park on our acreage. There will be a Y-shaped walk to connect with both sets of steps.

Would you suggest stained wood, concrete steps, or white steps of synthetic material? (We are trying to eliminate as much maintenance as possible, so we don't want to paint.) The porch is gray concrete. I think I'd like railings to match the white porch railings. Are there other ideas I haven't even considered?

The white house is trimmed with black shutters, light gray textured gables, red doors, and pewter/charcoal shingles. On the right/east of the photo are the mud room and garage, not shown, with matching gable.

I will appreciate any suggestions or opinions you share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom52's Album House Front

Comments (2)

Sponsored