Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grlwprls

Attic Bathroom

grlwprls
10 years ago

As you know, this summer I've been working on my daughter's attic suite. I posted earlier the finished bedroom, but added some finished pictures to this thread just to keep it all together.

The bathroom up in the attic is a study of bad space planning, crazy angles and the dreaded clawfoot tub/shower. The plumber is coming this week to install a new riser pipe and surround. The original one leaked and we took it down.

My daughter is 13 and I've worked really hard to make her a space that reflects her aesthetic, not mine. For instance, all this visual clutter would drive me crazy, but she needs to see All the Things (all the time).

I wish I had some befores of the bathroom, but it was the same Baby Diaper Green as the rest of the attic, but part of the ceiling was white as it is open (yes...wide open) to the stairwell.

But, here are my afters. And great thanks to elfa for making things possible with the spiral staircase!

Vanity Area:

Tub:

With rope light on at night:

View from her bedroom:

Desk Area in Main Bedroom:

Her Karate "maypole":

Comfy chair:

Comments (11)

• funkyart
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful-- I'd never talk back or stay out late with a suite like that! Hell, I'd never want to LEAVE!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Great use of the space. Perfect!

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Funkyart,

I can only hope that's the result :-) That would make all the aqua blue paint in my hair worth it!

• User
    10 years ago

What a MOM you are....the best...it is her room...and you have helped to make it so. A great start on the road of life...a secure and loving home. c

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

My 12.5 yo DD would lose her mind over a room like that. Her favorite colors are similar, too! And, her room is also a study in Visual Clutter, but she is very orderly about all her stuff.

Great job!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

I love all of it but I really love the poster. I mustache you a question. LOL.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

What a great space! That bathroom is fantastic. None of it strikes me as visual clutter so much as a young girl having all the parts of her growing identity around her - a good thing. nice job, mom!!

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Lucky girl! I love the turquoise with the black furniture and accents plus all the other 'stuff'' of hers in there. Looks clean and polished too. The workspace reminds me of the look in my DGD's room; she is also 13.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

FABULOUS!!!!!!

• User
    10 years ago

One question does the bathroom window face the street? The reason I ask is apparently that glass at night you can see through if the lights are on. I had a creepy neighbor spy on me when I was a teen into a bathroom with that kind of glass you may want to double check from the outside at night.

But I totally love the new bathroom especially the tub.

• grlwprls
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Luckily, no - you can't see through the glass. It is heavily frosted and it has a weird pebble texture too. On the other hand, we have glass blocks (two ENTIRE WALLS!!) in our master bath and I call it the Naked Kaleidoscope. I had no idea how clearly you can see through it until one day I was coming up the street toward the house and could quite easily make out the hot pink of my orchid that is on the edge of the shower. Ugh!

You can see through the top triangle, theoretically, but once the surround and curtain is installed, that wouldn't be an issue. Plus, I cannot even calculate the angle you would have to stand at in order to catch a glimpse of (maybe) the top of someone's head.