Software
Houzz Logo Print
tintown

I need so much I don't know where to begin

13 years ago
I don't have an endless budget so I need to do things in increments. I want a house that is stylish but I need budget minded ideas.

Where do I get fabric and curtains that don't cost a fortune. How about pillows. What color scheme should I use? What about curtains and pictures. I have so many blank canvass walls.

Comments (41)

  • 13 years ago
    I don't know why my pictures didn't post. Here is my dining
  • 13 years ago
    ...and my boring kitchenette
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    . What color is on your walls? looks like a blue/grey on my computer.
  • 13 years ago
    It's a light blue with a hint of green.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    For really inexpensive DIY wall art, consider framing a collection of wallpaper patterns that coordinate with your fresh seafoam wall color. Etsy is another great resource for economical and original art as well as throw pillows.
    The Penthouse by Ivy Style33/ Busy Bee · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    For art, do you have a camera? Take pictures of your neighborhood, your family, any interesting architecture or nature scenes. Staples will print 8 1/2" X 11" color pics for $1, and you could look for frames on sale or even the $1 store.

    For curtains and pillows go to stores like Ross, TJ MAXX, Burlington Coat Factory. For fabric, maybe you could find a sheet or shower curtain you like. A shower curtain is actually 4 yds of fabric!
  • 13 years ago
    I do love the framed wallpaper. That is so nice. I want a cohesive look so I am so afraid to buy anything. I started with this idea on one wall and loved it. It took me months to come up with it. Now I am stuck again. Maybe a combination of wallpaper and photos of the neighborhood and my kids would be nice.
  • 13 years ago
    Please ignore the Christmas decor. That's another story I will tackle next year.
    @the shower curtains, I have never thought of that. I have to see what I can find.
  • 13 years ago
    One more question. I was thinking about wallpaper inside the square frames of the black piece of furniture in the main photo. Will that look too cheap?
  • 13 years ago
    "Where do I get fabric and curtains that don't cost a fortune?"

    If you sew, I suggest http://www.joann.com/ either in person or online.

    Also, http://www.fabric.com/ has excelleny prices on Home Decor Fabric.
  • 13 years ago
    Can we see a close-up of the black piece of furniture?
  • 13 years ago
    Here is a close up and a picture of the living it is in.
  • 13 years ago
    I would start with checking the clearance aisle in all the stores that you frequent. Also I know that you can usually get a pair of drapes at Marshalls and TJMaxx when other stores sell each panel separately. Also those stores have layaway if you find a piece you love but don't have the entire amount handy.
  • 13 years ago
    Aja thank you those prices do look like they would be in my budget. I don't sew, so I would have to find someone. But I can start by recovering my kitchen chairs
  • 13 years ago
    I can afford reasonable prices it's just when I had ladies coming a giving me prices they want $200 for a pillow and $60 for a yard of fabric. When I say I am on a budget I mean I can't afford those type of prices.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Pier 1 has some reasonable wall art, such as metal wall hangings, sometimes for as low as $20 along with frames. They will also carry a color palette throughout so you can get a coordinating rug, curtains, pillows and accessories all in one place.

    Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby are 2 chains that have good prices on upholstery and fabric.
  • 13 years ago
    I have used painting drop clothes as curtains..because in Arizona our ceilings are a 10ft standard. You can buy 10'x6' for $10.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I know you said you don't sew. But if you're interested, the price of a sewing class and a machine will save you tons in the long run. Here's a tutorial on how to make very easy pillow covers, and you don't need to know much about sewing to do this. I've used this method many times to cover and re-cover pillows as I change my decorating style over the years. A yard of fabric will cover a lot of pillows, so even expensive designer fabrics are affordable compared to purchasing new pillows.

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    First of all, your space is lovely. I would get rid of xmas stuff on mantel and look for a mirror- Then look for some art work...Ikea and Home goods are a great place to find things.
    Just start with one item and then go from there... Add some pillows the same color as your wall, with some texture. Home goods has pillows for l5-20 ..Buy things, that you like, see if they work, if not bring them back, trial and error. Look for a few tall candles/vases for your fireplace...Add some fresh greens on the mantel, if you need to decorate for xmas.
  • 13 years ago
    I rather like Pier One for pillows. Very colorful and a dash of exotic. Depends on what you like. Love IKEA curtains--so reasonable and extra long--maybe even enough for a matching pillow or two. Some funky pillow covers too.

    Fabric remnants are the way to go to get some great fabric for not much money--plenty for a pillow or two, or even chair seats if you are lucky--easy to recover with just a staple gun and screwdriver., Like something wipable for the kitchen.

    Kids art can be fun framed, and don't be afraid of color, or you end up with the blahs. PinInterest has tons of DIY decor ideas, and there are some easy things that are knockoffs from designer looks for much less--mercury glass, mirrored lattice, bulletin boards, lampshades, you name it.

    Rather like the black chest--maybe glaze the doors to tone it down a bit. I would consider just using some upholstery tacks in the corners and wrapping some shirt cardboard in wallpaper or fabric with spray glue, so you can change the inserts with the decor.
  • 13 years ago
    Custom throw pillows are ridiculously expensive and if you are like me, you tire of your decor from time to time. I love the collection of throw pillows at Target. They are affordable enough to change out seasonally. Take a sample of your wall color and hit the discount stores!
  • 13 years ago
    For art, check out furniture consignment stores. I got a beautiful original watercolor at one for $35! You can also find great prices on area rugs there.

    For my living room and dining room I found 96 inch silk panels for $50 each at Tuesday Morning, just have to go there right after they put the new stuff out!

    I also made curtains in my bedroom out of two tablecloths from Target. They were exactly the color and the pattern I had in mind! I just folded over the extra length and hung them from rings.
  • 13 years ago
    tinatownsend1,

    I believe people who spend $200 for a pillow and $60 for a yard of fabric have more money than sense.

    Overpriced material possessions will not cure feelings of self inferiority or improve self esteem.
  • 13 years ago
    Wow thanks all of you for your ideas. I googled drop cloth curtains and there are so gorgeous idea out there but sometime my stuff does not end up looking the same. I will go to Ikea next week and see what they have. Also I liked the idea of cardboard and wallpaper tacked on the furniture. That would be so easily replaceable. Should I put multiple frames on that long wall in the dining room?
    I will start with purchasing a mirror above the fireplace. Is gold a good choice?
  • 13 years ago
    You have great furniture pieces you really just need to add color to the walls and accent with another color.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for the complement bbowers. That's where I struggle. The details is what I love about so many of these houses but finding similar things is what I am struggling with. See I was going to buy a mirror but that does not add color.
  • 13 years ago
    My two cents: you have some nice natural light in your little dining area; you could use a sunny sort of color to make use of it. Nice house, by the way :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    You definitely have a great jumping off point!!! The furniture and wood floors r fabulous! I think it would look great if u added bold patterned "ceiling to floor" panels in the living room. Could u find a curtain rod long enough to go above those 3 windows in that room? If so, the panels would work to cover the separation between the windows. (With bold color, like reds or yellows!!) Adding colorful throws and pillows would add even more color!! Have you thought of an area rug for the family room too? To tie it all together... :)
  • 13 years ago
    All 4 show, would red go with the light blue/green walls. I think bold fabric would look fabulous too. Any idea where I could find some nice ones at a reasonable price. What kind of area rug? Like a sisal.
  • 13 years ago
    All 4 show, would red go with the light blue/green walls. I think bold fabric would look fabulous too. Any idea where I could find some nice ones at a reasonable price. What kind of area rug? Like a sisal.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think there are so many shades of red out there that you will definitely find one that will work with that paint color!! If u remember the name of the paint & where u got it from, go back and find the sample. Then check out the warmer colors, like the reds and yellows and see what works best!! Carry them with u when u shop!
    Pier 1 has so many to choose from, when it comes to colorful pillows and throws! I was actually imagining a rug with more of a pattern than a neutral/natural looking one. Your furniture is so light in color that u could go bolder also in a patterned rug...just a thought...good luck...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think there are so many shades of red out there that you will definitely find one that will work with that paint color!! If u remember the name of the paint & where u got it from, go back and find the sample. Then check out the warmer colors, like the reds and yellows and see what works best!! Carry them with u when u shop!
    Pier 1 has so many to choose from, when it comes to colorful pillows and throws! I was actually imagining a rug with more of a pattern than a neutral/natural looking one. Your furniture is so light in color that u could go bolder also in a patterned rug...just a thought...good luck...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    tina...I think the name of the ikea curtains I mentioned are called MERETE? You can look at them online. and you CAN order them online. For some reason I thought you had to go to the store. They only come in 4 colors though...bleached, beige, purple and brown. But they have others with prints on them as well, and different fabrics, but they are all still very reasonable. And most of them come in PAIRs of panels, these are not for just one panel. The MERETE pair for example are $24.99. I have not found anything close to the quality for the buck. And I believe they are 96 inches long with tape to hem them to your specific length.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    You have good taste and a wonderful base. Making pillow covers is a snap and really the thing to learn if you have the time and desire for a wonderful home. Buy a used sewing machine. If this is all you are going to do, get the cheapest one you can find. It just needs to make a decent straight stitch and a decent zigzag to do everything you would need. Drapes are hard because they are so big, but pillows and smaller things are a snap.

    When I was really poor, I used sheets for curtains and they did the job, but I think your place is already too nice for that. Forget about those high priced drapery and pillow people. I do love scanning the catalogs, but never wind up buying their stuff.

    On line fabric stores are the bomb. I never thought we would come to that as fabric is so much of a tactile choice and color and quality are impossible to be sure of on line, but I have had marvelous success with on line fabric buying.

    Google lots and lots of sites, but I like www.fabric.com/Index.aspx

    Also go to Design Diva fabrics and watch for a big sale.

    Then do some research and try to find a local person who might sew up the fabric for you.

    Don't be afraid to go outside the box.

    You have lovely things.

    The art work can wait. If you have a big bare wall and no budget, look for a beautiful fabric and get stretcher bars from an art store. Learn how to stretch a canvas correctly from a local painter. It is easy but you have to have the right instructions. Then hang your fabric for a fraction of what a picture would cost and no need for a frame. When you are tired of it and/or can afford to replace it, take it down and make pillows or place mats.

    Find a rug first though because if it isn't neutral, you will need to pull colors out of the rug for pillows, windows and accessories.

    Sisal rugs are gorgeous but not all that nice to sit on.

    If you keep going neutral with furniture and accessories, please put a color on the walls. Paint is the cheapest fix of all and your home will be much warmer for it.

    I wouldn't put wallpaper on that black console unless the wall paper was extremely high quality which is expensive. If you don't like the design in the insets, consider painting over them and letting the scrollwork painting on the rest of the piece be the star. Painting the insets black and adding gold framing lines might work. There are lots of options for that piece. Lots, but plan it out carefully and do sample boards first.

    You have a good start with the other console table and lamp, but I'd like to critique it if you don't mind.

    The lamp is too small. Put it somewhere else or maybe to the right. Move the large left mirror up and to the right about six inches (guess as I don't know the real sizes of all of this). Now move the horse, which I quite like, under the large mirror. Maybe the lamp now works on the right, but I think it is just the wrong size in relation to everything else, especially the horse.
  • 13 years ago
    Ramona thanks so much for the critique. I can move that around. I will move the lamp . Darn there was a much larger similar Ralph Lauren Lamp but I went with the smaller. I can paint the inset black. I just don't like those pictures in the the inset. I'll see how that looks first. A sewing machine sounds like a good idea but I don't want it to be like the treadmill , trampoline and basketball hoop (a good idea at the time.) I am considering it. I am going to check out the curtains at IKEA.
  • 13 years ago
    Rita I could not read your comment.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi! What a great space you have to decorate!

    I think you could go with pretty much any color for pillows and curtains in your rooms, but maybe stick with a white or cream, as well as the same color as your walls for pillows. That way, you keep it neutral, and can add seasonal stuff, like red sashes for your curtains for Christmas. Ikea is a great place for neutral curtains.

    When it comes to decor, I've learned three guidelines:
    1. Pictures should be hung so that they have one line in common. That means that either the top or the bottom of your frames should be at the same level. If the frames are different sizes, you could also experiment with different shapes, like a square, or in two rows like these:
    Mid-Century Modern Playroom · More Info

    Hanging Picture · More Info


    2. Art should always be placed at eye-level (of an average-height person).

    3. Decorative items should be grouped instead of standing in a line, preferably in groups of three (never even numbers!). One large item, one medium and one small. If you have a larger surface, like a mantel, go for symmetry, like a mirror or a big picture frame in the middle, and then a group of objects on either side.

    So on your console table, you should have the lamp on one side, and then a group of three objects on the other. This is a good example (don't look at the style, only the size of the objects and how they are grouped):
    Entry · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Wow that was so helpful. Thank you for the photos. I will get the neutral curtains at Ikea. If I get the curtains in the living room, what should I do for curtains in kitchen. Can I leave it blank?
    My project next week will be find some neutral curtains for windows in living area, mirror above fireplace and decorative pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    What about fabric roll up blinds in your kitchen? It'll soften the look, but won't look as busy as regular curtains. They're easy to hang, too. You just need a regular curtain rod. Ikea has a few different kinds, like this one called "Emmie":
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30219016/#/80219014
    (it's the only one I could find online, but I know they have others with more color.)
  • 13 years ago
    Kat I'll take a look while Im there. I once investigated the Hunter Douglas ones and I guess I have big eyes and a small pocket book. All of these ideas are getting me out of my rut. Thank you
Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio