Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garyfla_gw

Making pattern from photo

garyfla_gw
16 years ago

Hi

Any way to do this for a mosaic wall. Want to make at least a replica of the Verachoca mosaic at the temple of the sun. Want to reduce the size to around 5x8 feet with as much detail as possible without getting too small. i have a very detailed photo but how can I get it to the right size with a grid pattern?? Thanks gary.

Comments (9)

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Sounds like a grid might work. Also.. if you have relation to anyone who works in a school.. they have overhead projectors and opaque projectors. Both would do the job easily. Overhead projectors will work much better in the daylight.
    K

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi
    Okay but how do I adjust the size and get it down on paper. >Maybe divide it into sections??.Was thinking along the lines of a crossstich pattern but how do i make the code?/
    Thanks for the help gary

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I'd do it in sections for sure. I even do sections on a a stepping stone size if I want a pattern.

There are some programs online for that, but they are a bit pricey. There may be a free one somewhere that suits your purpose, or a free trial of one.

Maria

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I bought an overhead projector, like the ones in schools, at a thrift store for $12! And use it for such stuff, but haven't tried such a big endeavor!! Can you post a pic? I have also gone to a graphics place where they do a lot of stuff like that and have a enlarger, and it was very reasonable price wise!! I'd say go to one of them cuz the detail would show up real good!!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Gary, this tutorial might help from Mosaic Art Supply.

Here is a link that might be useful: Transferring & Enlarging A Pattern

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi
    Thank you very much. Think I'll take the photo down and see how large a print I can get. Divide it into sections
    and use that enlarging technique. Then decide from there what detail is essential. I'm sure parts of it will have to be distorted anyway as the original is mosaic over carving
    Way beyond my capabilities lol But would like to get the
    main concept .I'm afraid I'll have to depend on craft store finds for such things as skulls ,and jaguar feet then I'll have to be very lucky to find them in the right scale.
    The numbers and scales of the objects are all symbols so the entire thing would be lost without some detail
    Only art objesct I've ever seen that I wanted to own
    And they wouldn't let me take the original lol
    Oh welll thanks again gary

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Hi Gary,
    When I was looking into the same thing I came across a site
    that's free...or so it says. I've yet to try it.
    Anyway, it's blockposters.com
    Let us know how it works if you choose to ventue there :o)
    Linlee

• garyfla_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

linlee
    Thanks for that site .I can locally get the pic enlarged
    to 24x36 divide into 4 sections and enlarge those .Almost the size I want.. Going to do it on backer board and then put that on the wall . I will be able to sit while working Hooray.!!
    Now, know where I can find some skulls with turquoise teeth, shrunken heads around one third life and Jaguar feet around four time life?? Walmart is out lol Thanks again gary

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

LOL Gary!!! is there a Voodoo.com out there someplace??? hee heee

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths