Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

Identify La Barge brass table?

alex9179
12 years ago

I found a brass and glass table at Goodwill yesterday. I was instantly smitten but talked myself out of it because I already have a coffee table...blah, blah, blah. The usual want it/but don't need it argument I have with myself.

Well, I was curious about it and found a table online that's exactly like it. They want $1450 for the La Barge and $400 for an oval copy cat. At $35 I'm not too worried about who made it but I'd like to know for fun.

Can anyone tell me what to look for?

Here's a pic of the expensive one.

Comments (25)

• elizgonz
    12 years ago

I recently bought the same table on Austin CL for $50. I was pretty pleased. I'm still sad about the one that got away, though. It was a Sarreid chest for $100. Sniff!

• User
    12 years ago

I don't know anything about the maker but that's one neato coffee table! I hope you go back and it's there.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Buy it. BUY IT. And why doesn't MY goodwill ever have stuff like this?

• alex9179
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it looks exactly like that. I just love the hooves and the curves.

Mine NEVER has neat things and it's usually priced really high. I couldn't get there today, darn it. I'm chomping at the bit! WHY do I talk myself out of things that make me go ooooooooooooo.
    Think positive thoughts that it will be there tomorrow.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't believe it! I was so bummed about missing the opportunity, but thought I might check back with Goodwill in case the other buyer didn't pick it up. They have a 24 hr policy that they can resell if you don't come back for it. It was still there, and (after some checking) they could sell it to me!!!

I just love it, and I really love how much lighter it looks compared to the dark wood I had. I just threw a few things on there and will probably change it many more times. Here it is, in it's vintage glory!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Oh that's lovely! I'm thrilled for you!

• lizzie_nh
    12 years ago

Whoa, that's pretty cool. I didn't like it in the photo you first posted, but in your room, it looks great. REALLY great.

My local Goodwill used to be one in Cambridge, MA, and they often had really cool stuff (probably Harvard profs getting rid of their old items, etc..) They had tons of cool furniture, framed art posters from museums and galleries, woven baskets, etc.. I've only checked out my current local one once, but they had absolutely nothing interesting. It was all junk.

• alex9179
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you :D Did I mention that I LOVE it? heehee I'm giddy

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

It is beautiful.
    Dee

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Oh, WELL DONE.

• caminnc
    12 years ago

Oh goooood, I was hoping you would go back and get it. I think it's a timeless piece and it looks perfect in your space. Good eye ;)

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I agree with the others. It looks great and you scored big time. I bet the other person who had it on hold I kicking themself right about now.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Oh my that is b-e-a-u-t-i-ful!!! I was looking for something like that for my living area and settled on something much less. I love it when people score!

• elizgonz
    12 years ago

It looks great! I'm so glad you got it.

• lizzie_nh
    12 years ago

Hee hee... perhaps you got mes444's table? Or maybe doodle's?

(See link.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee table thread

• alex9179
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I saw that thread when I was trying to figure out how to identify it! I almost responded "IGNORE the decorators!" until I saw the '06 date.

I hope she kept it, since she didn't WANT to get rid of it. It's amazing the price it can command depending on the audience. From $0 to $1500. I'm in the $0-50 crowd myself, but it did find a home that appreciates it :)

• 4boys2
    12 years ago

It's solid brass if a magnet does not stick to it ..
    Look for a "Made in Italy" on one of the feet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Did you see this one on Ebay ?

• loribee
    12 years ago

GOOD for you...it looks wonderful!!

• User
    12 years ago

Alex - I'm so glad you were able to get it! :) It looks great! So unique from everything else out there!

• alex9179
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's solid brass, the magnet ignored it . The base is pretty heavy so that's not surprising. I tried to shimmy the glass off by myself, but IT'S so heavy I got a little nervous. I'll have hubby help me tonight and I'll look for the "Italy" stamp. Should have done that when we were loading/unloading it, but I just wanted to get it home!

I really think it is from La Barge since they didn't skimp on the materials used.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

It looks great! What a find.

• User
    12 years ago

Alex9179, I just found one on Craig's List that looks exactly like yours; the asking price is $250. The seller says it is 42" diameter and 18" high, which sounds great for my living room. It's not $35 but still a reasonable price, I think, if it's in good condition. It's not too far away so I'll see if I can go look at it today.

• Dina Cuomo
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

it could be a La barge table- look it up. Looks similar to the one I have.

• terrie shewmake
    last year

I'm so glad you went back! I love my Labarge too! I got it at an estate sale for 75.