Software
Houzz Logo Print
alex9179_gw

Identify La Barge brass table?

15 years ago

I found a brass and glass table at Goodwill yesterday. I was instantly smitten but talked myself out of it because I already have a coffee table...blah, blah, blah. The usual want it/but don't need it argument I have with myself.

Well, I was curious about it and found a table online that's exactly like it. They want $1450 for the La Barge and $400 for an oval copy cat. At $35 I'm not too worried about who made it but I'd like to know for fun.

Can anyone tell me what to look for?

Here's a pic of the expensive one.

Comments (25)

  • 15 years ago

    I recently bought the same table on Austin CL for $50. I was pretty pleased. I'm still sad about the one that got away, though. It was a Sarreid chest for $100. Sniff!

  • 15 years ago

    I don't know anything about the maker but that's one neato coffee table! I hope you go back and it's there.

  • 15 years ago

    Buy it. BUY IT. And why doesn't MY goodwill ever have stuff like this?

  • 15 years ago

    Yes, it looks exactly like that. I just love the hooves and the curves.

    Mine NEVER has neat things and it's usually priced really high. I couldn't get there today, darn it. I'm chomping at the bit! WHY do I talk myself out of things that make me go ooooooooooooo.
    Think positive thoughts that it will be there tomorrow.

  • 15 years ago

    I can't believe it! I was so bummed about missing the opportunity, but thought I might check back with Goodwill in case the other buyer didn't pick it up. They have a 24 hr policy that they can resell if you don't come back for it. It was still there, and (after some checking) they could sell it to me!!!

    I just love it, and I really love how much lighter it looks compared to the dark wood I had. I just threw a few things on there and will probably change it many more times. Here it is, in it's vintage glory!

  • 15 years ago

    Oh that's lovely! I'm thrilled for you!

  • 15 years ago

    Whoa, that's pretty cool. I didn't like it in the photo you first posted, but in your room, it looks great. REALLY great.

    My local Goodwill used to be one in Cambridge, MA, and they often had really cool stuff (probably Harvard profs getting rid of their old items, etc..) They had tons of cool furniture, framed art posters from museums and galleries, woven baskets, etc.. I've only checked out my current local one once, but they had absolutely nothing interesting. It was all junk.

  • 15 years ago

    Thank you :D Did I mention that I LOVE it? heehee I'm giddy

  • 15 years ago

    It is beautiful.
    Dee

  • 15 years ago

    Oh, WELL DONE.

  • 15 years ago

    Oh goooood, I was hoping you would go back and get it. I think it's a timeless piece and it looks perfect in your space. Good eye ;)

  • 15 years ago

    I agree with the others. It looks great and you scored big time. I bet the other person who had it on hold I kicking themself right about now.

  • 15 years ago

    Oh my that is b-e-a-u-t-i-ful!!! I was looking for something like that for my living area and settled on something much less. I love it when people score!

  • 15 years ago

    It looks great! I'm so glad you got it.

  • 15 years ago

    Hee hee... perhaps you got mes444's table? Or maybe doodle's?

    (See link.)

    Here is a link that might be useful: Coffee table thread

  • 15 years ago

    I saw that thread when I was trying to figure out how to identify it! I almost responded "IGNORE the decorators!" until I saw the '06 date.

    I hope she kept it, since she didn't WANT to get rid of it. It's amazing the price it can command depending on the audience. From $0 to $1500. I'm in the $0-50 crowd myself, but it did find a home that appreciates it :)

  • 15 years ago

    It's solid brass if a magnet does not stick to it ..
    Look for a "Made in Italy" on one of the feet.

    Here is a link that might be useful: Did you see this one on Ebay ?

  • 15 years ago

    GOOD for you...it looks wonderful!!

  • 15 years ago

    Alex - I'm so glad you were able to get it! :) It looks great! So unique from everything else out there!

  • 15 years ago

    It's solid brass, the magnet ignored it . The base is pretty heavy so that's not surprising. I tried to shimmy the glass off by myself, but IT'S so heavy I got a little nervous. I'll have hubby help me tonight and I'll look for the "Italy" stamp. Should have done that when we were loading/unloading it, but I just wanted to get it home!

    I really think it is from La Barge since they didn't skimp on the materials used.

  • 15 years ago

    It looks great! What a find.

  • 14 years ago

    Alex9179, I just found one on Craig's List that looks exactly like yours; the asking price is $250. The seller says it is 42" diameter and 18" high, which sounds great for my living room. It's not $35 but still a reasonable price, I think, if it's in good condition. It's not too far away so I'll see if I can go look at it today.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    it could be a La barge table- look it up. Looks similar to the one I have.

  • 3 years ago


    I'm so glad you went back! I love my Labarge too! I got it at an estate sale for 75.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH