GET IDEAS
bluebird954

Trying to understand PGT Window Pricing...Anyone?

bluebird954

I have investigated prices and have found some real sickening things about PGT's prices.

This is what My brother-in-law quoted me on PGT Impact windows (He is Currently a window dealer and carries PGT, so I Won't mention any names.)

It is really disgusting that Pgt can sell these windows to their dealers and they mark them up so much. Why can't they pass the savings on to the customers and let us buy directly from the factory.

Luckily I got My windows from My brother in law at cost. Here is what the the break down is. This is what makes me so upset and at the same time...thankful.

All windows are white with Grey impact Glass.

PGT Impact Single Hung 12 $76.00 MY COST

List Price $287.00

PGT Impact Single Hung 23 $154.76 MY COST

List Price $560.20

PGT Impact Single Hung 33 $185.65 MY COST

List Price $616.57

PGT Impact Horiz Roller OX 72" x 38 3/8" $192.80 MY COST

List Price $642.60

PGT Impact Sliding Glass Doors XX 6068 $987.77 MY COST

List Price $1874.00

I Got (3) bids from reputable Local Window Companies on just the material portion of the 19 windows and doors that I needed to complete my house.

COMPANY #1 in Pompano 19 openings PGT materials Only $24,687.00

Company #2 in Deerfield 19 openings PGT materials Only $23,420.00

Company #3 in Broward/Miami 19 openings PGT materials Only $25,140.00

MY BROTHER IN LAW 19 openings PGT materials Only $9,343.00

I got My windows at cost what PGT really sells them for. I do not understand why they allow others to set their pricing for them when they should just offer the product directly to the public at fair prices.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my windows, just so thankful for my Brother in law to have saved me from over paying. I got all my windows and doors at 41% of list price, with full factory warranty. and that included sales tax too!!!

Shame on you PGT, Ok product, very lousy dealer Pricing.

Thank you Brother in law !!!!!!!

• ratflinger

Well it's all a crap shoot anyway. Overhead is not equal, but what's fair is the question. A properly run business deserves profits but we have to compare after tax profits as this is what goes in the owners pockets. You can't look at the cost of a product to a business, add 20% and say that is enough. This is where the problems lie. A business with a building, employees, etc. may need a 100% markup to break even, so a 120% puts only 20% in the owners pocket. In this case an owner can discount up to 20% and still break even, but then where is the incentive to stay in business if you only break even. Even if you only want the base product & not installation the overhead is the same. Really, the window guys are in the installed window business because they can't compete with the the big box stores for the out the door window business. The only way to get a better deal is to know someone in the business who would sell you windows near their cost as a personal favor to you. The OP's BIL may have sold them at his 'cost' but in reality he sold them at a loss to a family member.

Windows on Washington Ltd

Lesson to be gathered from this statement...

"The OP's BIL may have sold them at his 'cost' but in reality he sold them at a loss to a family member."

Don't tell any of your friends you are a contractor or know how to fix cars. Your weekends will thank you later.

I agree with millieonare.The contractor should have taken that into account but did even worse , not only was the water getting to the foundation but all the piles of stone where pitched towards the foundation . The top resevoir hab a 90 to 100 pound flat stone as the cover poorly place also pitching towards the foundation .To top it off the home owners are in thier late 60, and had to navigate to the top of this heap of loose rocks only giving them less than 12" of walking space to the top . let alone lift a 100 pound rock . I was so upset with what they did i took it all apart and tard the walls to the foudation both sides ,installed a 6" ftooter both sides installed block in porland cement to set the stone steps to the top and made it 24" width both sides .We built them solid steps to the top in the same stone ptiched to the pond side by 1"all stones away from the foundation , sealed all gaps to brick wall with silicone and gave them a lighter cover about 25 pounds. We incressed the water flow and added another fall for better sound and visual interest .finally cleaning out the pound from over grown plants.They did'nt even know they had 12 fish in the pond. We did not build this thing we only made it safe and better for them. MR.Robets was very happy.

POLL: Topics for a Live Houzz Chat?

Yes local show. Very good in many ways, have lots of great ideas and not over the top budget-wise. Totally renovated a bathroom in a weekend one time about the time I was getting quotes for my bathroom renovations. My builder took 3 days to do the waterproofing and then left it over a weekend as well to ensure it was totally dry before laying the tiles. When I jokingly said to him about it he blew his top and said they were giving builders a bad name for doing a job properly, when he quotes he allows 2 weeks so of course people question why it takes him so long when this young woman on the show can do it in 2 days. Here is a link to watch episodes if you are interested - http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/

Three Season Sunroom Dilemma

What about one of these products... Interlocking Deck TilesInterlocking tiles are an excellent option for sunrooms. You can install interlocking deck tiles over almost any surface and it is an extremely easy DIY project. You can purchase these tiles in a multitude of patterns, colors, and textures, some of which look like stone. Learn more about interlocking tiles and see our photos depicting the many colors and styles available. Easy-Fit Modular Tile Floor System (by SunPorch.com) This product appears to be a very good option although I've not used it myself. Like interlocking deck tiles, the Easy-Fit modular tile floor system is designed so that you don't need a subfloor and it mounts on any surface no matter the irregularities. Separate tiles have raised 5/8" on a series of legs made from polypropylene. This allows for drainage and very quick drying. They snap together and can be cut to fit with a utility knife making installation easy. They come in a variety of finishes to include ceramic, carpet, or wood. An accessory feature with SunPorch.com's sunrooms, they are definitely worth checking out. Hope this helps :)

Disabled veteran needs help

@j woodward, the value of your home is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. It has nothing to do with whether you're a disabled veteran, and whether the person buying it is planning to live in it or flip it. What I was suggesting was to find out whether making improvements to it will be cost-effective in the long run. I imagine your goal is to net as much profit from it as possible. I am disabled too, as is my husband. We put a lot of money into making our former home accessible for him (quadriplegic in a power wheelchair). It was money well spent because it allowed him to live at home for about 8 years longer. When he went into a nursing home, I sold our home. All the "improvements" we made and all the money we spent didn't add value to the home at all from a real estate perspective. The home sold at market value for our area. The young able-bodied woman who bought it told me she planned to remove most of what we'd done. (She was nice enough to let me remove the expensive grab bars and special toilet since she'd planned on trashing them.) Although it was a hard pill to swallow, I had to realize that real estate is a financial deal, not an emotional one. No potential buyer gave a damn why I was selling, how much I needed a certain amount of money, etc. What they cared about was whether they were getting a home that they liked, or could fix up to their liking, or could flip for a price they felt was fair for the market conditions. It bothered me a little that the new owner was going to rip out what we'd put in. But as a seller, I had to put aside my emotions about what the new owner was going to do with it once it was no longer mine.
  • oberon476

Ecostar,

Now that is contractor inventiveness at it's finest. But if you were to stand on the very top of the ladder you wouldn't have to stretch so far...

And then you could balance yourself by grabbing those wires with your right hand and use your left for working.

• EcoStarRemodel

Those wires are my back-up safety plan. OSHA calls it an Emergency Action Plan or EAP. ; )

• TROQUERO

It is very simple. The answer is GREED. no reason whatsoever to charge the prices. This is why America and our country coupled with your president is crashing down. GREED, this will destroy us. it already has.
    The manufacturing costs are so ridiculously low that if you knew this, you would vomit. the installers want to justify the mark up? There is no justification. Other than GREED. MOST OF THEM DO NOT HAVE A HIGH SCHOOL AND THEY WANT TO MAKE 20,000.00 on a 19 window instalation. This coupled with Mexican cheep work, makes GREED flourish.
    Then we want to blame china. They are just playing us by what we are Greedy .

• millworkman

Case in point windowshopper, although not pushing his wares like a carpet bagger he will slam everyone who does legitimate business and probably will reappear with a cheap piece of crap product and tell us all why he can sell and install it so cheap. What a piece of crap that post is....

• WindowShopper50

Oh my Goodness. I do not deal in impact windows, so I cannot comment on the pricing quoted here, but I can comment on why factory direct is not generally a sales method employed with regard to building materials. There are a lot of reasons for that. Most windows have a "list price" and a dealer might pay anywhere in the neighborhood of 35% to 70% of the list price, depending on his purchasing volume or even the pricing structure the manufacturer uses as a baseline. I have seen THAT all over the place. BUT, manufacturers do not have the time or resources to do all the detail work, measuring, hand-holding, credit terms or not, delivery to individual jobsites, warehousing of completed product until the end user can accommodate them on the jobsite, service after the sale, research on the front end, warranty claims on the back end. They would have to have a virtual army of customer service reps to handle anything more than a localized territory. (Imagine what THAT would do to the cost). So they sell to a much smaller field of dealers, and let the dealers deal with the minutia of the individual sale. I don't honestly know how the market for PGT windcws works, but in the custom wood window market, I can tell you, that I can work for as long as six months before a job is finally sold and ordered, and then be "on call" another six months until the house is finished to tie up lose ends. If you earn a commission, as I do, then it SHOULD pay well. I figure I lose 2 of those 6 months jobs for every 1 that I win. Not everyone can do what a window professional can do. I am curious if you will hold you brother in law responsible if your windows fail. I can tell you right now, builders and homeowners turn to the person they bought them from to make it right. There is a lot of liability in building products. Don't blame the pricing on the manufacturer. They have made sure that they have made a decent profit before the product ever leaves their factory.

• fixizin

... Lulz.

Let me just add, as a savvy/burned buyer of rental props, that when a seller starts bragging about this or that upgrade (windows, pavers, HVAC, etc.), I then head straight over to the local AHJ Building Dept., and if I canNOT find permit records for such "work", I then start SLASHING my offer price, drastically. I flatly explain that they have EXPOSED me to the LIABILITY of tear-out and re-do, with the associated TRIPLE permit fees/fines.

All to "save" them $75. Smart. Farsighted. NOT!

• millworkman

fixizin, what the hell are you trying to say?

• anjousa

Bluebird you are the guy, you told everything I wanna say, and more I will get my reseller acct so I can sell PGT as low as possible and help decrease these overpriced dealers!

Benjamin Hepburn

Hey I saw your post on your pgt windows. Can your contact price a job here in the bahamas? You can contact me at benjaminhepburn@gmail.com

Benjamin Hepburn

Looking for windows for a project in Nassau, Bahamas. Can I get those sort of prices?

Palm Beach Hurricane Windows Inc

The pricing that you claim you paid to the list price seems extreme for PGT products, first of all as a professional in the industry I never sold a product at list price. Also, you claim you got a 41% discount, but the numbers that you show are at a 72% Discount, cost at $154.76 and list at $560.20. (Just for the record if I were selling this PGT list product at $560, my selling price would be about $350 plus tax not installed). Is this PGT list price or your brother-in-laws list price. Dealers can make their own pricing sheets based on what they need for overhead, and overhead is not cheap, warehouse space is very expensive, insurances and licensing is an ongoing expense. Advertising, trucks and employees, employee taxes, unemployment, workers compensation and I can go on.

There is a lot of man hours put into quoting projects, checking design pressures to make sure products qualify for the project to meet building codes which vary by building type, location of building, height of building, location of windows on the building, etc. So there is a lot that you as the consumer does not see but are there.

If Pgt were to sell direct to the consumer, they would have to have warehouses all around the state, this would add manpower and overhead (same as the dealers have to pay). If they didn't have warehouses to pick up from then PGT trucks would have make deliveries in timely manner to residential neighborhoods, and some neighborhoods would be impossible to deliver to from a factory loaded semi, that is 46 to 53ft long. This is why there is a dealer network.

One more thing does your brother in law sell to everyone at cost? If he does I guess he's not in business anymore so good luck on the warranty call when you have problems.

Installations on projects can vary and one contractor may do things on the install that another would not. So you may pay a little more to one company than another but you will probably will get a quality install instead of cutting corners on the cheaper guy. I don't know about you but I expect my windows to stay n the openings when a storm comes.

Bottom line, be thankful that there are dealers that serve you direct in your local area, because you are saving money by dealing with them and putting money into your local economy. Florida would be in bad shape if we all could purchase our products direct from manufacturers, all the money would be leaving our economy and there would be no saving to you, they would still have to add all the costs of dealing with the the end consumer to their prices.

Window1

Maybe the OP should spend more time searching for a second job and stop complaining about who makes what, its none of his business.

His numbers are bs as well.

• millworkman

Palm Beach, that post was from 09, I doubt bluebird is even still around. Also his one and only post so I would be fairly certain it was a drive by attempt to either slander or eventually spam the site.

• Ravi Goolcharan

Do you know what it cost pharmaceutical companies to make a pill and how much you are paying for the same pill.

Windows on Washington Ltd

Not sure of the question here? If you are going to talk about the cost of a singular drug, you must also look at the cost of what it took to get that drug to market as well as all the other failed versions before that. That would be like looking at the manufacturing cost of anything without looking at the back end development costs.

• Ravi Goolcharan

What I meant was everyone needs to make a profit.

Windows on Washington Ltd

I agree with you 100%. If not, you don't stay in business. That fact seems to be missed by the class warfare mentality that wants to label "profit" a 4-Letter word.

• Ben Steinberg

We got many quotes when looking for impact windows and doors for our home. We went with Paradise Exteriors and are very happy with our new windows. They are not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

• Chris Wainwright
    Hi, my wife and I are in Fort Lauderdale and are looking to purchase & install new windows and doors (PGT). Any chance you can refer your brother-in-law to us so we could purchase the windows and doors at cost?

Thank you Sir!
    Chris & Monica
  • M Miller

Chris Wainright - perhaps you didn't notice that the OP who talked about his/her brother in law did that in 2009. And never came back. Perhaps after all this time the BIL isn't even the BIL any more! That is, if the BIL ever even existed - the OP has the tone of a trolling post, i.e. saying something that is 100% certain to be inflammatory in order to stir the pot.

• Rob Fernandez
    last year

I am currently getting quotes from 4 different PGT dealers in the Tampa Bay area for 7 Impact windows and 4 Impact sliding doors. I am ready to pull the trigger but am unhappy with the pricing. Even though I am getting the SAME PRODUCT codes, sizes, and specifications, some are pricing the individual sliders at $2,000.00 over the other company. I called PGT and was told by someone there what their prices are. INCREDIBLE!!

If there is ANYBODY on this thread that can help me with a better and fair quote, please feel free to contact me or refer me to someone here. Thank you.

• millworkman
    last year

Not everyone buys at the same discount. Not everyone has the same overhead and installer payroll. Pick the dealer/installer that offers you the best value (ie solid install reputation and service) for the dollar.

• alysaleve
    last year

Rob this is how it works when purchasing any product of any type, not just windows. I don't see why you see this as incredible. It costs each company a different $ amount in order to keep their business alive and even more to thrive. Is this not the case with whatever you do for a living?Some companies do this better than others, in exactly the same as some companies do better work than others. If this wasn't the case there would be no reason to have more than one manufacturer, retailer or installer for any one product.

In my case I know what it costs to buy the PGT windows I was quoted directly from the lumber yard at what is likely one of the "lowest" markups and then I have a range of installation prices that are comparable from there. The idea is not to install windows for the lowest price. If that was the case then install them yourself and you will see how hard it really is. Installers provide a wealth of other services to the installation of a window. Does a installer that charges $25 a window do the same job as the installer that charges $175 a window? I would say very probably so and for good reason since it costs more than $25 to have a window installed correctly. It's MUCH more important how the windows are installed then what the price is. You should be reading the reviews of people who have used the companies that you are looking to get quotes from rather than just randomly getting quotes. I read the reviews first and did not call many companies after the reviews I saw. I am also only now talking to those that install PGT because they are the only vinyl window manufacturer that has a NOA for Miami/Dade. These are the most stringent codes and the windows actually don't cost any more than ones that do not have a NOA so I don't see a reason to consider the others for us since this also gives us the best insurance benefits also. I did not know this when I first started with pricing windows.

Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

I've got a buddy in the window business on the east coast of Florida. He's 30% higher than everyone else and busy as ever.

• Lyndee Lee
    last year

Price is only a portion of value. Figure out what benefits are the most valuable for you and your lifestyle and then judge the total project by your most important factors. Quality of installation is most important for some while an owner expecting to sell in a couple years or a house with other issues may be more influenced by price. Some owners wish to be more involved in details but others just want to write a check and not worry about small choices. Like many other discussions, different is not necessarily wrong. Try to find a contractor whose best attributes match your priorities and look for value, not low price

Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

Unless you are buying the product as a cash and carry, to do the installation yourself, how is the cost of the materials important in this calculus?

toddinmn
    last year

Might wanna consider changing careers and enter the lucrative world of window replacement!

• No No
    last year
    last modified: last year

I'm so lost with choosing the right window brand. I'm not quibbling over price although taking it into consideration. Have gotten quotes from 5 installers, checked BBB, Angie's, Zoombuild on all of them. One says do NOT use PGT for midlevel condo. One says definitively only use SIW, 3 installers says absolutely don't use them. One very large reputable company (worried my small condo might get lost in their slew of larger projects) only uses CGI. Yes, I know CGI is owned by PGT but what's the difference between PGT and CGI? Why use one vs the other, considering the price is comparable? And yes I know SIW was bought by Marvin but what makes them good (or not)?

I should note that I'm in South Florida right on the intracoastal.

Anyone who can shed light, I'd be deeply appreciative.

Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

I don't think anyone is suggesting that they are the "be all" of impact rated windows. There are multiple brands out there that meet impact standards. If you haven't, talk to friends or neighbors and see if any of them have had good luck with a product or installer. See if that narrows the scope.

• No No
    last year

WoW, I was hoping you'd respond so thank you. Yes, I've spoken with neighbors in the building and a few others with some experience. Unfortunately, one contractor who did 1/4 of the windows in my building took 8 days to respond to my initial inquiry and then fought with me that the quote he emailed specified brand/materials, when it didn't. He ultimately apologized after 2 days that I was right. He's been almost impossible to track down and only responds intermittently. Red flag for me.

Many in my building have gone with very small, local manufacturers and we've had massive problems with leaks flooding multiple floors so I'm staying away from the local mom & pop or no name vendors.

It's the absolutes some of these guys are giving me ("absolutely don't use PGT for your condo" or "definitely don't use SIW") that have me concerned. I've read as much as I can on here and and the references I mentioned in my original post. Unfortunately, I remain confused.

I may ultimately choose the contractor who offers the best warranty for both windows and installation even though they only use CGI.

• Alex C.

Clearly there has to be a mark-up for installer to survive. Having said that, the problem in Florida seems to be that there is only an illusion of competition but no real competition. Installers are competing for the business but nearly all buy from PGT/CGI, which seems to be a near monopoly. No one company would survive with so many bad reviews and customer complaints if there was competition. What puzzles me though is why have no other company tried to enter this market if there is so much money to be made? Is it very difficult to make good impact windows?

• Johnny Sexton

I've been doing this for most of my life. Have you read the PGT limited lifetime warranty. BTW...it doesn't warranty against hurricane breakage. In fact non of the window factories do. How about the stress crack warranty? 1 year? Or the argon gas warranty? 5 or 10 years depending on the window. The companies ABC that you mentioned have probably been in business for quite a while covering up the mess of manufacturers limited lifetime warranties, with their own total lifetime warranty. When PGT does cover a warranty with a replacement window, who installs it???? Right you have to find your own installer. There are inherent costs for dealing with quality reputable companies.

• Johnny Sexton

Alex C... There are many other companies. Regency, Cws, Simonton, Schwinko...to name some. But, there is only one company that makes "Impact Glass" and that's Cardinal. The differences are in the glass...there are many different types of glass used to manufacture impact glass. All will pass inspection. But, some are much better than others. And more equipped to handle the different pressures that come with living in Florida.

• millworkman

"But, there is only one company that makes "Impact Glass" and that's Cardinal."

Says who...................

• alysaleve

No No. I am not sure how any companies would be offering anything but PGT if you are on the South Florida Intercoastal area when approval with the Miami/Dade code is now required in about every county I looked at. The other companies that are mentioned meet FBC which is not the same thing and is not approved is what I have been told in the area.

Alex C. I completely agree I also am baffled that no one else submitted for approval in Miami/Dade. I know there are other good manufacturers but as counties increase their requirements they are all going with the Miami/Dade code thus we got the only window that was an option. Makes no sense to me. Shwinco for instance likely makes a better window, really small company, higher cost though and there are negatives about them too but they are intended to withstand bomb blasts.

Johnny Sexton, you are correct the warranties are truly offered by the installer which is why there are issues w/ the small mom and pop installers. When something does happen they can't stand behind it. I was talking to one of my installers about this and he told me on his own he could save me a small amount of money on the installation but he couldn't offer any sort of warranty on the windows beyond 6 months since if/when something happens he just can't stand behind it. So now he does installations for the company we used, says this way he is working all the time. We used a company that offers a total lifetime warranty that they cover and they increased the coverage that is purchasable from PGT for accidental breakage but that seemed silly if you read the details. You are correct hurricane breakage technically doesn't go through the manufacturer or installer, that is through your homeowner's insurance which wouldn't even be worth filing under for a single window or even the cost of a few windows. It would have to be a catastrophic loss for that to make sense.

Take care - Alysa

• Karen

I’m glad I’m not the only one waking up each day at 4:30am thinking about windows! Im told that current lead times on PGT impact windows is between 28-32 weeks. Ugh!

toddinmn

Welcome to the new world. It sucks for

us all.

• alysaleve

Karen- yes that is likely very accurate. We waited longer than that because of what COVID was doing. All my windows but one are now installed but I went under contract in late August of last year. On the plus side the company refuses to let me pay for them until they are all installed, the inspection is done and they have been able to install the trim pieces.

• Karen

Alysaleve- was this PGT or another company?

• valdupont62

Has anyone heard of a price increase for PGT on 05/15/21? Or is it a supplier’s selling technique? Thank you

• millworkman

I know for a fact that all of my commercial glass fabricators have announced a 12-13% price increase across the board on the float glass so yeah I would assume all residential window companies will follow suit with a price increase.

toddinmn

7/16 OSB is now over $40 a sheet here. That is almost a 600% increase from a few years ago.

• Karen

I heard the same about PGT price increase. Supposedly Kolbe has not announced any price increase as of today

toddinmn

just Got an e-mail today, all the shingle companies are raising prices 7-10 % on June 14th. The averAge cost to build A House has increased by roughly 24k since the pandemic began. I know A local window manufacturer that has Gotten an another bill to cover the additional cost of increase in price after he placed the order and by the time he received it after waiting 13 weeks to receive it. My window cost. Went up 6% last month. Bottom line is your quote today may not be good by the time you sign.

• alysaleve

Hi Karen, yes it was PGT. The last of my windows have been installed now, just waiting on the inspection.

• Stephen Brooks

Do most companies include in their quotes an item by item, window by window, cost breakdown?

• Karen

If they don’t, you need to ask for it. The devil is in the details. I’ve had some that didn’t and asked them to go back and they did. It helped me see where one company charged me more for same thing and another added stainless steel screws, etc.

Ultra Windows

Asking to have the pricing itemized window by window is reasonable and most companies will accommodate your request. Asking for a breakdown beyond that (labor vs. materials, etc....) is something that most companies won’t do.