Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diamondjennie

Anyone own a Zephyr Ring Saw?

16 years ago

I haven't posted in a while. I do check in when I can, been busy with 12 four week old lab puppies! It's a fun kind of busy! I made some tables, and trays that I will post eventually, all shabby chic, and had my in-laws stay here a couple of weeks! For the in-law part, I figure my husband owes me a big Christmas gift this year! I was thinking of a Taurus saw, then I keep getting e-mails from Delphi and the Zephyr looks similar. Just thought I pick your brains on what the plusses and minuses are for them! Jennie

Comments (9)

• 16 years ago

I have the Tauus 3. I like it ,but I can't give you a comparison

Maria

• 16 years ago

Gryphon Saws have a very good name and I like the look of their new saw.
    I have a Tll.2 and a T3. The cutting is the same, the T3 can be used as a hand saw. I will never need that feature unless I'm trapped in a glass box! Also has a light and chip shield. A retrofit light and shield kit is available for the Tll.2.

• 16 years ago

I'll ask about it Tuesday when I go to my friend's glass store.

• 16 years ago

I noticed the price for replacement blades is much cheaper
    than the Taurus, but that's about all I know about them.

Hazie

• 16 years ago

I looked at it on Saturday, it is a little quieter and looks good. But, for me it would come down to comparing motor power and warranties before I nailed someones foot to the floor for a price.

• 16 years ago

Thanks ladies! I will do some comparing. I don't know how often blades need to be changed, probably depends a lot on how much and on what it is used. That is a consideration. Yvonne, are you saying the Gryphon is the same as the Zephyr? I know nothing about saws, that is obvious!

• 16 years ago

Jennie, I have a Taurus 3. The only suggestion I have is to look at all the parts (and costs) that need replacement. Often when you replace the blade on the T3, you need to replace grommets. I've had mine for almost 1 1/2 years and I'm on my third blade, have replaced the belt once and grommets once. And I don't feel I use it a lot. I love it when I need it and am glad I have it so I'm not trying to discourage you but suggest you look at ALL costs.

• 16 years ago

Sorry Jennie I haven't been about much of late.
    Yes, Zephyr is one of the Gryphon saws. Taurus is Gemini Saws.

• 16 years ago

The Gryphon Zephyr is brand new on the market, so you may not find anyone who owns it yet. It came out RIGHT AFTER I bought the Gryphon Omni II. I like the Omni, but if the Zephyr had been out I might have gotten it instead. Only drawback to the Omni II so far is that it's VERY loud. I thought the Tarus was loud too, but the Omni is definitely louder. Hopefully the Zephyr is a bit quieter. Take a look at the 2 companies websites to get a better grasp of who makes which saw and to compare stats. Try to find a stained glass place that has the ones you're interested and see if you can try before you buy.
    http://www.gryphoncorp.com/products.html
    http://www.geminisaw.com/

Sponsored