Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

hmmmm, my informal poll

nicethyme
16 years ago

on the next exchange parameters... share your ideas?

should it be all one object, a theme, or require the use of a particular tesserae? whatcha think?

ideas ideas... post em if ya got em!

set for say... March?

Comments (22)

• livnlife
    16 years ago

I dont care what the parameters are....I just want to be apart of the next one...when ever it is!!!
    I'm sad that I was too chicken to join this one! But, after reading all the comments and seeing all the fun you're all having...I CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!
    (even tho my daughter is getting married in March!)
    I can't wait to see all the posts for this holiday gift exchange!
    I think I'm as excited as you all even tho I'm not participating!

Crystal

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

I think the holiday one is a good time to "go all out" like everyone has...by that I mean in all different directions & methods/styles of artistry.

Any new exchanges can definitely be "themed" but it's a shame to exclude some by stating that a certain "method" or tesserae would have to be used (ie: some of us aren't into SG (yet) or other techniques.)

I'm not opposed to sitting out on a particular exchange (ie: SG specific), but some might feel slighted.

I think any exchange would be better to be "all encompassing" that could include everyone whether they work in glass or other tesserae.

Or maybe those who do SG also already DO mosaics, so they wouldn't be excluded if it were a mosaic exchange?

I'm not trying to make this complicated; I just don't want anyone to feel left out.

Are ya hip to what I'm layin down?

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

You already know what I think--at least six months ACTIVE participation and posting in the exchange. After that, I think it should be whatever the organizer can arrange. Some of us might want to take part and others might not. There is nothing that says EVERYONE has to participate. If that particular challenge isn't your bag, then don't join in. IMHO....

• crystal01
    16 years ago

I think "six months ACTIVE participation" is a bit harsh. I did my first exchange and FIRST MOSAIC (fry pan) last year after being "ACTIVE" only a month, lurking for more.

I have not caught up with everything that has happened with this exchange but I did organize one (and would happily do it again) and I thought it went smooth. Many people opted out - NO BIG DEAL!

IMHO I agree with mmqchdygg - I like the Holiday "go all out" type of exchange but I would like to see the rest of them to be all one object or themed. I would not require the the use of a particular tesserae.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree that you should step out if the project doesn't suit ya. That was the bowl exchange for some. But I also think that it can be much more of a challange to work in a media that you're unfamiliar with, Or have to add a certain element such as something to do with animals or have a floral aspect or or...

I see nothing wrong in having a specific SC challenge or pique assiette or maybe abstract, People who do and enjoy those might really like being spot lighted for their work. Even if it means that it ain't your bag so you wait for the next.

Certainly It is alot more exciting to get more people involved than not. But there is nothing that says it has to suit everyone every time.

On the idea of having qualifiers, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that as I've always liked the open and welcomeing/encourageing mood of this group so I'm thinking that we can learn from the past troubles faced and try to set up a clear qualifier such as "a must post to an update thread during particular dates... miss one and we call you MIA for the challenge???? shrug - ideas?

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

at least six months ACTIVE participation and posting in the exchange.

What does "active" mean? Does it mean I have to say or show something every day? Every week? Every month? And who is going to police that?

I check in several times a day but don't post unless I have something to add or show. I opted out of the Holiday exchange because I know how busy this time of year can get and didn't want to disappoint anyone if I couldn't make the deadline.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

I think not being a schmuck is a good prerequisite...thank you for recognizing that, although I have only been active here since Sept, that I'm not one ;)

But yeah, no one says the exchanges have to be universal. I take back what I said...I understand that if it's not someone's idea of a good time, opting out is the way to go.
    What I meant by it was...I only meant in the general sense that- unlike the seed boards where there are umpteen "styles" of exchanges going that can be chosen from- the ones here would probably not be "quick & dirty" exchanges, so they'd be fewer and last longer, so the time between exchanges would be long for someone who opted out of a current one and is waiting for the next one.

Follow that big 'ol run-on sentence?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think Rosemary faced a hard and difficult quandry with fearing that she may have some no shows. It's understandable that she has concluded that some type of qualifier would have made those decisions easier for her.

Lets make sure we learn from it, it does not have to be what she is suggesting. Lets put it this way, the organizer makes the rule for each challenge because she or he will ultimately have to decide what to do when someone is unresponsive. YES?

I'm officially throwing my hat in as organizer for a March Challenge/exchange. I am taking your suggestions into acct. post here or email me info@candaceclough.com

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

What does IMHO mean.........slang illiterate...dah.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

in my humble opinion

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Gypsy, it means "in my honest opinion"

I think we should let the holiday exchange be whatever you want to make and the others be a set theme like spring or flowers or even doing the same type of object like the frying pan and bowl exchange. Maybe having a rule that you must check in within a 2 week time period on any thread marked "Mandatory Swap Exchange post" wouldn't take long for lurkers, or someone who only occasionally checks in, or is too busy in real life to check in here, to reply to the post. Of course, the closer the deadline, the less time allowed to reply. Maybe that would make it easier on the organizer of the swap!

Thanks Nice for volunteering to do the next exchange!

Barb

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

I like green.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Thanks for bringing up the next swap NT!
    I don't care how its done...if it's something I'm not familiar with I have the option to bow out, or step up to the challenge and learn something new.
    I do agree that people need to check in by a deadline, so nobody gets left out.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

I think what made this exchange harder than most, was that we had so many lurker jump in for the first time to join the exchange. We didn't know who a few were, and if they were sincere in joining and following through. This is the Internet you know.....We don't even know most peoples real names, let alone what their intentions are. I think Rosie
    had a hard job this time. There were so many new people, and
    she didn't want any of us to be blown off. We haven't had
    anyone not receive a gift yet, and all it will take is 1 time of it happening, and the swaps would be ruined. So
    it wasn't going to happen on her watch.

• Mystical Manns
    16 years ago

I hope to have enough confidence in my mosaics by the time the next swap is happening, to participate ... I like the open swap that you're doing right now (even tho I'm not in it) because anyone can do whatever they feel like. If you decide to go with just stained glass, I'll have to just watch with lust.

If it's going to be in the spring, I'd suggest anything to do with springtime. That could be flowers or birds, or leaves, or green grass, or sunshine, or fairies, or morel mushrooms, or so MANY things! LOL! Too bad birdbaths are so danged heavy ...

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I have to say that I totally understand where you all are coming from. Im pretty easy to get along with so if I dont like a swap idea I just wont join. I like the idea of having to check in within two weeks of the exchange date so we know if your still in or out and I do agree that if you have never posted (Im not saying posted a picture just added a comment so you have a history and didnt just join for the swap) before the swap starts you maybe shouldnt get to do the swap until we know you really exist!!

I love having to have boundarys sometimes just for the fact that now I have to think outside my box!!! But on the other hand I enjoyed getting to do whatever I wanted this exchange also.

Im going to definetly be in the next exchange and want to say Nice thank you for setting it up!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hazie, i totally agree with you on Rose having the biggest most difficult swap so far and add to that the Christmas season and it was saintly to even take this one on.

Bravo to Rosemary, we can't thank you enough for adding more joy to our holidays this year.

• icheer
    16 years ago

I'm a relatively new member to the stained glass and mosaics board and didn't participate in the swap because I wasn't really sure how they worked or if there is a certain standard of experience expected of participants. For those reasons, I'd like to see some sort of parameters offered as guidelines for those of us that are new.

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas, advice, and support offered by everyone :-)

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

here's my two bits worth....
    I was new, when the fry pan exchange was done and that was special for me.

I got it done and was one of the last ones to get it sent out.
    then, I wasn't even able to post, so I emailed pictures and had them posted for me...thank you for that
    it was difficult but it still was an achievement for me, to have even finished a project..another special accomplishment.

I have watched other exchanges and wished I could be involved but chose not to, for deadline issues..of my own.

now, after all this time, I'm ready for a March/Spring exchange..
    my opinion is, is that if one posts on here, then that's enough of a prerequisite to be included.

some like stained glass over mosaic with broken dishes
    it's all inclusive of this forum..it means that whatever is the favored materials, should be what the person uses for the exchange.
    I don't have experience enough for a stained glass project to exchange, so it's a given that I would do a mosaic with broken whatever is available.

theme?
    I'm liking the idea of a...

"spring fling thing"

something that could be put outside in the garden for a garden ornament and if not outside, then at least to signify the return of spring and new growth...
    that's all I can think of for now..

I have a thumbnail sketch of something I would like to make already...but you all know how things get changed around and time gets in the way..and family gets weird/wired and there are delays and issues to deal with...
    and then again..that's one of the best reasons to have this forum and projects to work on, to take our minds off of everyday life.
    and there you go...for what it's worth.

Becky ;(*_*);

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I think this exchange was a BIG job and thanks to Rosie for doing it.

I think any rules should be set up at the start. A mandatory "I Confirm that I'm in" post or email or something like that at a certain date. I just automatically respond to the organizer that I got the info. I hate to exlude newbies or lurkers who may be sincere

Thanks NT for volunteering for the next one. I like the ones that have a paticular object, but I'm up to almost anything reasonable - just don't make me weld anything LOL!!

Maria

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Ok, I'll chime in. First, THANK YOU ROSE for organizing this one. When I saw "the list", I couldn't believe there were that many people participating. That's a lot of coordinatin' to do!

Second, since we do schedule swaps several months in advance, it's perfectly reasonable to expect people to respond to "are you still in or out". Maybe the way to go is to ask the question up front, then once a month, and at the two week's prior mark. And have it posted at each mark that the two week's prior mark is the LAST chance to be in. Basically keep it in front of people so that there's no last minute "oh I want to be in" or "no can't make it even though you've drawn my name".

Last, regarding theme, I think the person organizing it should make the call. Get input from the members, then make the call. All one theme, all one tessarae, all one substrate, whatever. If you like it, run with it. If you don't, opt out til next time. Offer to organize the next one so YOU can make the call :)

Simple boundaries, simple rules, keep it fun!

My dime's worth!
    Roni

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I agree Roni, corodinater makes the call. Check times every so often (set dates) that way its simple everyone knows what they are doing and everyone who wants to be in or out can opt either way by that specifc date.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022