Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gastroc

Updates - Dining Room & Entryway! (Pics)

gastroc
12 years ago

Hello all! I haven't written in quite some time. As the weather is getting colder and colder, I'm getting more in the mood to decorate, and that got me thinking how much I miss this forum!

Here are some updates!

...For those of you who don't remember, this is what the flooring of our house looked like when we moved into our fixer-upper bungalow:

Since then, we pulled up the carpet, put down laminate flooring, and created an entryway with tile:

Now onto the dining room.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

New registers:

Textured wallpaper in recess:

There is still more to be done in the room but I thought I'd share some now! Thanks for viewing.

Here is a link that might be useful: If the pictures are too large, you can click here.

Comments (19)

• graywings123
    12 years ago

You are teasing us with these close-ups! Can you back up a bit and let us see the whole room?

How long did it take to get the wallpaper and border down?

• gastroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hehe, sorry! No more teasing:

^ This picture shows our next project. The dreaded awkwardly sized living room. Dun dun dun.

The wallpaper was not too difficult to take down, just tedious. It's a shiny vinyl-like material so I cut diamond shapes into paper, then sprayed the seams with warm water & fabric softener. After that it came off easily with a metal spatula, suppose it took about a day and a half to remove it all.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

gastroc, I love what you did. It's beautiful in a quiet, timeless way. The wooden wreaths are gorgeous.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

The Wood blinds look great.

Cool chandelier too. Fits the house.

Nice work so far. Doesn't it all take longer than you think?!

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

It's gorgeous! You should be so proud -- great job!!

• gastroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all!

Biochem, oh yes indeed it does take longer than I could've ever imagined!! I'm ready to be done but there are a few rooms left lol.

• xantippe
    12 years ago

It looks great! That wallpaper must have taken forever to get down.

Our new bungalow doesn't have wallpaper, but it DOES have terrible paint colors... so would you mind sharing your paint color?

• gastroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No problem. I used Sherwin Williams colors but had them mixed at Lowes using Valspar paint. (Much cheaper, good quality; I highly recommend)

One accent wall is painted Prairie Grass (Pictured briefly but will post pictures after shelves are hung)

The three other walls are Balanced Beige.

The recess and lazy susan on the table is painted Dhurrie Beige.

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

Oh WOW...That looks amazing.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

So pretty! Especially like your dining table & chairs & light fixture! Your dog feeding station is adorable...that niche is so perfect for storing the food canister. Beautiful floors and walls. Very nice!

• leafy02
    12 years ago

Beautiful, serene and warm. I love your changes.

• teacats
    12 years ago

Very charming -- all of your hard work certainly paid off! :)

Very well done indeed!

• rj56
    12 years ago

I appreciated your stained woodwork. So much of what is shown now is white trim. It's nice to see how you decorated with the stained trim.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Nice space. I like the wreaths on the mirrors, cool.

Is that lyncrusta (sp?). I did not see where you have it in the room?

• gastroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all.

Mtnrdredux, thank you and no it's actually paintable textured wallpaper from Lowes. It is in the recess in the dog feeding area.

• annac54
    12 years ago

I'm seriously liking that table & chairs. Are they new or treasured heirlooms (or something in between)?

Lovely room, very nice and inviting.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Oh, the dog station! Love, love, love! It's just gorgeous, all of it!

• gastroc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! The table and chairs are actually new.

• pudgeder
    12 years ago

What a great transformation!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm