Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleny

Budget DIY kitchen progress pic

Nicole
11 years ago

We've moved from moving and removing windows, removing load bearing walls, gutting the room, spraying insulation, rewiring, etc. to getting all the cabinet boxes installed this weekend!!!! Squeee!!! Here's a crappy phone pic, but I've been too busy cleaning drywall dust from every corner of the house to bust out the real camera. And I'm 7 months pregnant so I move at the pace of a dead snail.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (21)

• bahacca
    11 years ago

You did all that stuff while preggo? I bow down to you!

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

It looks awesome! I couldn't even plant flowers when I was 7 months preggo! And I love how there are pizza boxes (?) on the stove...:-)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Ditto - It looks great, and you should be so proud! Very impressive.

• Nicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, my husband has done most of it, but I've been helping him hoist drywall and cabinets here and there too. But he gets the major credit for busting his butt! I'm usually much more help to him for this stuff, so it's been hard huffing and puffing just trying to sweep up after him.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I love that shade of blue! I can't believe you are building a person and a kitchen at the same time. Makes me tired just thinking about it! Looking forward to the finished pics, I hope you love it!

• Nicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL about the pizza boxes! I had to feed two 8 years olds my son had over for a sleep over last night! Yesterday the stove was finally hooked up for the first time in weeks. It's new and dual fuel so only the oven was functional--I have to call the propane company now for them to deliver a tank.

• Nicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Williamsem-the color is Olympic "secret passage". It looks less blue in person. I took my grey card for my camera to the store to find a more true neutral grey without green or purple undertones. Going from a red kitchen, it's kind of bland for me right now, but I'm hoping to jazz it up with lime green, orange, and yellow accessories.

• denali2007
    11 years ago

Your cabinets look a lot like mine. Are they Forevermark RTA cabinets in Shakertown? We just had them installed but had a contractor do it. In our younger days it is something we would have done ourselves.
    You are brave taking this on while PG!

• Nicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Denali, they are GHI RTAs. They do look very similar! We were planning this pre surprise pregnancy and then we figured better to get it done pre baby. I may be less helpful as the size of a bus, but it's easier now while baby is safe inside and not trying to crawl around construction debris.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Wow wow wow. You are both amazing. And the kitchen looks wonderful! The cabinets are beautiful!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

It's looking beautiful! You and your husband are an inspiration tackling this while 7 months pregnant. Amazing. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your lovely space. I especially love the wall color and cabinets.

• Nicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I will be posting more pics as we finish (is it ever really finished though... LOL) up. Hubby says he should be done with the counters and have the sink in by the weekend.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

It looks great!

• secondcup
    11 years ago

lol "the pace of a dead snail" hahah

• annie8288
    11 years ago

Those Mocha Shaker cabinets looks great. Great Job!!!

• lvillecards01
    11 years ago

What type of cabinets are those? Did you have someone come in and make/install or did you go with RTA?

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Looking great. I have to say, Nicole, as a fellow photographer, I LOVE that you took your grey card to the store to try to keep a neutral grey for comparison!!!! After a while of looking at paint chips, my eyes go completely buggy - I never thought to bring along my grey card...so doing that the next time!

(Oh, and congrats on your upcoming little one as well!)

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Lots of Exciting things happening at your house! The kitchen's looking beautiful and will be delightful to have it finished before your new bundle of love arrives! Double Congratulations!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Your cabinets are really beautiful!!! GREAT JOB!!! So impressive!!

• Nicole
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lvillecards01- we went with RTA. They're made by GHI. We got some online and some from a local discount building place.

andreak100--after bringing home 8,000 paint cards only to realize they all had some other color cast to them the idea came to me.

Thank you everyone else! We're headed on a road trip this weekend to Ikea (first time to one ever!) to get a butcher block counter for the kitchen peninsula. Still working on getting things cleaned up and put away. We have hardware on, crown molding and under and over cabinet lights. Still need to clean up the warzone that is the rest of the house and paint the dining room that is now open to the kitchen.

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

Looking good.

We did a lot of home renovations while I was pregnant, with our second and third child. Knowing another one was coming along meant we had to make room for them :)