Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilin_gw

White kitchen, what countertops?

IliN
10 years ago

I am really stuck with what countertops and backsplash to use! I think part of my problem is that I HATE our new wood effect tile. We chose it for durability but now that it's in, I don't like it and wish we'd gone for wood...
It's quite red and it's making it hard to pair with anything!
I was going to go for Caesarstone london gray or frosty carrina however now that the cabinets are in, those choices look dirty against the super whiteness.
My ideal top would be carrara marble but I do not want to deal with the maintenance. So it will either be Cambria Torquay or just Caesarstone super white or maybe gray or dark gray. Would love your thoughts!!
I really do hope I end up loving the tile but for now I think it spoils my kitchen. :(
Here are some pics:

Comments (69)

• Missy Benton
    10 years ago

I love your tile and any of your choices will look great! You're just not used to the change.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir

You will love your Shiloh cabinets!! I am very pleased with how robust they feel and the beaded detail is stunning! The legs we just added on top of the cabinet. Just wanted a bit of a focal point. The polar white will probably be easier to match up with countertops!! The arctic is quite cold but I do love it.
    Our kitchen designer has been amazing, constantly at the house helping me choose everything.
    I feel soooo much better about my tile now!!! You are right I am just used to wood like we had in our previous kitchen but I will get used to it. I just have to remind myself how much I HATED having to be careful all the time and shouting at the kids about ruining my floor in the kitchen! The rest of my house is hardwood so enough wood to worry about :)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Your floor is beautiful. When it is all finished you will appreciate the whole look. It really takes time to get used to changes. I hated my dark, reddish floors and was ready to have them torn out before they were even completed. Now I love them. I wasn't crazy about the stain color or glaze on my cabinets and now I love it!

Relax, I know your kitchen will be lovely!

Btw, I love the color of paint you used in you br, what is it?

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's good to know Holly!! I hope I feel the same way in a few months!
    BR colour is Healing Aloe by BM. I LOVE it!!

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gooster your kitchen is beautiful!!! The dark tops looks gorgeous and I LOVE the marble backsplash tile!!

• aries61
    10 years ago

IliN : Very nice kitchen. A couple of questions if you don't mind answering. What is your ceiling height and what crown molding did you go with? I like what you did with the sink cabinet, what size is it? Last question, is there a reason you went with a island that matched your cabinets instead of doing some other color? Thanks

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aries61

So sorry for the delay replying, I lost my post and only just found it again!
    Our ceilings are standard height, I think 8ft?
    I will measure this sink and let you know.
    I was thinking of doing a different color island however i did not like any of the options so we went with white.

So just wanted to update, I am totally used to the tiles now and really love them!! Very hassle free.
    Still haven't chosen our countertops.
    I think it's between Caesarstone misty carrara and ocean foam. What do you think?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love the cabinets so much and I love the floors! They look so real and will easy to keep clean. Can you post these counter choices again with your cabinets so we can see them and help you make a decision?

• calumin
    10 years ago

For our white cabinets, we went with Coastal Grey by Chroma (Pental) for countertops. It's kind of like the dark sample you had in an earlier photo. That combination worked well for us. We then used large Carrera marble tiles for the backsplash.

I kind of like the contrast of the grey to go with the white cabinets.

• aries61
    10 years ago

IliN :. Thanks for answering. I'm 99% sure that I'll be going with Shiloh, except doing a raised panel instead of a flat panel. I have a small peninsula that I was thinking about doing in a stained finish instead of painted, but not real fond of any of there stained finishes. Was maybe thinking the new Silas finish, but only have seen it on cherry and don't like it. I'll maybe order a sample of the Silas in maple to see how that looks.

• swfr
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest Piatra Gray Caesarstone but see that Gooster beat me to it. But that's okay because it gave me a chance to see Gooster's kitchen again which I am obsessed with!!! I love the PG color with white cabinets so much. That's what we're ordering and our island will be cherry with a frosty carrina top.

I encourage you to give Piatra Gray a test run-- it has warm tones and is just so pretty.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Ilin, which door did you choose from Shiloh? I love it with the beaded inset. I also like how one of the wider doors that would have a stile in the middle, you instead have a skinnier cabinet next to it. That was my problem with Shiloh is that I am keeping my same layout and three of my upper cabinets (39" wide) would have a stile in the middle which I dislike as I have that now. I really loved the Shiloh Polar cabinets and if I find a good kitchen contractor to install them and if they can get rid of the stiles, maybe I would consider them again. I love recessed doors and drawers like yours. I was going to go with the more plainer recessed door and drawer in 2011 and then Skeeter passed away. I grieved so much for my little dog and I needed to get through my busy season to have time for the renovation. Then I had major surgery and it set me back again. I am now not sure I can live with the stile in the middle despite loving the inset cabinets as I do not have many cabinets and need the room. I just love the Shiloh Cabinets so much and every time I see a picture of them, I fall in love.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Ilin, which door did you choose from Shiloh? I love it with the beaded inset. I also like how one of the longer doors that would have a stile in the middle, you instead have a skinnier cabinet next to it. That was my problem with Shiloh is that I am keeping my same layout and three of my upper cabinets would have a stile in the middle which I dislike as I have that now. I really loved the Shiloh Polar cabinets and if I find a good kitchen contractor to install them and if they can get rid of the stiles, maybe I would consider them again. I love recessed doors and drawers like yours. I was going to go with the more plainer recessed door and drawer in 2011 and then Skeeter passed away. I grieved so much for my little dog and I needed to get through my busy season to have time for the renovation. Then I had major surgery and it set me back again. I am now not sure I can live with the stile in the middle despite loving the inset cabinets as I do not have many cabinets and need the room. I just love the Shiloh Cabinets so much and every time I see a picture of them, I fall in love.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aries, this was the reason I went all white, I didn't really like any of their glazes and their gray was more beige-y.

Gooster Swfr, I will check out the piatra gray thanks!

Lynn so sorry to hear about your dog and I hope your back is better! What area do you live in? I have a great kitchen designer/contractor and the work has been fantastic. We are in the MetroWest area of Boston.

Everything is done now apart from countertops, tiles, plumbing and electrics!! Crown moldings and hardware is in.

Here's some pics!

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Painted stonington gray, added restoration hardware gilmore pulls and crownmoldings and base boards. And the tile has been grouted and looks fantastic!

My husband wants to do Misty Gray CS everywhere.
    I am thinking maybe Misty Gray for the island and one of the darker ones for the perimeter?
    What do you think?

Misty gray

Tile choices, from Ann Sacks

Here's my inspiration pics:
    All misty gray:
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/white-beach-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~82786-Beach-Kitchen-traditional-kitchen-other-metro

https://www.houzz.com/photos/rennes-contemporary-kitchen-los-angeles-phvw-vp~3415446-contemporary-kitchen-other-metro

Ann sacks tile:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/74098356342729948/

Here is one with a gray perimeter:
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/soothing-white-and-gray-kitchen-remodel-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~882838-White-and-Gray-Kitchen-Remodel-traditional-kitchen-chicago

What do you think?
    Thanks so much!!!

• Ivan I
    10 years ago

re: Backsplash

Since your floors have red in them, I'd pick one of the first 2 backsplash tiles on the left. Either the one with a green undertone (left most) or a tan understone (next to it) but not the blue-ish one.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Before I even looked at everyone's suggestions, I immediately thought dark grey. Now that you've suggested it, I think the Misty Grey on the island with a charcoal grey on the perimeter would be gorgeous!

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! Do you think the dark gray will look ok with the greenish tile?

• aries61
    10 years ago

IliN: If you get a minute, can you post a more closeup picture of the crown molding that you went with? I'm trying to decide which one. Also, can you post a picture of the front of the sink cabinet ? Did you get a chance to measure the sink cabinet. Do you have anywhere posted, a layout of your kitchen cabinets? Just trying to get a just of the different sizes that you used.

Thanks. Sorry to be a pain.

• leighj
    10 years ago

I love your floors. I saw this picture today on Pinterest I thought I would share with you as it seems similar to what you may be going for. Even has the same tile floors. I think the white marble counters would be really pretty.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mareluce, thanks for the input, I agree!

Aries, I just measured the sink cabinet and it's about 32.5 inches. Hope that helps!
    Here are some photos of the sink cabinet and also the crown molding. It's different than the crown molding in the kitchen as we added that after but it doesn't bother me.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mareluce, thanks for the input, I agree!

Aries, I just measured the sink cabinet and it's about 32.5 inches. Hope that helps! I have a kitchen plan somewhere, i'll try to find it.
    Here are some photos of the sink cabinet and also the crown molding. It's different than the crown molding in the kitchen as we added that after but it doesn't bother me.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Ilin, is your sink cabinet a regular base cabinet that they just attached legs to after the cabinet was installed or was the cabinet ordered to specifically accommodate the legs?

Thx! The cabinet guy and installer were here yesterday doing final tweaks for my cabinet order and I have to go in today to pick out crown molding and then the order will be placed. I might like to add those legs!! I love the way that looks without having to clip the corners of the cabinet.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The legs were added after and came separately but I'm not sure if he ordered the cabinet on special order to fit them. I'll ask when he comes over.

So my husband wants to do misty carrera all around. He says its Gray enough to be different than the white. What do you guys think?

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lcskaisgir

I just asked my contractor and they did custom make the sink cabinet to fit the faux legs in the front. Hope that helps!
    Just ordered misty carrara for all the countertops, almost there, just need to pick my backsplash now!!! Probably the pale green ann sacks?

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Thank you for finding out for me! I was in the showroom today and showed my cabinet guy a pic of your sink cabinet and that's what he figured. I like your counter choice. Can't wait to see it all completed:)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I love your counter choice! Please post pictures when it is installed.

• heidia
    10 years ago

I see what you are seeing-the misty carrera has a warm green/yellow hue next to the cool blue hue of your white cabs. That said, natural stone and marble is actually warmer than we think once installed as well, but as a whole it look okay. I do think it will be okay once installed. From a totally 100% color geekery point, the three darker greys would look cleaner with the white shade of your cabs. But still, I really think that if you installed the misty, it would work-whatever you do, get a countertop you love by itself. :) THis is going to be a gorgeous kitchen!!!

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So we laid our earthwerks accuclick fake wood flooring in our basement and thought of putting a sample upstairs on top of the tile and it looks sooooo much better than the tile so now we are back to thinking that we want to change the tile again! Ugh. It's already laid and grouted. What are our options?
    Obviously the best looking result would be to rip it out and lay wood but that would be way too expensive. Option number 2 is to lay down some sort of good quality engineered wood ontop and then add trim around.... It would need to be a super thing one though.
    Are we crazy? I just feel the tiles really let me awesome cabinets down :( They don't compliment them at all ....

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

LLin, I wish your contractor was closer to me as that is so great how he was able to make the cabinets less wide and have usable space next to the cabinet in a skinnier cabinet version to eliminate stiles. I live in Northern, NJ which is a little less than 1 hour from NYC.

I like your floors and I feel when everything is all done, you will love your kitchen floors also.

Any pictures of your basement floors?

Which counter did you end up choosing.

My little Skeeter is still so missed despite 1.75 years having passed. After my additional extension deadline, I will get back to my kitchen and replacing all of the floors downstairs as I had water damage from a burst water heat pipe on 3-20-13 and finally the insurance company is settling with me. Skeeter was a little Maltese who was 12.75 years of age that was deaf but smart and lovable. His best weight was 7 lbs. but he died at 6.2 lbs. His seizures kept getting worse and I was not able to revive him on 12-30-11. He would want me to finish my kitchen. I wish he would have been with me a few more years. Our "Furkidz" do not live long enough.

• Lisa
    10 years ago

No crazier than the rest of us! I'm so sorry to hear that you are hating your floors. How frustrating to be getting so close and to not like something as major as your floors. Are your counters installed yet? Maybe after everything is in (counters, etc) you won't notice how much you hate the floors... Is it the color of the tile or that it is tile and not wood?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I was posting to a post regarding inset versus full overlay and saw that you finished your cabinet counters.

llin- Link to counters on her beautiful inset Shiloh cabinets.

Did you keep your floors? Can we please have more pictures of your kitchen including the floors? Thank you so much. I think you will learn to love the floors.

Here is a link that might be useful: llin- Link to counters on her beautiful inset Shiloh cabinets

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for listening guys Counters are installed we went with Misty Carrera by Caesarstone.
    My electrician managed to put a dent in them already and I also noticed a couple of tiny chips when I scrapped a plate and pot on the edge. The rep is coming out to check them. They really should be more durable (I had the same in my old house just a different color)

It's nighttime now but I'll take some good pictures tomorrow with my proper camera with natural light. I love how it's all come out but shame about the floor. Funny thing is I hated them and my husband loved them so I started loving them too and then he has now changed his mind so I'm back to square 1!!!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

why don't links work anymore on GW?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Cabinets are beautiful. Crown molding is beautiful. Countertops are beautiful. In the pics you've posted, your floor looks beautiful. All your details (apron valance in front your sink ) your kitchen looks beautiful. Can't wait for your reveal.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Another Link of the Misty Gray Counter llin posted

Here is a link that might be useful: [Another Link of the Misty Gray Counter llin posted[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rennes-contemporary-kitchen-los-angeles-phvw-vp~3415446)

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Ann Sacks Tile Link- Must type the link in the Optional Link URL in order for the link to be clickable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks Tile Link

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Gray Permeter - Gray & White Kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: [Gray Permeter - Gray & White Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/soothing-white-and-gray-kitchen-remodel-traditional-kitchen-chicago-phvw-vp~882838)

• agk2003
    10 years ago

have you seen silestone lyra? we got a sample of that and frosty carrina this weekend and much preferred it to the frosty carrina due to the whiter background and more pronounced "veining."

• Paul Celeste
    10 years ago

We went with the Jet Black Mist Granite in a leathered finish....really happy with it. Subway tiles in soft color combo.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful Monomoy! Love your subway, very different!

Ok so here are some updated pictures.

Whole kitchen, iphone pic so I could fit it all (there is also a large pantry room to the right which I will post in the final reveal)

and here are some clearer ones with my proper camera

You can see the floor a bit better here

and I think this is the tile we are going with (without the white bit at the bottom). It's a Mexican hand painted tile. This is the 2x8 size. Debating wether to go with 3x6 or this one? Thoughts?

So we still kind of hate the floor, I think it's because I miss the warmth of wood. Seriously considering ripping it out and laying hardwood. I hope I grow to like it!!!

• Lisa
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is looking soooo beautiful! I wish you liked your floors though:( I think they look gorgeous, though I can't "feel" them which it sounds like might be more of your issue with them. That tile is so pretty too. I love the 2x8, its just a little less ordinary than the 3x6 size (that tile is anything but ordinary...just talking about the size only). Is it gray? Can't wait to see it completed! Are you liking the cabinets, counters, and everything else?

• romy718
    10 years ago

Love the tile (and your whole kitchen). I was trying to make the same decision about tile size, looked at a million pictures and my feeling was the 2x8 seemed more contemporary, the 3x6 more traditional. I ended up choosing 3x6 because my kitchen is more traditional. Also, the sample I had was 3x6. Maybe if I had a 2x8 sample? It's so hard for me to visualize how the end result will look. The 2x8 sample looks really good. That tile is going to look awesome, whichever size you pick. The colors are great & will really look nice with your grey walls. Hopefully someone with "vision" will weigh in.

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much lcskaisgir and romy!
    I think I am leaning towards the 2x8 too. I don't know if it's just because this is what I have on the sample. I was so stuck on the traditional 3x6 before! The tile itself is very traditional so maybe even in the 2x8 it will be ok?
    Any designers around?
    Thanks!!

• romy718
    10 years ago

You might get more input if you start a new thread, "backsplash tile, 2x6 or 3x6, opinions please". Include some pics of that beautiful new kitchen.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 9:23

• IliN
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great idea, thank you!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Llin, Which dishwasher did you get that does not stick out as you have gorgeous inset doors? I am wanting the inset cabinets but did not realize my 4 year old Dishwasher will stick out as it is a KitchenAid dishwasher with the top silverware tray. Now I wish I bought the Bosch and was not convinced by the salesperson to get the KitchenAid.

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I actually love your entire kitchen, including the floors! I hope you grow to love them. They don't look too red at all on my monitor - just a nice, warm brown color. It all looks very beautiful together.

I like the tile backsplash you've chosen too.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Llin, I went back to a different post and saw you are using the Whirlpool dishwasher which looks beautiful and KitchenAid is made my Whirlpool. How come your dishwasher does not stick out like mine does? I want to go with inset cabinets but maybe I have to go with full overlay due to the dishwasher I have if mine is longer than yours?