Software
Houzz Logo Print
sjs1106

Need help with my bedroom

13 years ago
I am open for any suggestions. I'm not sure I love the layout of the room & maybe the wall color needs to change too. I know I need more pillows and accessories but not sure whether more pink or turquoise?

Comments (56)

  • 13 years ago
    This is a great window treatment for all your windows, and would go great with your comforter: [houzz=
    Window Coverings · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi sjs1106! Love your bed and your view.

    I agree w/the others -

    -paint all one color or have the ceiling just a shade lighter than the walls
    -the color of your duvet is very nice and would make a great wall color
    -the windows need new curtains
    -the lamp shades could be changed

    I also think you could use smaller side tables, a chandelier toward the bottom of the bed & a new chair - a smaller, more contemporary chair that you could fit in the corner across from the bed next to the doors. I love the armoire but I do kind of think it could be moved out of this room to another. Are you set on the armoire?

    Here are some pictures I thought you might like:
    Emerald Cove Master Bed Room · More Info

    (disclaimer: we sell a lot of the products in this room but that is not why I am sharing)

    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info

    (Love the wall color and the curtains)

    Crystal Cove · More Info

    (Don't really like the color scheme but the window treatments are interesting)

    Hope this helps a little. I'll check back in tomorrow. Good night all.

    Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi, when looking at your room, I think it might be better if you paint your walls in lighter colors. In this way, it would be easier for you to match the color of other interior decoration items and the room may even look bigger than really is.

    I have some very good curtains to recommend. And here are some photos for your reference.

    Also, Cheery Curtains offers curtains in many materials like silk, faux silk, chenille, cotton, linen, etc. Plus, we have many patterns to select beside the solid curtains.

    Feel free to contact me at nophie@cheerycurtains.com, and I would be more than glad if I can help.

    Kind regards,
    Nophie
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi--- I like what you have going on here---interesting. I think you need something to unite the colors---pillows, art, and perhaps an oyster/orchid wall color would be perfect. Hope this is helpful... Good Luck!
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/95453913/sale-pair-funky-retro-pink-brown-blue?ref=sr_gallery_29&ga_search_query=blue+and+pink+modern+pillow&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/109118929/the-tipping-point-abstract-painting
  • 13 years ago
    Here is what I was talking about!
    Hope you like it :)
  • 13 years ago
    Ditto Natalie. I think painting the walls the color of your duvet and changing out the curtains would do wonders. The pinks and blues would then look great then with the rest of the room. I'd move your white chair to another area and dress it with a pillow on it similar to Natalie's or a throw with that shade of blue. Lovely room and really beautiful armoire and bed treatment.

    I love your curtains too, but their color seems to jar, and I would have simpler more natural treatments like blinds and gauzy whites.

    The room is fighting to be in a golden palette or a silver palette. My favorite things are your bed dressing and armoire, and the gray/silvery/pink and blues work well with those items. Wall color and curtains fight that.

    Maybe an area rug and pillows like Natalie suggests would unify them without changing them out and that would be a cheaper way to go, but looking at your pictures over again, I really don't see your drapes working because they are quite strong in color.
  • 13 years ago
    you need more colors in every thing.....may be wall paper on the back of the bed....paint the ceiling and the rest of the walls with a cool colour ..as light blue....pink curtains..... printed pillows with pink shades on bed and chair.....some pink flowers.....
  • 13 years ago
    Hi! Your have a very nice room. I think you should start with a change in the drapes and paint. Paint the angled wall with wall paint instead of ceiling paint. This will extend the height of your room. (See attached photo). This photo was taken from a series called Makeover Mondays by Rebecca Robeson Design on You Tube. Each Monday she gives away a free bedroom design. If you like watching videos, it's full of inspiration. Better yet, perhaps you could win a free makeover. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    agree about the window treatments--would be well worth the time, money and effort to have a pro window treatment person out to deal with the tricky corner windows and door/window issue. that is the main problem in this room. the existing treatments are very awkward. a pro will help you bring some different and complementary texture to the room. i think that the curtain rod over the entire door needs to go...the existing windows don't really allow for a good way to hang soft window treatments.

    overall, you have a great space to work with! have fun!!!
  • 13 years ago
    either the wall and the curtains must go. the rest is fine. they are warm colors wth cool colors on the headboard and rest. use blinds on square windows and a luxurios curtain on the balcony door. I am think velvet or silkin pewter. the walls in the celadon are great. you could also do bright pink.
  • 13 years ago
    The curtains are just too heavy for the room - very baroque and out of place. I think your room should be a silver jewel box with a bit of muted gray and a pop of your pink.
    Teen Damask Theme Bedroom · More Info

    Miami · More Info

    The Olivers House · More Info

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/2011-dream-home-bedroom-at-merchandise-mart-transitional-bedroom-chicago-phvw-vp~213842
  • 13 years ago
    I like tetoette's wall color selection and Natalie's suggestion of adding pillows with patterns to tie the colors together. Adding art work or narrow shelves with objects d'art on the opposite blank wall would complete the picture.
  • 13 years ago
    I would change the headboard for something a little more padded, but not winged, as it is now. I agree that the walls and ceiling should be painted the same color, grey or seafoam green,maybe a slight shade difference. Ditch the curtains - too fussy and heavy compared to the lightness of your bedding-silks or sheers would be better. A collection of small mirrors on a wall would pull in the armoir - it's quite a heavy piece fo a small room. Bring in some wood texture either with flooring or picture/photo frames.
  • 13 years ago
    You could go dark on the wall behind the bed...contrast would make your bed be the focal point of the room. Any way to make the blue lamp shade and chair match?...they're just slightly off which throws your eye bouncing between the two.
  • 13 years ago
    What stands out the most to me is that the wall color doesn't mesh with the bedding, and the solid-colored rug is taking away from the elegance (a solid-colored rug would be easier to pull off in a modern decor, or in a natural material like jute). If you're planning to keep your bedding, I'd paint the walls a medium grayish brown. I actually like the tan color on your walls, but I don't think it goes well with the gray-toned comforter. Put up some paint swatches and find something that harmonizes better. The paint color doesn't need to be grey, just a color with more grey undertones. The raspberry accents are fine with me. You obviously like that, and whatever you do, you want to keep the elements that make you feel happy when you look at them. I also suggest removing that rug and showing more of your hardwood floors. For a rug, I think an oriental one with a subtle pattern would look better than that solid color (just make sure you stay in the same color family as your bedding--which has more gray tones). I also agree about finding curtains that match better. If you like blue, you could stay with a blue-grey toned oriental rug (but again, show a little more floor). Also, find some artwork to hang over the bed? For a sophisticated look, maybe a set of black and white photographs, or a simple landscape?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    decoenthusiaste - "silver jewel box" - love it!

    Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • 13 years ago
    I would paint the walls the light blue color in your rug, or slightly darker. Move the chair to the corner under the other window, to help balance the bed. Remove the curtains, to be replaced with a lighter colored blind/drape combo. Add patterned pillows in the bedding color/light blue/pink. The wall color will make a huge difference. I think that is the main thing throwing off the room. You have a great start.
  • 13 years ago
    Your drapes are too heavy. I would replace them with Plantation shutters. I agree, paint the walls and ceiling the same color. I would consider changing the color of the lamp shades and chair. You need some art work on the wall at the end of the bed.
  • 13 years ago
    Your room has very nice architecture. It looks like you have too much furniture or that the scale of the furniture in the room is too large.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi again all,
    There were so many good comments, I tried to incorporate other suggestions in the images - putting flat blinds / fabric shades in front of the windows behind the bed, and taking advantage of the beautiful arch above the window to install some higher, lighter drapes that frame the view.
  • 13 years ago
    the deeper grey that is in you throw pillows would be wonderful on your walls.with a lighter shade on the ceiling,perhaps larger side lamps, and lovely grey drapes ( maybe with some pattern to them) very simply hung . Your idea of more pillows and pillowcases made of a lovely fabric that made bring in the turquoise you loe,,but I think the shad you are using now is to soft for the raspberry,,,pick a deeper shade if your heart yearns for it:) good luck, you have many wonderful opinions:) here is a color inspiration..
  • 13 years ago
    I'd suggest wainscoting the wall opposite the bed (which can be paint or wallpaper on the bottom with moulding over it) and hanging art above that. Put track lighting on the ceiling to illuminate this art and any art you put above the bed itself, and to wash the ceiling with light. Put the track lighting about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way up the sloped part of the ceiling from the side opposite the bed.

    Then paint away with one or more colors, do as you will with the drapes, etc.

    My concern from the pictures would be privacy - do you really want people out in the park to reach for their binoculars to check out what you are doing in bed? Or watching you dress? You do need non-see through curtains or blinds on at least the door to the deck.
  • 13 years ago
    Love the color of the pink throw but it is too small for the bed and should be wide enough to hang over the edge of your mattress. I wonder if you could cut and sew it to make it a bit wider.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    it is obvious that you get a lot of light. So if you like that paint the room white! it will enhance the brightness and make the room look bigger. I think you could do turquoise for a more beachy look and pink for a sassy look. but either way find you happy medium and combine them both to be as unique and glamorous as you want :) and i would put the bed where the dresser cabinet is. It makes the room flow a lot better especially if you want the main attraction to be the deck.
  • 13 years ago
    I would suggest an updated dresser that is more in line with the colour of the headboard/bed frame. Also the curtains could do with a change to a simpler colour, also to complement the headboard. Perhaps change the style of them to drop down Blinds (Roman blinds I think?).

    If you want pink, on the curtains may be a good place to make a statement, but you may want to paint your walls an off-white or grey-white so it stands out whilst looking clean and stylish.
  • 13 years ago
    So many great suggestions. I would love to see a piece of art or a sunburst mirror over the bed.
  • 13 years ago
    tetoette handed you a wonderful color palette. For anything large, turquoise, add a pink pillow as in the suggestions. Unfortunately I am not fond of the current curtains. For me, they are too dark and break up any flow in the room. Can you take them down for awhile and still maintain your privacy? If they are new, and you can't change them, add sheerness OVER them, not behind as usual. After those changes, keep in mind my suggestions are for a small, low budget change, THEN tackle your wall color. I am fond of the grey-ish idea, but a light and airy grey.
  • 13 years ago
    I think your bed needs to stay on that wall based on walkways through the room. I would move into a silver palette however. Paint the walls a light silvery grey or even a silvery pale blue. The lamp shades change out to silver or white. The drapes feel too heavy for the room. Go neutral with them and sheer if you don't need to use them to darken the space. Then your linens can be your pops of color. And you can get several sets and change out the color schemes occasionally of pillows and throws. An accent chair in the corner in a bright white leather. The side tables in a mirrored surface. Some repeating artwork across the bed as the glass will reflect the light. A nice mirror grouping above the bed to also reflect the light. I think your space can be fantastic. Good luck
    [houzz=
    Parkwood Road Residence Master Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Lake Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Lake Residence · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    "Lavender Gray" Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Merilane Avenue Residence 2 Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Savvy Interiors- San Diego · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Historic Victorian Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Wyeth · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Pemberton Addition/Renovation · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Master Bedroom · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Belmont Design Group · More Info
    ]
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all for your help! I am making a few of the suggested changes & will post photos for more help along the way. The curtains can't be sheer as I need them for privacy & to allow me to sleep in on weekends! I love the help! Thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    If you want to make the room seem to have more light in it change the curtains to a lighter shade and add more of that turquoise accents to the room
  • 13 years ago
    Based on a recent ideabooks on bedroom corners, how about a writing desk in the window corner? It would be a nice place with all the natural light and view...
  • 13 years ago
    I LIKE the raspberry pink with the tan walls and duvet. I'm usually a turquoise lover, but in this case I think it looks out of place. Different windows treatments definitely--woven wood blinds all around? And more or larger pillows on the bed. I like the print of the 2 you have there, just need something else.
  • 13 years ago
    If there is enough space on the wall to reposition the bed 90 degrees anticlockwise then I think this would be ideal, wouldn't it be great to wake up to a beautiful landscape? Then I would look at colours and think about neutral ones that would suit the interior and exterior alike.Good look with whatever you choose.
  • 13 years ago
    I also have lots of windows. I treated the smaller side window as a separate window with it's own rod. my long bank I used one long rod however i bought white ikea duck curtains and grouped them
  • 13 years ago
    I ended up painting a the walls a dark navy. I'm really happy with them & then I moved the furniture a bit. I still want to get new light fixtures for each side of the bed. Any suggestions would be great! As well as some pillow shams or something. I also need help with accessories for over the bed & across from the bed. I have a painting of a hibiscus with colors that will go great with the room but I don't exactly know where to hang it. So right now it's just sitting next to the TV. Thanks everyone for your help so far. I left the drapes but took one panel down off the small window. I haven't found any other drapes I've fallen in love with & I even think with the new color they might work. I'm attaching lots of pictures. Some were during early evening & some were after dark so the colors might look a bit different in each.
  • 13 years ago
    This look is dramatic and cozy. What a difference the Navy made. Congrats on your choices. The bright pink enameled dressing table is a whimsical touch and is wonderful against the dark wall. I just may get brave next time I paint my bedroom walls and go for a dark color. You have inspired me.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi all!

    sjs1106 - The room is really coming along. Thanks so much for posting the update. I love the navy!

    Is it possible for you to take 1 more picture so we can see the view from the head of the bed?

    Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Was looking for something else and came across this pic, thought of your room.

    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info


    Maybe you could build something out around the windows like this.

    Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    One more. :) I also like the dressing table in front of the window in this room.

    My Houzz: Parisian Flair in Chicago · More Info


    Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • 13 years ago
    View from the head of the bed. This picture needs to get hung but haven't figured out where so it just sits by the TV
  • 13 years ago
    The room is too dark. Remove those drapes! Lighten the room by painting the walls white or neural colours.
    The windows are gorgeous! The bed is much too dark, keep the bed in white or neural colours add colour with pillows or throws. You could add silver in there somewhere too.

    You could have a beautiful elegant room, but don't add too many colours only two or three.
  • 13 years ago
    And keep the curtains/drapes in a light flowing fabric.
  • 13 years ago
    To bumbles. Not sure which pictures you are looking at but the bed is a natural linen fabric with a champagne comforter. So I have no idea what you are talking about the bed being too dark. Maybe it's just the photos are off on your monitor. The room gets tons of natural light so feeling dark definitely isn't an issue. But if you have suggestions on lamps, or a bedside table for the side of the bed nearest the windows or artwork or a mirror or something for over the bed or across from the bed. I'd love advice. Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    To the essentials inside. I love the look of the custom drapery in your picture. I've thought about doing something like that. I'd love to hang my drapes along the ceiling line but then I'm confused on what length drapes would be. I need the drapes to be functional and since the wall with the windows isn't the same height all the way across it has me thrown. Do I go with long drapes & they just puddle when pulled back? Here is a close up of what confuses me with the ceiling. Cause I love that look but just don't know how to do it in my space
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I like neutral colours of white, grey, creams, silver.
    I was looking at your first photo.
    You definitely have improved the room.
    Just one suggestion: "less is more". Don't over crowd this lovely room. Good luck with it.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    What about something like the shades in the picture below? You could do over the sliders and on each window.
    Mill Valley Classic Cottage · More Info


    Do you need the top window covered?

    Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com
  • 13 years ago
    light blue walls?
    French Country Master Suite · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    ?
    Greenwich Residence · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I agree 100% with Manon. Great style board!! The wall color definitely needs to change to a lighter cooler hue neutral.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi sjs1106! Just checking in to see how you are doing with your room.

    Lyvonne
    www.essentialsinside.com