Software
Houzz Logo Print
allie_brodovsky

Help with my small living room

11 years ago
My living room is small it's a duplex and has become so cluttered with big furniture that doesn't match and no storage at all for kids stuff

Comments (50)

  • 11 years ago
    I have so many times and it always ends up a mess the second I'm done.
  • 11 years ago
    you need a large bookcase storage cabinet...with both shelves and doors on cabinets. that will help you keep uncluttered.
  • 11 years ago
    I have a bookcase but of course it's packed with books but is there a way to make doors for it
  • 11 years ago
    Please help me remodel and declutter ideas
  • 11 years ago
    Check out flylady.com for help on decluttering and cleaning. The one thing they advise is setting a kitchen timer for 15 minutes and decluttering or cleaning for that amount of time. It's amazing what you get done in a few minutes.

    One thing you might consider is renting a storage space if you have stuff you want to keep but no place for it. But don't keep things you don't absolutel have to or you'll end up being overrun and controlled by your stuff. I say this as I live across the street from a hoarder like you see on the hoarding shows, and it's amazing how letting things go for a while, and not wanting to get rid of stuff can take over your life.
  • 11 years ago
    Think storage unit is bad idea. Doesn't address the underlying problem of hoarding.

    I see a room in the background with a sofa. Have to ask: Do you use this "living room" for anything but a dumping zone?

    Have a consignment store or charity in to pick up the furniture. Box up the books (are you really going to read them again?). Take them that day away and do not look back.

    You can take the photos out of frames and store them or put them into a scrap book. Donate the frames.

    Slow and steady wins the race.
  • 11 years ago
    This is the main room unfortunately it's a very tiny place and I have kids that trash this place. My husband is a hoarder I want to just throw a bunch of stuff away but that would probably end in divorce
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I wish commenters would not put the term hoarder on a poster who asks for help in containing her stuff. I do not see hoarding in this pic. Allie, is your husband a real hoarder or a messy person? I remember well, living in small rooms with large furniture and three young children. I think the advice to take one area at a time will help. Perhaps start with the bookcase and try to be disciplined in donating or disposing of everything on the shelves. The suggestions to store almost all the photos in a book or box is a good one.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Wouldn't it be nice to look out that front window and let the light in? Can the TV move to where the desk is? Is that your front entry to the left of the TV...do you all use that entry? If so, you might want to put a table or bench or clothes tree there to "catch" the incoming items.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    edithsmom, just what I was getting ready to suggest. Would love to see the light coming from the window. What is the next room with the couch? Would it be possible to fixed up as an area for the kids?
  • 11 years ago
    You cannot put doors on the piece you showed, but you might consider a system from Ikea that would allow you go higher up the wall with storage. Doors are available, and cases can be mixed and matched inexpensively. Placing items out of reach may also be of benefit, as only what is being used can be brought down, and must be put back before play moves to another set of items. Baskets on the lower levels give the kids control of smaller bits, and make coralling them easy,too.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas I really need to go to ikea. My hubby isn't a hoarder but things have a sentimental value just like his mother the other room I'm trying to make a play room but hubby music engineering stuff is in the was. I really want to have a garage sale and get new things
  • 11 years ago
    When I look at this room I see a lot of things that I don't think are your husband's. Stuffed animals, baby gate, kid's sports trophies. Maybe your children don't need all of these things, or these items can go in their rooms. If they are sentimental (kid's sports trophies) can you take photos of them and let the items themselves go?

    Focus on the things that you can change.
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry I was harsh. I have been trying to help an uncle lately who just can't let go of anything....even old newspapers!

    So, start with what you can control, such as trophies. Your kids will probably each get a couple a year, unless they are really special, rather than just the ones that are handed out to everyone, let them go.

    Do one section a day. Even just a drawer. And one trick is it either goes into the trash can or is donated that day. Don't give yourself time to second guess.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    One place to get new furniture pieces on a budget is consignment stores. Aim for small and lighter. And keeping an airy single color scheme will make your space feel larger. Get tall storage pieces (secure to the wall for safety!) to maximize storage.

    Another way to add storage is old suitcases stacked up to create a side table, or a large old trunk as a coffee table.

    But nothing takes the place of constantly sorting and tossing!

    SHERYL · More Info

    Inman Park Condo · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    I have a box that I pitch my husband's stuff in. If he does not look or ask for it in 6 months I donate it.
  • 11 years ago
    I told him last night I'm having a garage sale and I'm getting all new stuff because I'm so sick of having miss mached stuff and just random things his mother gives him.
  • 11 years ago
    Allie, if your children are old enough and you allow them to keep the money from their items sold, they may be willing to part with more for the garage sale.
  • 11 years ago
    I have a 16 month old and an 8 year old stepson who will not get rid of anything so I sneakily throw things away when he's not here.
  • 11 years ago
    I think most mothers take that on for their young ones, and there is no need to feel you are being sneaky - you are being attentive to his needs in discarding what is no longer useful to his development, and that is part of good parenting.
  • 11 years ago
    another facet of raising kids is to limit their "stuff". Never too early to start learning about "need" and "want". Give them storage for their things....in their rooms. The living room is for family "living" not storage.
  • 11 years ago
    Yea I completely agree with all of u. We need to get our taxes first then do the garage sale and pretty much get rid of everything and then we can slowly buy things that will make my living room lol awesome then the play room and then the bedrooms. I just have remember take it one step at a time because everyday I freak out looking at this place.
  • 11 years ago
    It will help just to work on the small stuff (clear out those half used bottles of stuff under the sink in the bathroom, the kitchen junk drawer) as you wait for the garage sale. Maybe start a Houzz Idea book with your hubby on small living rooms, etc.

    My niece has her kids gather old toys up for donation before Christmas and birthdays. Most of our kids have just way too much (as do we!). I have started asking for gifts of events rather than things - no storage there! That would be a good thing to do with the kids also: a trip to the zoo rather than 20 stuffed zoo animals!
  • 11 years ago
    I am starting to post stuff on Craigslist
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    It's good to have a lot of time to get ready for a garage sale.

    Most decluttering websites, like flylady, advise going through a room with 3 boxes. One is for charity/garage sale, one for things that are going to a different room, and one for garbage.

    The nice thing about the flylady site is that she encourages you to take one step at a time, which helps overcome the feeling that it is overwhelming because you want to fix everything at once. That's kind of what I am hearing from you. Give it a try - what can you lose?

    One of the things that rings true for me is that she says that you can't organize clutter. You have to get rid of it. So true.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks I have to lol her up
  • 11 years ago
    You go girl!!
  • 11 years ago
    I see so much potential in this space but first I think you have to get rid of what you don't need. That takes time and effort and you are the only one who can decide what stays and what goes. Try to do 15 minutes a day, you will see results. Look at the big picture. Your l6 month old is not going to be a big help, but your 8 year old son will be. They love to help at that age. Enlist the help of the whole family.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think you need to condense some items. If we have bookcases, we tend to clutter them because they are there. Maybe try this .....

    I would move the desk where the sofa is now.
    Temporarily place the TV on top of desk.
    (Maybe sell things you don't need & replace with storage units)
    Sofa where the desk is now.
    The two chairs at the window with the end table between them.
    Looks like you have a fireplace? It needs to be seen.
    Tall bookcase on left side of the fireplace
    Short bookcase on right side of fireplace, but needs to go.
    I cannot find a place for the DVD rack :(

    I think you need a bookcase and cabinet combination storage, instead of open shelving.
    I would get a coffee table that has storage and/or drawers for in front of the sofa. It can store toys and DVDs.

    If you start here, you can decide what needs to go or what would be more storage efficient. Yes, as some said, place photos in an album. Store trophies somewhere else, maybe under a bed. Donate books. In small spaces you need to give up some things.
  • 11 years ago
    Go throw books, make piles, keep, give away. Can some books go to kids room?
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Hi... would it help to mention what their bedrooms are like - big, small, and does 8yr old enjoy his room? If he likes to climb on the couch etc. I could see leaving that for a while since many couches will be as wide anyway ... then chair/s a bit smaller than your current one...
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone I'm doing the whole flylady thing because it gives what to do and that it for the day. I am starting to come up with new ideas on storage and selling things on Craigslist and when we are ready to sell the bigger thinks like couch ect we will save you enough to buy new things
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    That's a great start Allie. One area at a time. A little here, a little there. Kids don't remember all the toys they have. Watch what they gravitate to most often. You will know what they have lost interest in. I have not really seen kids sit in their child chairs. They take up room, so if he doesn't use it, maybe for someone else :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    If you want to keep the bookcase, I would get some inexpensive baskets (same size and color) to hide some things on the shelves. Toys can go in these too at the bottom for the children to reach and put away :) You can put their name on the front. They will feel like it's their own private space. Make it a game to see how fast they pick up the toys and put them away. Winner gets $.50. The other children get $.25.
  • 11 years ago
    That's a wonderful idea
  • 11 years ago
    One thing that might help keep your living room a sane place,,,, is to have kids help you pick up toys EVERY NIGHT!! If I didn't do that then the next day mine didn't play with stuff that was left out,,,, they got more stuff out!!! Seriously, by day 3, I couldn't walk thru the room! I agree with moving the TV to the top of the chest, if cords will allow. That window will make the room seem bigger. Also, it looks like the walls are a light color but maybe need a new coat of paint? It can be the same color, but it will look brighter! As for your husband, mine is like that,,,, You can enlist his help by telling him the room is driving you crazy and ask him for suggestions to make it better. If he can't think of anything then I think you can get him to help by telling him nicely, "I need you to help me paint this room", or move the TV, or whatever! Of course timing is everything. If he's watching football it's not going to happen. He may be a little ADD and just doesn't see the clutter, and he may be a little bit of a hoarder or OBC about holding on to things,,, but there may be an emotional reason, so stay calm. Get yourself outside everyday &/or get a happy light and take Vit D,,, it's that time of the year! If it were me I'd spend money on having the carpet cleaned, paint, some better bookshelves & use craigslist to sell stuff you're not using and save save to buy new furniture.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    what Karen said.... Murphy's Oil - will that clean your chair? and save it for a while?
    If you get cold ever, a $9.99 throw from Ikea or the usual store...
    Ritva Throw, Orange · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Keep posting your progress and we will cheer you on!

    One idea, I have asked for house things and honey-dos as presents for birthdays, mother's day, etc. Might as well get what you want rather than candy, things you don't!

    Once you have cleared out some, reward yourself with something new for the room: storage ottoman?
    Cliffside Drive · More Info

    Living/Media Room · More Info
  • 11 years ago
    That's the idea and I will definitely keep updating
  • 11 years ago
    i would put the couch on the opposite wall and the tv where the couch is now. put the recliner in the window or if you can put in a window seat. you could also,put a toy chest to store the toys. under the tv put in a long short cabinet to store movies,books and other toys.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If you could maybe start with the rearranging of the furniture that I mentioned, you will feel better during your changes. That will give you inspiration and excitement while feeling better in your room.

    The TV seems it would work best where the sofa is now. It is shallower. More space. The sofa where the desk is now. Can the TV move where the sofa is? The chairs at the window. The room will feel larger with the suggestions I made above. This is a good plan and start for deciding what you will need in the room.
  • 11 years ago
    Yes no tv in front of window.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We can help you a step at a time.... If you want to start... you can switch the sofa with the desk first. Then take a photo and post it. Along with that, work a little at a time in removing the things that you are planning. Some books to donate etc. Find a large cardboard box or bin to store the toys temporarily. We can guide you if you need help :)
  • 11 years ago
    I would move the couch to the wall where desk is... To start.
  • 11 years ago
    TV where the brown chair is, brown chair angled in front of the window. End of the day you will have to toss something's and get baskets and other storage pieces to keep it under control. Chore chart may help.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Found these at the Container Store. Maybe you have one near you. Reg. $9.99 on sale for $7.99. I think I would get all white. Keeps things bright in the room.


    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/binsBaskets/decorative?productId=10036969&N=71225&Nao=60
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone it's a work in progress but I'm doing step by step