Software
Houzz Logo Print
michie88

Strangely shaped room - need help!

13 years ago
Any ideas appreciated! This is our main entrance...you come into the room on the left. As you look straight ahead, there is the kitchen. Windows on the wall on the left. To the right is the alcove area (we now have bar there) and a larger square area (about 11 wide x19). On the entry wall, we have added a mounted TV. We have no furniture and are trying to figure out what to do. There needs to be room to enter and walk comfortably.
Our daughter (2.5) uses this room for playing as well, so we are looking for fairly casual space.
My issues are:
the door - it swings into the room so needs clearance
Windows on left, so can't really put furniture against windows
Alcove area (has bar now and also has door for heater)
other wall area between alcove and kitchen has 1/2 bath, so door there.
Thanks!

Comments (9)

  • 13 years ago
    Looks spacious. Please post a floor plan with measurements. Do you want to keep the bar, perhaps repurposed as a kid play area?
  • 13 years ago
    I would like to see pictures looking from the kitchen to the far side of the living room and from the bar looking across to the other side.

    Can you paint? If so I would paint ALL the walls this color: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/easterlily

    or this color: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/powdersand

    The 'focal' wall should be painted the same color as the other walls.

    Then I would hang Roman shades in either a solid green or in a green print and hang then straight across covering the octagone shaped window just like it was a regular sized window. I would use identical Roman shades to cover the kitchen windows. This will visually link all the windows and make the differnt sizes and shapes less noticable.

    Next I would add a round table to the dining area of the kitchen. A drop leaf table would be a good choice.

    I can't make any other suggestions until I see the other areas or a sketch of the floor plan. :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Apple pie is right, floor plan would be helpful. I want to create an "entry" area in a room that doesn't have one. So I'd like a longer couch floating out from the TV wall with a sofa table behind it. You've now got an entry "hall" created. Great place for keys, storage, etc. Then a love seat set floating, forming an "L" off the couch (or two chairs if you prefer) facing the TV. Are you using the bar? Looks like you are, but not sure if you are thinking of barstools there. If no, a chair could also be in the corner created by the end of the bar and the wall. This will create a nice conversation area. My guess is that your two year old has more toys than you know what to do with. If you're not really using the bar, maybe this could be a play-alcove for your daughter. And last, I would get a console for under the TV. That cabinet door sticks out like a sore thumb. Cool scones!
  • 13 years ago
    I would take out the bar. It is taking up a lot of valuable real estate. I would put a closet or a storage unit for coats and a storage area for toys on that wall. See:
    Brady 4-Piece Double Bench Entryway System · More Info
    Teri Turan · More Info
    and
    Lullwater Renovation · More Info
    The first example is modular; you can buy pieces to fit.

    The "heater" under the TV. Does that door need to be opened when you need heat? What is it exactly?

    I would put the sofa across from the TV away from the windows. (Would be nice to have a picture for that wall, too. At the end of the sofa by the door, I would put a screen to sheild the occupants from the enty door. Something like this:
    New York City Loft · More Info
    and
    Upstaging Your Homes · More Info


    I woudl paint all the walls the same neutral color and get linen color sofas and orange print pillows like this:
    Galley style living space · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    It's difficult to make recommendations without a floor plan as I do not understand how the spaces fit together. But the one thing that shouts out to me is the short door to the heater (?) that is under the TV. I would definitely paint it the wall color and place console over it. It would still be accessible, but would not be quite as glaring, particularly if you placed something under the console in front of the door.
    Benedetta Console · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think you are going to have to decide if this is going to be a living room or a bar/game room. The space doesn't look large enough for that huge bar.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I agree with Carolyn, a floor plan would be most useful in coming up with furniture plan.
  • 13 years ago
    Hard to visualize the entire room. I also would remove the bar/utilize this space. Also would cover up utility door.