Software
Houzz Logo Print
bethdundy

HELP ! SMELLY ICELANDIC SHEEPSKIN RUG

11 years ago
I recently purchased a 7 by 9 Icelandic sheepskin rug from they United Kindom, when opening the box , and of course since its a sheep skin I expected it to have a sheep smell ,my question is will it eventually go away? and how long does the smell last? is there something I can do to get rid of the smell? because I can't have a 2000$ rug in my living room that make my house smell like a barn

Comments (12)

  • 11 years ago
    sheepskin will eventually get a little less sheep. I can barely smell some old ones. But if you object to the smell try returning it.
  • 11 years ago
    I love the rug,and I'm trying to avoid returning it, I only had it for 4 hours, but was curious if the smell will go away ,if so in how long? and is there something I can do to get rid of the smell? the company did said it was just recently tanned
  • 11 years ago
    Try sprinkling it with baking soda, waiting a few hours then vacuuming.
  • 11 years ago
    I suspect the hide was not properly tanned. Or, it got wet in shipment. Or both. Look in your area for a professional who can address whatever issue it may be. Sunlight is sometimes recommended for removing a musty odor from an animal skin rug, but you don't want to boil and bake it, either.
  • 8 years ago
    Mine arrived today and I have the same problem! It really smells like a live sheep!
  • 8 years ago

    You need to Air dry the Item , or bring it to a Furrier for DETOX

  • 5 years ago

    I just bought one today and smells horrible. Thought I would return it but it is gorgeous. The eyes and nose are at war. Wondering when the smell disappeared, if at all, for you all?

  • 5 years ago

    it may not. I've had sheep skins I've purchased from Etsy sellers with 5 star reviews from over 1000 people that have just gotten worse and eventually rotted beyond use. I use sheep skin for theater costumes very regularly. I usually have around 7 or 8 just hanging in the studio and go through probably around 20 or 30 a year so I’d like to know I’ve learned a thing or 2 after a decade of working with sheep skin. In the hopes that this will help anyone with this problem, I'll share my experience even thought his is an old thread. My #1 advice is if the seller will take it back, return it. Your A+++ grade skins will smell like lovely leather and wool shampoo. There will be no doubt you don't have a problem. A good skin than is not dyed will have a soft back with no unevenness in skin color. If your sheep skin is dyed, the back should still be fairly evenly colored though it's a little trickier since dyes sometimes leave marbling on the skin. For the purpose of this post, I’m going with natural undyed colors. if you're seeing areas that are slightly cream color, you likely don't have a top of the line skin. This is where it gets hard because those spots can either stay the same or begin to rot slowly. This will be a dry rot for the most part but once it starts to go downhill, it'll spread and take over your rug. It will also stain or leave a cheesy powdery texture on whatever surface you've left it on. This is why I will always try to return a skin if it doesn't have an even colored backing AND smells sheepy. This is a lesser quality tan. It’s either too freshly tanned (which ought not to be sold if you can smell the sheep) or the skin was various thicknesses (as they often are) and the tannery did not allow enough time for the thicker areas to tan properly. This is particularly common with the polish suppliers I’ve had. If the seller will not take back the skin, don't leave a review (good or bad yet) but get in touch with your seller immediately and stay in touch in case you do need to try and resolve this some other way. Your seller will often tell you that it's normal for them to smell. This is true to *some* degree especially after the skins have spent some time in a closed box or bag in shipping during humid seasons. To be fair to some of these sellers, the rugs are organic and volatile BUT, this smell should go away within a few days of being hung to air out in a well-ventilated and dry area. If you've already done this, generously sprinkle the skin with baking soda and repeat airing out. Think about it; when was the last time you saw a sheep rug at a specialty store and it smelled? A good tan does not smell like the animal it came from at all. it smells like leather. if airing out isn't working, the seller may recommend a wash cycle. This *may* work but be warned, it may actually make in worse and speed up the rotting process so unless. A poorly tanned skin is an organic substance on its way to decomposition. Adding water to the mix without the correct techniques can speed up rot, cause shrinkage, crinkling, etc. Washing sheep skin is an event to begin with, let alone smelly ones. At this point, you should be no more than 2 weeks past your item's arrival. My recommendation is leave a bad review and make sure other people are aware of the smell because a lot of people just assume that it's normal for a sheep skin rug to smell like sheep even if they don't like it. At this pint you've allowed the seller plenty of time to resolve the issue and you're tried to make it work. The smell is predominantly from the actual leather/ skin not the hair normally. Keep the skin dry, if the smell isn't going away and you're tired of the rug you can try looking for wool/ felt artists that can at least make use of the fleece. If the fleece is salvaged, the smell will go away with a nice wash. If you have longer haired Icelandic sheep you can often cut the hair in tidy bundles and secure tightly on one end like a ponytail and sell them online as doll hair wafts. There are art doll makers and some creature artists that will be happy to pay for the hair and you'll be able to recoup your money. I've had great luck with this second option. I hope this helps to some degree.

  • 5 years ago

    I have a HINT for you,,,,Buy scented Kitty Litter and bring it to outside sprinkle it in fur in top..also put Rosin Paper on floor and sprinkle litter it has to be a good litter with deodorizing Effect

  • 5 years ago

    Where in the HELL is all my saved Items ????? I am TIcked off Idiots

  • 5 years ago

    I can't help with the rugs that smell, but wanted to share I bought one from www.overland.com and it is beautiful with no odor. This may help people looking on this thread in the future.