Software
Houzz Logo Print
paula_brooksscavone

Shower Niche

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
My "Bathroom Pro" just told me that he doesn't recommend a shower niche. Said after a few years you have to re grout it every year because of soap as well as the grout does turn black not from mold but from a chemical reaction. So what do I use to get a shelf in the tiled shower? Help!

Comments (18)

  • 11 years ago
    Thank you so much. I really like the look of it and had my heart set on it but I am nervous because our contractor said it wasn't a good idea. I'm so confused
  • 11 years ago
    it might depend where it is in the shower too?
    Paula Brooks Scavone thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 11 years ago
    get your niche honey!! I had two put in our shower...and I put the soap in a pretty dish that then sits on a lovely piece of granite that matches the threshold of the shower. as long as you spray your shower with a mild vinegar solution weekly (AND your contractor uses good grout and seals it well) you should be just fine and dandy. hubby has his niche and I have mine. I put the shampoos, body washes into pretty pump containers,..,makes it feel so much more luxurious...it may be store brand, but it looks grand.
    Paula Brooks Scavone thanked OldGrayMare
  • 11 years ago
    My friend just remodeled her whole house. Got those niches in every bathroom. I was there yesterday and noticed all of her shampoo, soap, body wash is on the floor of every shower. She refuses to let anyone use those niches!
    Paula Brooks Scavone thanked Blue
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I had it all designed and was very excited about FINALLY having the niches in each of the bathrooms. Now I'm unsure. You save your money so that you can do something you want but then doubt sets in. I don't want to make a mistake -- after this remodel there is no room for do-overs....
  • 11 years ago
    We have a niche in our shower/tub combo with no problems for ten years. Tip: locate the niche out of the sight line from door to the bathroom to reduce look of clutter. I wish that in addition to the shower height niche, I had thought of a lower one for tub height. Good luck!
    Paula Brooks Scavone thanked kaye1951
  • 11 years ago
    We have had two niches for a year and a half and they look like new. They were built with a slight slant to drain water, we have use a metal slatted soap dish, and clean them with a grout brush when cleaning the shower. I would still have them if I had to regrout every couple years.
    Paula Brooks Scavone thanked sootsprite
  • 11 years ago
    Very timely for me. I'm going to have the niches placed away from the fixed shower head and I don't think it'll get drenched with water every time.
    Paula Brooks Scavone thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Use the TEC Power Grout. Not whatever the contractor buys in order to maximize his profit.


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    @OldGrayMare - we love using vinegar/water as a natural cleaner too. A sales rep at a tile store told us to never use it again because it destroys the grout. I'm not sure if that is true?

    @kaye1951 - what a great tip about the location. I wish we could do that; unfortunately, our shower design will end up with a clear view of the entire shower wall :(

    It will end up looking similar to this (rectangle shaped), but with tiled floor.
    http://www.fleurco.com/shower-doors/kinetik-kt-in-line.aspx

    @wsaiko - I was looking at the TEC grout too (a sales rep from a tile center recommended it). I'm going to ensure our contractor uses it!

  • 11 years ago

    Hi Paula, are you happy with the outcome? Can you share pictures? We're just starting our renovations, and I know what you mean about having doubts. So many decisions to make. It's a huge investment for sure. What is the depth of your niches?

    Paula Brooks Scavone thanked Ann
  • 11 years ago

    Ann -- yes I am super happy with the outcome. I think it was a lot of work for them to do it which is why the owner didn't want his tradesman to spend time putting one in. Thank goodness the tradesman felt I should get what I want and paying for. I will certain share pictures once I figure out how to do it and will measure both for you.

  • 11 years ago

    Hallway Bathroom and the Niche is about 3 1/2 inches deep. Sry the photos are not the best.

  • 11 years ago

    The Master bathroom niche is almost 4 inches deep. Again sorry about the photos but both bathrooms came out really nice. The other folks are right - good quality products and someone who knows how to install you won't have any problems. While I love the glass doors I should have gone with a shower curtain for the hallway as my daughter isn't as good at cleaning the glass. Go figure. lol



  • 11 years ago

    Wow, everything looks great! Please don't apologize for the quality of the pictures. I appreciate you taking the time to snap and upload them. Thanks! There is one niche above the white one. It's quite cleverly hidden at first glance as it's the same color as your tiles.

    I'm glad you decided to get them. Our contractor asked us if we wanted one and even strongly suggested it. He said for his own home, he did it later on, which is much harder to do.

    Love your color schemes as well.

    Do you find they are easy to clean and maintain? Can you tell or notice the slight incline?

  • 11 years ago
    We put a niche in 2 bathroom remodels and are now working on our 3rd. No problem an so much easier than bending over to pick up the shampoo. Our contractor suggested them
  • 11 years ago

    Pretty neat -- the first shelf is where I keep the soap razor smaller items and then the second is the shampoo conditioner body wash etc etc. They are very easy to clean and to my eye I do not notice the slight slant to them at all. Water doesn't reside in it at all. When you think about it you have grout everywhere it's not going to be any different than the grout in the niches to clean. I have not noticed any discoloration or mold etc. I clean with a vinegar/water cleaner and for the glass doors I use a spray bottle with dish detergent and water mixture spray and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Thanks -- I love the colors and glad I did go with the niches.