Software
Houzz Logo Print
alerievay1

Built-in beer dispenser/kegerator

11 years ago

We plan to build a buffet/bar area in the dining room, and a built-in kegerator is in the plans (we already own a freestanding kegerator and are big craft beer fans). Does anyone have recommendations for a particular brand or model? Perlick definitely seems to be one of the best, but it is about twice as much as Marvel.

Comments (5)

  • 11 years ago

    Built in ones are pretty expensive. I looked at them for my setup when I was installing in the kitchen. I ended up doing a modified unit which might not be a way you can go about it but here it goes.... I linked a youtube video of it below too if you wanna see how it looks in person.

    I had the cabinet made as a normal cabinet and then ran a cooled insulated trunk line down into my basement where I modified a flip top freezer with a temp controller. It allows me to hold 2 kegs on tap and 1 keg in storage. It was pretty simple because all we had to really do was drill a hole in the floor up through the cabinet into a hole in the countertop to hold the tower. I also was able to install a small bar sink with it that acts like a drip tray and makes cleaning WAY easier!

    Overall I think the entire cost was around 1,100 bucks, which I think was about 2,000 less than a built in one. I can get 2 beers on tap in full size kegs for big parties. I've since made some modifications to the taps (adding nicer tapper units, etc) but the basic system has been the same and working since 2010!

    If you have to go with a build in unit, I would say Perlick is a good choice but abit expensive. My friend had a stand alone summit and it wore out about a year in. I think it's really just those 3 brands for built ins. Although maybe Sub-Zero has started offering one, but I'm sure that's even more than the Perlick.

    Good luck and cheers!

    Here is a link that might be useful: Beer tap in kitchen

  • 11 years ago

    I thought about that. It didn't really make sense in our current house, but it might in the new one. It's definitely cheaper and more flexible! Thanks for the link.

    My main concern with the built-in kegerators is noise. We have a cheap Danby kegerator that is loud. I presume a Perlick would be quiet, but it's also so expensive.

  • 11 years ago

    A used fridge in the basement is a good beer cooler. Run an insulated line up stairs and install a draft arm.

    Google: Taprite. They make beer dispensing equipment and CO2 regulators.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Perlick has a variety of Beer Dispensers that all feature the same commercial-grade materials and technology that we use in bars, restaurants and stadiums around the world. With the rise of popularity in craft beer, it's increasingly important to have consistent temperature through the cabinet, as well as cool air up through the tower. We also equip all of our beer dispensers with Perlick patented forward-sealing faucets and pride ourselves on how quiet the entire Perlick portfolio is. Our C-Series is our entry model, which maybe a good fit for your project. It's a model meant to be built in, so it may be worth a look!

    Perlick C-Series Beer Dispenser Information

  • 11 years ago

    Just think about the ongoing cost or job of cleaning out your taplines if you have them run a distance. My husband owns a brewery and I was certain he would want a kegerator, so I had our kitchen designer put it in the plans for our remodel with the kegerator unit in the basement and a tap upstairs. He had it removed because he didn't want to deal with keeping the tap lines clean (or paying someone to come do it.) Instead he decided to put in some extra fridge drawers just for beer. Go figure! (Although if we had done it, probably would have been a Perlick.)