Software
Houzz Logo Print
andrewkuhn

X-Post - Please Critique My Lighting Plan!

11 years ago

GW,
Hello everyone - first time in the home decorating forum (I previously thought I wouldn't be here until later in the build process!) but another kind member asked me to post here for feedback (and a smart call it was).

I've got my electrician doing rough electrical next week and still working on perfecting the lighting layout. I didn't draw electrical outlets to somewhat clear up the pages and please ask questions if something doesn't make sense or isn't clear.

I'm also posting the elevations to help you get a feel for the overall home. Thanks in advance!

Andrew

========
A little bit about the house: 3100 sq ft, 4 Bed, 3.5 Bath, traditional style house on 3 above grade levels. Think White kitchen, dark hardwoods, lots of gray/white color scheme with marble, and lots of woodwork and trim. (Coiffured ceilings, wainscoting, etc.) The back will have a 300sq. ft. covered (but open patio with a grill (or fireplace/tv) built into a stone wall on the open side of the house.

Elevation will be using real stone veneer on front & chair rail all the way around house with ledge stone sills, and hardie straight shingle & siding in a Green/Stone/Cream/Bronze color palate.

All of that background info out of the way - here is the lighting schmatic as I have it now. All interior recessed cans will be 4" LEDs.

Exterior Elevations:
-Elevation will be using real stone veneer on front & chair rail all the way around house with ledge stone sills, and hardie straight shingle & siding in a Green/Stone/Cream/Bronze color palate:

Exterior Elevation
{{gwi:2144196}}

First Floor:
-8'3" First Floor Ceilings
-12" Large Pendants over Island (Calcutta Super White Quartzite
-6" Cans on Outdoor Patio (through double french doors)
-9 Section Coiffured Ceiling in Great Room (Center Rectangle Larger
-9 Section (Squares) Coiffured Ceiling in Library/Den

1st Floor - Version 1.1
{{gwi:2144197}}

Second Floor:
-Please ask if specific questions on lighting for 2nd Floor or drawing doesn't make sense.

2nd Floor - Version 1.1
{{gwi:2144198}}

Third Floor:
-Primarily used as Exercise / Chill space.
-6" Can in center - Vaulted Ceiling
-4" Cans in Dormers
-Stairway will not be full walls but rather a 1/2 wall or stair rail as entire space is open loft area with most likely daybed/pull out couch.

3rd Floor - Version 1.1
{{gwi:2144199}}

I really look forward to "best practices" or tips of "things I wish I would have done different" advice from experience.

Thanks in advance, this truly is the best site on the internet for those of us building/renovating homes!

Andrew

This post was edited by AndrewDK on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 18:52

Comments (9)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Hi,

    Your fireplace does not appear to have any accent lights on it. I would suggest, you use a pair of low voltage can lights to accent a painting you place over the fireplace and/or a pair or sconces (both would be nice). Of course, if you are placing a TV above the fireplace, that would necessitate a different plan. I have also seen in lighting design books, up lights used at the fireplace floor area to up light the stone.

    Carol

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    BTW, your elevation pictures look great, Andrew. Love the symmetry.

    Carol

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I just checked my lighting plan done by a lighting designer. For the fireplace, she advised two low voltage can lights (not sure the size -- I will have to double check) but likely 3 or 4 inch size). She positioned them 30 inches from the back of the fireplace stone wall. She wants them to have an elbow arm on them. We will also have a pair of sconces above the mantel (the sconces will flank a painting).

    All other can lights I believe (not including kitchen) are to be gimbel style line voltage (probably with LED bulbs in reg can housing). The can lights are to be set about 24 inches away from the walls with the intention of directing the light off a wall and providing indirect light bounced off a wall (it will also light any art on that wall). No downward directed can lights will be used in main rooms (except kitchen).

    The kitchen can lights are a bit different. They were recommended to be set 10 inches in from the edge of the counter (we don't have many uppers though).

    We have replaced many can light in the original plan with fixtures or sconces.

    Carol

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Bumping this up in hope of more guidance for the OP.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Carol,

    Thanks for the post. I was away on business for the past couple days and just now catching up. I actually nixed 2 lights that were originally above the mantel because unfortunately we have no other choice but to put the TV above the fireplace. The architect gave us a curse/blessing in that we have a ton of windows for natural light but at the same time we now have no walls to hang things on like TVs, etc.

    Andrew

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Andrew,

    Yes a TV over a fireplace does change the lighting. You might still consider some up lights installed in the floor or hearth ( if you have one). A pair of uplights would be positioned on either side of the fireplace right near the stone. They look like very small circular lights. These will cast a night accent light on the stone of your fireplace, and I don't think will cast a bothersome light on the TV (although you would need to check the specs on the uplights to see the distance the light spreads). Many of those design books I posted before on one of your threads show this done.

    Carol

    P.S. I assume you noticed I started a new thread in the lighting forum on lighting controls? I definitely will benefit from your wisdom on that subject.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    duplicate

    This post was edited by OntarioMom on Sat, Feb 7, 15 at 20:13

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I wouldn't use low-voltage cans anywhere you plan to use LEDs. Low voltage (12V) lighting yields slightly whiter light when used with halogen light bulbs, but has no advantages with LEDs and will drive up costs with transformers and special dimmers. The best LED bulbs give off light that's about as high quality as halogen or incandescents do, and of course use much less electricity and last longer.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Good points lee675. The designer for our project specified two low voltage can lights on the fireplace because she stated you can get a much narrower beam (aperature diameter) in low voltage that she felt was better for accenting the art over the fireplace. Is there an option to get a very narrow beam/small aperature with an LED?

    Carol

    This post was edited by OntarioMom on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 9:10