Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19717334

Wanted: Sassafras seedlings

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Friend and I are seeking small sassafras seedlings in exchange for SASE or trade. I have a few mints (who doesn't?), can get cuttings of light-pink flowering currant, golden euonymous, forsythia, smaller suckers of double-white lilac, cuttings of hydrangea (blue or purple, mostly), various violets (odora, or local native yellows, orbiculata or glabella), or just ask, it might be something either of us has. Also, I can gather wild plants (non-endangered) from Washington and Idaho. Sitka valerian, polemonium, wild columbine, mugwort, wormwood, etc)

Comments (20)

  • 11 years ago

    Well, apparently there is no way to edit a post anymore, nor remove, and I must say I do NOT like the changes made to this site. I did not realize you could no longer trade wild-gathered plants, so, I guess my entire post is not viable.


  • 11 years ago

    Why can't we trade wild gathered plants? I would love some Valerian and/or columbine !! my last trip West I was lucky enough to bring home sage. and does it ever smell wonderful w a smudge.


  • 11 years ago

    Which kind of sage? Like, sagebrush (not a true sage)? I came across the bridge from Clarkston, WA, to Lewiston, ID and got pulled over for speeding (keeping up with traffic), with my back seat FULL of sage. Cop walks up to the car, "Ma'am, do you know why I....what is that?" LOL Told him we use this as smudge, as well, and a tea for colds and flu.

    I guess there are new rules you're not allowed to trade wild plants. I almost couldn't find the valerian last time, because I was up in the Blue Mountains past bloom time. Luckily, the columbines were still blooming. Used to find camas up there, but haven't seen in a few years now, nor along I-5, like it all just disappeared at the same time...odd.


  • 11 years ago

    The problem (for me) with sassafras is taking enough root. It is a colony tree growing from rhizomes.

    It is localized but not rare.

  • 11 years ago

    I looked up taking cuttings, and it suggested getting seedlings instead, as it's hard to root cuttings.

  • 11 years ago

    I'm not sure (and they removed my bust from the Dan'l Webster reference hall) that there IS set-seed for sassarfras. Keep me posted on what you find out.

  • 11 years ago

    Well, look around and you shall receive... FW Schumacher lists seed, [i]and[/i] notes it needs to be bought in late summer (FWIW tree seeds and drying tree seeds is very common).

    I think we both missed the boat this year, stay tuned.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Saw one for 10 bux at tnnursery dot net. Don't know if it's legit but I want one too.

  • 11 years ago

    cherokee34

    would so like to stay in touch....wow....keep wild gathering & let me help u out w/ that as often as i can.

    yo cherokee cuz in toledo OH/God Bless

  • 11 years ago

    I have sassafras I need to dig up. Would love to trade. Kathy5472265@yahoo.com

  • 11 years ago

    What are you looking for?


  • 11 years ago

    I will check and see if mine has any seedlings. I usually just rip them out so I only keep a few larger trees.


  • 11 years ago

    Kewl. Kathy sent some, and they died, but at least one has come back from the root, and the ones I gave my friend (I split everything with her) even came back after her goats ate them!

  • 11 years ago

    hey cherokee34, holla back. ASAP, am definitely in need of a couple sassafras starts still. Kewl

    God bless & thanks,

    cherokee cuz Toledo, oh

  • 11 years ago

    Hi mr. Michael Jeffries,

    could i still grab a couple starts just about now .

    God bless ya & thankx

    o woodard

  • 10 years ago

    I will check tomorrow ;-)

  • 10 years ago

    Hi mr. Michael,

    Would still b interested in a couple starts.

    God bless& thanks Again,

    O. Woodard

  • 10 years ago

    The ones I kept sent up little shoots from the bottom, now just hoping they survived the winter. My friend's...well, her goats got out and ate them.

  • 9 years ago

    Looking again this year, we had some pretty hard freezes, and I don't think my survivor from last year is coming back. Also looking for paw paw, small ginseng rootlets, mayapple, etc. But please let me know what you want, so we can send them out about the same time. Kathy sent me some plants, and I haven't heard from her since, via e-mail, etc, and I had plants set to go, now they're just sitting in their poor little pots, "What did I do?". I could divide some of my valeriana sitchensis that I got in the Blue Mountains, or find more columbine this year, there are wild mallows in the mountains all over the place. Been trying to find small seedlings of the wild hazelnuts, or small black thimbleberry plants (the only ones I find are HUGE and very spiny). SO much to find, and I still have flowering currant (pale pink---about 45 rooted cuttings from last year), white lilac suckers, a couple forsythias, loads of thyme and broadleaf (Bergaarten) sage, etc, etc, etc.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner