Software
Houzz Logo Print
tomprairie

Front landscape!

11 years ago
Calling all landscape lovers! New roof, gutters, and siding, but clearly in DESPERATE need of curb appeal. (Please ignore the hideous winter lawn.) Open for all opinions!

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Add a pergola and create a patio over the whole inset area, cut back the red bushes, add shrubs, deepen the beds for more flowers. plant things like mums that have late flowers too. did you add the brown board or the white?

    i would get some grading done too, eliminate some of the hill you have going on there.



  • 11 years ago

    heirloom iris, lilies, peonies, butterfly bush, a nice birdbath, a trellis between the windows with morning glories or heirloom roses

  • 11 years ago
    At a quick glance, I thought your front door was just a window. I think you might benefit from drawing attention to the main door - paint, lighting, walkway, potted plants, etc. Your front lawn looks to be pretty expansive - I would recommend adding an 'island' garden, anchored with a small ornamental tree. Have fun. You have a very nice house.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    First ask yourself how much you enjoy gardening and how much time you can reasonable devote to it.

    Then, move those meatballs.

    Put something in that space beside the front door and a box or something to soften the corners and those right angle corners.

    Large pots can be your friends.

    I think I am seeing a dormant Bermuda lawn, so southern or semi-southern?

  • 11 years ago

    Lovely home and front yard to start with! Have fun with it. Making a path to the front door is key, along with a brightly colored door. Red? Don't make it a straight path, rather have a little curve to it. That makes it more inviting. Once that's in, then decide on more plantings. Take it step by step.

  • 11 years ago
    Excellent ideas all! My thoughts are brewing. Paula, we are in Kentucky. I laughed out loud at the meatball comment. Love the honesty!
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    so is there white siding or not?


  • 11 years ago
    Flair lighting, yes, the white siding is new Hardieboard siding in SW Sedate Gray. I can't say I'm in love with the new look. Roof and gutters yes. Maybe it's the paint color? Anyway, I love the pergola idea!
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Keep them Dottie, just not right there:)

    My daughter has a similar situation in front of her house with areas that need larger plants and then windows. She did something that I thought was pretty clever. She got three huge planters. In one there is a Japanese Maple and in the other two are Blue Spruce.

    She likes the look of the full size Spruce while they are small, but they only stay small two seasons or so.

    This fall she took out the ones she had and replanted them in the yard and replaced them with small ones again.

    No digging up or trying to keep a plant in a spot that it will outgrow permanently.

    For some, cutting down a beautiful plant that you have nurtured for years because it has outgrown its spot is difficult and sad.


  • 11 years ago
    Good looking house! Consider replacing your light fixtures with more visible ones - bigger and black. I cannot quit laughing about meatballs. I have enough of those in my yard to feed a football team! :-)