Software
Houzz Logo Print
wbrown427

dining room chairs

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Need to pick a color to paint my current chairs. Not sure what way to go? they are blue right now and I feel that there is to

much blue in this room. Do I do a cream, a gray to match the farm table or something totally unexpected and crazy like a tangerine color lime green, black or something else?

Comments (61)

  • 11 years ago
    I would do the mandarin red or other bold color and then look for other ways to incorporate pops of that color in the room -- some art on the wall and bright, chunky colorful candle holders. You might also think about moving the candles off the buffet onto the table and then putting some bold colored buffet lamps on the buffet if there is an outlet behind. I like the red coffee table in the other room. That color might be good inspiration for the dining room as well.
  • 11 years ago

    i was struggling to find the right yellow for my dining chairs....now you got me thinking tangerine....might have to copycat you :)

    can you hurry up and paint em so i can see what they look like lol.


  • 11 years ago
    Black will make it classy, a Chinese red will make it funky....either are awesome! But black may be your best choice...then you aren't constrained in your accent colors.
  • 11 years ago

    Maybe black or lavender or maybe soft gray and if you want to get fun maybe like stripes or polka dots. Even seat cushions with that design


  • 11 years ago


  • 11 years ago

    In the pic I see a dog. So cute!


  • 11 years ago

    OK guys work in progress! SO MUCH WORK to paint them by hand! lol anyway i went with the high gloss mandarin red BM - I gotta say it has soooooo brightened up the space already. not done yet but wanted to show it as work in progress. What do you think? The orange seems to work great with the blue? Now remember the room is a mess now :( but hopefully this will be the trick. this is such a cool platform- What do you think and try to picture it all done with all four done?


  • 11 years ago

    Love it!

    wbrown427 thanked indomom
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Hand finishing will give a better and a more interesting finish.

  • 11 years ago

    Looks great!

  • 11 years ago

    MS colours. ? i am hand finishing if you mean with a paint brush ? and it is soooo much work. i am pooped already and did only one.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I mean with a paint brush that's the way we finish our custom work.

  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • 11 years ago

    Wow! You don't know the meaning of procrastination, do you? Congrats on getting started -- the colour you chose looks amazing!

  • 11 years ago

    Are you changing the upholstered chairs as well?


  • 11 years ago

    AARRGGH ITS SO AWESOME IT HURTS


  • 11 years ago
    Am getting a feeling all four chairs might be a bit too much....
    Will change to a more playful ambience rather than sophisticated eclectic...
    Like in your living just the centre table red is looking great....

    Also might need to bring in orange somewhere in the wall to balance it
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Before and after with a little pop of orange

  • 11 years ago
    I think u did a great job with chair color. I like that u added the slip covered chairs Bc that helps the flow around the table. Before the gray end chairs looked too big, now they blend more. Also Bc the wallpaper makes a big statement, I think (if u can) it would be nice to have a chunkier more substantial mirror above blue buffet. Perhaps a chunky wood framed mirror painted gray. Looking great tho and u have a good eye
    wbrown427 thanked momt
  • 11 years ago
    Adding that chunkier piece would also help ground the room
  • 11 years ago
    Despite all the orange comments, I think it will actually throw it off with the other chairs and the wallpaper. Surprisingly, I think purple might work to liven up the room.
  • 11 years ago
    Just a thought...2 Orange chairs on one side & bench seating on other side....
  • 11 years ago

    Oh, I'm kinda disappointed...I was finally warming up to the orange idea and was so excited to see all four chairs painted. I can't explain why, but something looks off with just two orange chairs and the white slipcovered ones.

  • 11 years ago

    I'd like to see some art above the buffet that brings in the orange and gray. Good compromise to use the slipcovers for a while and see whether you feel like tackling the other chairs later.

  • 11 years ago

    What's happening with your dining room? Did you decide on just two orange chairs?

  • 11 years ago

    Hey guys! the orange was a total flop! My husband and family hated it! lol so went out and purchased new black chairs and did some configuring. what do you think? i am loving it but would love your feedback! :)

    Before:

    After:


  • 11 years ago
    Beautiful!
  • 11 years ago
    SO much better! If you really liked the orange color, why not try something on the table with an arrangement? Maybe some tulips in a bowl. It's a large table and can stand something rather large. Just sayin' .... Also, I do like the mirror on the wall between the sconces but now the sconces look a wee bit puny, particularly against the wallpaper. Have you thought about something a bit larger to replace them? Right idea, wrong size... Or maybe the mirror belongs on another wall in a different configuration and then you could replace it with a large painting between the larger sconces on that wall??? Does that help?
  • 11 years ago

    oh man! i LOVED the orange! but the new look is gorgeous too, just different. how bout just two wee orange lumbar pillows on the two big end chairs? :}


    wbrown427 thanked toats
  • 11 years ago

    it is a beautiful room, you did an amazing job!


  • 11 years ago

    Wow, love your new chairs! Wonderful transformation! So elegant...enjoy your new dining room :-)

  • 11 years ago

    OMG! Love it!

  • 11 years ago
    Gray would work. Then put cushion seats in a gray/blue fabric.
  • 11 years ago
    I put a silver sunburst mirror on side wall. Just to break up,so much wall paper. Hang low go 36" potted plants to corners would add texture.
  • 11 years ago
    Just saw your post . On painting orange. Looks good. Now use that as a accent in a print like chevron in Orange and cream, pillows. On end chairs,
  • 11 years ago
    I really like the slip covers.
  • 11 years ago
    Sorry about posting before reading all comments. I see you have moved forward. Like black and white chairs. I would paint your chest a orange and hang art. Over it.
  • 11 years ago

    I think the chest would look great painted orange and the orange lumbar pillows on the end chairs!

  • 11 years ago

    The wallpaper worked when you had the shabby chic vibe going on. Now, to be honest, I'm not crazy about the delicate blue flowers with the heavy black chairs. Just my opinion. I could be wrong!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    If you are daring you could have chairs of different colours ....this idea perhaps :)

    Bahamas Beach Shack · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Lattice Light Green Trellis Wallpaper, Bolt · More Info

    And for the walls this one

    Geometric Printed Cotton Felix Rug , Apple Green and Ivory, Apple Green / Ivory, · More Info

  • 11 years ago
    What you've done is beautiful and elegant. Love it!
  • 11 years ago

    Agree it is beautiful...wouldn't change a thing! Personally, I think your room is complete.

  • 11 years ago
    Off topic, but I am looking for a chandelier just like yours! Where is it from?
  • 11 years ago

    I just noticed your new chairs :)

    They are perfect .

  • 11 years ago

    I am with your husband and family. I hated the orange. Too much with the wallpaper.


  • 11 years ago
    Somehow feeling like 2 styles blended in...& is begging to be inclined more towards one for identity..
    The chairs wainscotting & table lamps looks sober contemporary ish classy
    while The wallpaper, chandelier, chest,table incline towards rustic
    Country..
    I guess you need to decide on the look you want to achieve first or that matches the rest of your house.
  • 11 years ago
    Also feel the oval shape of chairs looks a bit too feminine for the space especially with robust host chairs & sturdy table, chest.
  • 11 years ago

    How about hanging that grill you now have resting on your buffet on the opposite wall. Add loads of photos framed in black, dark wood, and white washed frames. Add antler sconces or accents to the buffet.

    Do a more traditional chair for each end of the table - maybe something like this Cassett Armchair from Ethan Allen. You can use various fabrics to customize it. I would use a white wash wood and then pick up blue and white. Maybe a stripe on the front and the back a pattern similar to your wallpaper.

    Your side chairs could go back to black OR white and use the same colors for the seat covers as on the end chairs - maybe mix the patterns.

    Love orange? So do I! Add it as a fun accent on the table. Flowers, chargers, in a pattern on the plates, etc.