Software
Houzz Logo Print
susy_oviedo

Metal Fencing

11 years ago
This is not my fence, but I want one like it. Can anyone tell me if it has a specific name? I'm thinking it is custom, but I don't know the homeowner and I'd feel weird knocking on their door asking about their fence.

I'm in Tucson, AZ. Thanks!

Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    well, since you've already stood outside taking a picture...

    there is a house about a half mile from us that we love the color of. one day i saw the owner outside so i dashed over and asked what color it was. he looked pretty surprised but told us it was hardy board (sp).

    so. you cant know til you ask.

  • 11 years ago
    @nnigrt: my fiancé took the picture and I was nonchalantly whistling pretending I didn't know him! Lol, I'll keep walking past in the hopes of meeting the homeowner :)
  • 11 years ago

    Just go knock on the door and ask them! They will be flattered that you like it enough to ask.

  • 11 years ago

    But why? It's rather clunky and overbuilt looking. If you used wood 2x2s instead of the metal, you'd have a much nicer fence.


  • 11 years ago

    Love it. ask and let us know

  • 11 years ago
    if you live in the country this is def. a good idea!

    if you live in the suburbs or the city please stick to a white fence.
  • 11 years ago

    That is good solid fence. Great for keeping predators from eating your livestock

  • 11 years ago
    @wweeaahh can you please explain your reasoning? I live in an eclectic city in the Southwest and white fences usually don't stay white for long here.
  • 11 years ago

    knock on the door and ask. I have a similar situation so I'll do it if you do ; )

    Susy Oviedo thanked Cath
  • 11 years ago

    I think it is a very interesting fence anywhere. look at this one I like too

    debora carl landscape design · More Info
    debora carl landscape design · More Info


    Susy Oviedo thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    It is hard to tell (he should have taken more pictures and closer up!) However, it looks like zinc guttering that has been nailed alternate sides to posts. That might be a bit $$$.


    But I agree with the others. I would go around with a bunch of flowers or chocolates, and explain you love their fence and ask how they did it. Flattery gets you quite far!

    Susy Oviedo thanked ASVInteriors
  • 11 years ago

    I also live in Tucson, and I had never seen this kind of fencing/wall until I moved here almost 2 years ago. I absolutely LOVE this look, and I find that it fits right in to most of the neighborhoods, including my mid-town home. What looks totally out of place are pretty white wood fences and green lawns! And the best part is that this corrugated metal looks even better as it ages and rusts (see attached example). I too am very shy, and would hesitate to knock on a strangers door, even to compliment their taste. Good thing I have a husband who has no such reservations!

    Susy Oviedo thanked mandjdai
  • 11 years ago

    I love it @mandjdai! Exactly what I was thinking-- the quinessential "white pickett fence" is NOT Tucson, and I wouldn't want it to be, LOL!

  • 11 years ago

    agree with fences, like the rest of design have to belong in the environment. There are also examples of metal fences with cor-ten which are awesome. picket fences are great for colonials, cape cops and cottages.


    Steel wall and Fire Pit · More Info
    Urban Townhouse · More Info
    selected works · More Info
    Portfolio · More Info
    Garnet Residence · More Info
    Cor-Ten Cattails Sculptural Fence · More Info


    Susy Oviedo thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago

    Love the visual impact of the cor-ten cat tails...

  • 11 years ago

    Suzy, if you're that shy, you could leave a card in the mailbox with your number or email info. It is a cool fence- simple construction. Try bringing the picture to a big box store and asking for some ideas.

    Susy Oviedo thanked brickln
  • 11 years ago

    The post and rail fence you like is just constructed from standard steel square posts with galvanized steel 'top hat' battens (or 'purlins') as rails. You should be able to buy the top hat battens in approx 20 foot lengths at any steel supplier. They are mainly used by Roofing contractors over rafters at about a 2 - 3 foot spacing to screw iron roof sheeting onto and they come in different thicknesses and sizes . Just concrete in a steel post and screw the battens onto it with hex head self drilling metal screws. Basically you can build the whole thing yourself with a cordless drill or impact driver and a box of screws once you have the posts in.

    Susy Oviedo thanked bobs62
  • 10 years ago

    great job bob62! outstanding!!!


Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations