Software
Houzz Logo Print
maduffy

Help with Living Room design!

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

We recently moved and I can't figure out what to do with this living room! I am not liking the wall color or furniture arrangement. And, as you can see, I need help with wall hangings. I feel like the room has a lot of potential. Would love ideas on wall color, decor, etc.

Living Room · More Info
Living Room · More Info
Living Room · More Info


Comments (19)

  • 11 years ago

    What's on the other side of the fireplace? Is that the dining area? Can you take some more pictures from over there so we can see the room in context?

    I would find some nice large pictures or other art work to go on the walls. Find things that reflect your interests as that will bring your personality into the room.

    I would also look for either a coffee table or a couple of end tables, a floor lamp and if you think you need it, an area rug to anchor the space together. And everyone is going to say how horrible glider rockers are. I totally disagree. I've had one in my living room for at least 17 years, and love it as it fits me perfectly. You can't be too big and fit comfortably in them, but they're great chairs for smaller women.


    Winsome Genoa Rectangular Coffee Table in Dark Espresso · More Info
    Valenzano Cocktail Table · More Info


    maduffy thanked hayleydaniels
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I updated the posting to include the other side of the room, which looks through to the kitchen and family room, both of which are blue. I am not tied to any of the furniture in the room - besides the piano. I'm very open to the idea of new furniture. I think smaller scale furniture would probably be best.

    I feel like I'm blanking on art work because I've already decorated the family room and used the artwork I really love in that room.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    This room has massive potential. I think the space doesn't feel comfortable for you as the furniture isn't in a functional layout. For the biggest impact I'd recommend painting the ceiling trim, door trim, door & window trim in a glossy white. I'd also move the sofas away from the walls and have them facing each other, in front of that lovely fireplace that should be your room's focus. Will you be watching TV in this space? if so I'd have it wall mounted above the fireplace. I'd also move the organ to the wall that has the door in place of the sofa next to the book case. I'd leave the rocker where it is, or between the organ and bookcase facing the window to utilise the light coming through. I'd then hang a large rectangular mirror on the wall opposite the fireplace, with either a buffet or console beneath. And then decor wise I'd really dress up that fireplace, maybe a large potted plant to the left, a stack of chopped wood on the right and some simple trinkets on the mantle. Definitely have art hung above the organ, just be selective!

    Of course not having seen the opposite side of the room I'm not sure if this layout is completely feasible but it may be a good start :)

    If this has helped you at all I would love to hear from you, wish you all the best!

    Crystal Amesbury | Interior Designer

    maduffy thanked Crystal Amesbury Creative
  • 11 years ago

    Love the color of your couches.

    - take those curtains down. they are too flimsy.

    - sofa in front of fireplace.

    - get 2 chairs to out to the sides.

    - piano by the window.

    - take out the giant black thing. what is it?

    - trim in white


    maduffy thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago

    I looks like a very nice living room. Have you ever thought of putting in solid flooring

    like bamboo, laminate or hardwood? If you want to bring some warmth to the room try a wall color such as a compatible gold or yellow. If this is too much, try an accent wall. Pull the furniture away from the walls and make a nice conversational seating arrangement in front of the fireplace. Since you are open to new furniture, you can get a nice sectional that will work well with the room. You can put the piano where the sofa is by the window with some additional curved back chairs for a music enjoyment area. There is absolutely beautiful lighting on sites like Pinterest and Ebay.

    maduffy thanked kimnobia55
  • 11 years ago

    First, get the basic room in order. I'd take up the carpet. You may have hardwood underneath. Paint the ceiling white, and the crown molding the same color and finish. This will call less attention to the low ceiling. You can pick out a nice color for the walls that will work with your red sofas. Maybe a slate grey-blue, or a deep rusty Moroccan orange. Cluster the upholstered furniture around the fireplace on an area rug with a big square ottoman in the middle, or some Moroccan leather pouffes if you want to go that route. Don't put any sofas against the walls. Pay attention to the harmony of the curtains and cushions on the sofa. Don't get too matchy, but make sure they blend, colorwise.


    maduffy thanked keenplanner
  • 11 years ago

    move the furniture away from the walls and set up around fireplace. I would also remove the rug and, hopefully you will have hardwood but if you don't and can't afford now you can totally update the room with a new rug, neutral but warmer than what is there.


    maduffy thanked dalymal
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    You can use one large sized print a couple med-large three medium or a grouping of smaller print/photos..... Just don't hang them too low (6'-8" above the back of the sofa) or too close to the ceiling :-)

    maduffy thanked Stamps Design Services
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    1.You can choose the color for your walls in coordination with your fireplace. 2. It would be nice to arrange your furniture around the fireplace. 3. Add some side tables and lamps to create a cosy atmosphere. 4. Also, some wall artwork will add personality to your décor. 5. Don't forget to provide a smooth traffic flow in your living room. 6. Have fun!

    Some idea for decorating a fireplace.


    maduffy thanked lrusavskaya
  • 11 years ago

    For some of us, it takes a long time to get used to not shoving all the furniture up against the walls! Have you tried sofa and chairs in an arrangement in front of the fireplace? Psychologically, it's considered more comfortable for people to sit where their backs are protected (like against a wall), so if that proved to be a problem, you could try putting a folding screen or large plants behind the couch/chairs...


  • 11 years ago

    Layout idea. Not to scale.


    maduffy thanked lrusavskaya
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A new furniture arrangement will make all the difference. Place the couch and loveseat opposite each other on either side of the fireplace. This will create a conversation grouping and still allow you to move about the room. You can use the matching ottoman as a coffee table or place it against the wall where the black cabinet is for additional seating when needed. The black cabinet needs to go in another room and a plant can be placed in the corner to add some life and a colorful piece of art hung on the wall. Place the piano on the wall where the sofa sits now. The natural light from the window will make it easy to see the keys and sheet music. I would add a colorful cushion to the piano bench to bring some color to that side of the room. A nice gallery wall grouping of family photos, framed sheet music etc hung above the piano will add a personal touch to the room. I would reverse the paint colors on the wall and paint the molding a crisp and glossy white with a warm beige on the walls to provide a neutral backdrop to your strong colors. Remove the drapery panels and replace them with shutters or woven wood blinds that can be raised and lowered as needed. If you like drapery panels then replace the red ones with something neutral and hand the rod just under the molding. A grouping of colorful artwork can be hung on the wall where the piano sits now and reflected by the mirror hung above the fireplace mantel. Pretty accessories and accent pillows and you have a comfortable and inviting room without spending much money, if any. Have fun!

    maduffy thanked DH Design
  • 11 years ago

    THANK YOU all for your comments and suggestions! You've really helped get my wheels turning. Excited to start the transformation!

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Bright white trim boards, consider replacing your baseboards with wider boards. The crown boards are beautiful, just paint white. Light color couch and curtain

  • 11 years ago

    I was going to suggest the arrangement thatlrusavskaya

    has drawn. Especially, the piano backed up to the back of the sofa. What a great dual purpose it can serve there: piano and sofa table. Right now, you have a "dance floor" in the middle of the room with all the furniture pushed up against the walls. Don't do that :-)

    lrusavskaya's layout will work well whether you keep your current furniture or buy replacements. Then have fun accessorizing with the tips you've gotten in these replies! Oh, and someone mentioned the "big black thing". If you need it for storage in that room, maybe paint it. It's rather "light-sucking" in its present state.

    Where does that door go that's in the corner? If there's room for it, a pretty screen in front of it would make it look less awkward. Just to the left of where she (lrusavskaya) has the vase or art.

  • 11 years ago

    Great ideas above—place the furniture in front of the fireplace. Your drapes will look so much richer if you use fabric approx 3x the width of the window—they will still look full when drawn. If you add a few more inches to the width of the rod you won't see the window light peaking though on the sides and that will add a luxurious affect as well. If you would like to add a bit of height to the room raise the rod closer to the ceiling. If you can swing it you might consider a few faux ceiling beams. They are super easy to install would add some texture and warmth to the room. I love lrusavskaya's mantel decor. I think every room needs a living room needs a living plant. I'd try a large one, maybe a fiddle leaf in the corner where the tall book case is. Maybe you could move the bookcase to the wall where the couch is. If you could find another to place right next to it you'd have a pretty substantial wall unit. Have fun!

  • 11 years ago

    Bookcase right of fp. Pics when done!

  • 11 years ago

    your room and furniture are very similar to mine. I think you should paint the crown moulding white. my walls are valspar smoked oyster 6005-1c, I love the color. red is a great color for holiday decorating. I agree with most everyone you need to change places with your sofa and piano. The piano on that wall makes it a secondary focal point in the room. plus the seating needs to be focused on the main focal point (the fireplace). bring in some more red in a large scale painting above the fireplace. raise the curtain rod to just below the crown and extend the rods past the window so that when open they just cover the window trim, you'll get the most light that way