Software
Houzz Logo Print
1matilde

I want to remodel fireplace!

13 years ago
I want to remodel my whole living room i have a stone fireplace wall but i don't know what i can do to it I don't want to remove the stone/rock but i want to paint it or do something different to it. I also want to add some crown molding to the walls, any suggestions?

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    Hi,I think if you had different flooring, the stone fireplace wall would be ok. I 'think a hard stone looking floor with a stone wall if just too much brown and a "" Hard look"'/ it is all a bit beige. The actually fireplace looks "'Low" and looks like it would benefit from being made more of a feature with a surround/mantlepiece etc. what is meant to go in the gap in the wall? The tv? If this place was mine I might put some identical plants on the raised step to soften the brickwprk
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    An option would be to stucco the stone then you will have a textured surface. You can paint it the same color as the wall or use it as an accent wall.a mantle would deffinitely help.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    So much stone. How about some art tile. Please see my Houzz photo examples.
  • 13 years ago
    i know, I would want to do hardwood floor, I love the way wood floor looks. But the tile is the same all over the house and bathrooms we have a open floor plan so if i changed the floor it would have to be to the entire house which is more work than i would like to do, also we just put in the tile 4 years ago so its not an option.
    I would like to paint the stone or something, I would want to change the beige coloring to a blue and the stone like dark gray but Im scared i normally stick to just plain neutral colors i just started wanting more color. But i think if i paint the stone it might mess it up.
    In the gap we have a 60" TV with an entertaining center at the bottom
  • 13 years ago
    ARD, stucco? thats an option thank you. Originally it was suppose to be an accent wall, we thought about the mantel but never decided on a finish that would match, everything
  • 13 years ago
    I woud keep the flooring and remove the entire stone wall. Design a new fireplace surround that is a lot smaller but still goes up from floor to ceiling.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    From the photo it looks like a painted mantle would go good.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, please paint the FP---way too much stone-so cold looking. Off-white or charcoal... Pics for inspiration. Add a rug to soften the floor and floor to ceiling window panels--again for softness. Hope this is helpful... Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Mid-century Re-modern · More Info
    ][houzz=
    Modern Family Room · More Info
    ] http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/shalom-brothers-ik-214/brown/325IK214-609.html\
    http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-amidon-ikat-hemp-hand-knotted/natural/200KCHI10A-508.html
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hello!
    I agree with 2dogssashatess in that the stone floor and the stone fireplace are too much together.
    I feel that if the flooring was different that the fireplace could be beautiful. Have you thought about hardwood flooring? This type of flooring would also make this space warmer as well. Tile flooring is very cold to the touch at certain times of year. When I zoom on the fireplace stone, it is attractive. You could put a mantel over the fireplace box. You could put a television over that and turn the large hole into an entertainment center with glass or wood shelves. I feel that if there was a large screen television in that open space it would make your firebox feel even smaller. We want to try to visually make your firebox feel larger. In regardst to crown, once the flooring is determined, I think that the crown could be a beautiful touch. You could also increase your baseboard height and case your windows and doorways! That would be stunning!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree wholeheartedly with 2dogssashatess. Please keep the stone. If changing the floor is not an option, add a large rug to warm it up. I like the idea of adding a mantle, artwork and possibly some greenery. That may do the trick. I've seen some horrible painted stone. I love the idea of a bigger statement with your baseboards, casing and crown.
  • 13 years ago
    I think a stucco finish over the stone would be great. Perhaps pull a deeper color from the tiles and tint the stucco to add some depth. Also add some hardware to the fireplace to add more detail or maybe just a mantle.
    http://houzz.com/photos/34457
  • 13 years ago
    This is a better color of stucco I think. http://houzz.com/photos/161259
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think what you are suggesting is to sheetrock over the fireplace stone and then paint it. These photos that you have linked are paint, not stucco. One is made to look as though it is venetian plaster. The other is a textured paint process. I still feel that the stone on the wall is and can be made to be very stunning! There is just too much going on with the flooring and that stoned wall together.
    m.
  • 13 years ago
    Natalie, Thanks for the pictures i thought i could just put paint over the rock to change the color. I love them but in Both those pix the flooring is WOOD :(, I would love to do that but right now i don't think i can put wood floor all over my house. I think a rug and some Greenery would be a good idea,
    Monique Jacqueline Design, I thought about putting some shelving in the whole and the TV over the fire place but I don't even know what i would put in such a large entertaining center or book case I just had the TV, and very small simple entreating center that held the cable box and DVD player.
    I also thought about chaining the paint from beige to light blue and getting like burnt orange or dark brown leather couches and buying a rug.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes I know the floor is wood in those pics and I agree, if you can't put wood in your entire house-keep what you have and work with it. The least expensive thing you can do is to paint the stone. I like the idea of burnt orange and dark brown sofas---the light blue wall could work just so long as it has an ash undertone---think muted gray/blue/green---check it with the floor tile-since it's the most prominent thing in the room. If the color is too blue, it could end up looking green when paired with the gold hues in the tile. Good Luck and keep us posted. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Definitely don't paint the stone - I too agree with adding some nice art and a bold rug and accessories to balance all of your natural stone colors. Perhaps installing some built in shelves in the niche around what I'm assuming will be the tv there. Neutral furnishings will allow you to go as bold as you like and be able to mix it up as the seasons change or your tastes do. We live in AZ and despite our home's decidedly Spanish style, have classic black leather modern furnishings as a juxtaposition with the stone of the fireplace and the tile floors. I completed the neutral look with splashes of chartreuse, orange, and red.
  • 13 years ago
    Christi Maurer_Hoehn, Thanks for the picture. Your home looks phenomenal, I had black leather couches, I have had black couches for 10 years i just sold them because i want a change. Natalie thanks for the advice I will post an after picture this is my new year project for now we will live without a living room im giving myself a 2 months to figure it out. Im just so confused
    Thanks everyone for their help