Software
Houzz Logo Print
kaxx517

Living Room - still bare after 1 year in house, help!

11 years ago

I've been in my house for about a year-and-a-half and still need to finish my living room.

The light gray chesterfield sofa, the [coffee table[(https://www.houzz.com/products/clairemont-oval-coffee-table-prvw-vr~4796933) and the rug must stay in the room. Wall color is Silverplate by Sherwin Williams.

I need help with the following:

  • accent chairs (and where to place...I think two in between the built-in bookshelves and maybe a small chair to the left of the fireplace?)
  • console table (to replace the white bookcase)...maybe with some x-benches underneath for additional seating
  • - floor lamp (current one will go in the basement)

The couch pillows can be replaced. The artwork above the fireplace needs to be hung, and I am considering changing it out for something new to use in the spring/summer.

I like this chair and am wondering if two chairs with a small accent table can work in between the two built-in bookcases. I don't know what color to bring in...navy or off-white could work. Other chair styles I should consider?


Any other suggestions are welcome!

Comments (22)

  • 11 years ago

    No, do not get a chair that matches your sofa. The chair above is too close in style and fabric to look right with the sofa. Don't create another design dilemma.

    Kathleen thanked leelee
  • 11 years ago

    Family photos are priceless but not good for decorating. Use them in a hall gallery but not as a focal point.

  • 11 years ago
    Add two armless chairs very close side by side in window area or a branch for additional seating. Add two more functional chairs opposite the couch- I think big wing chairs could look cool- in leather if you're willing to splurge. This will balance the room out a bit.
    Kathleen thanked jtheend
  • 11 years ago
    Also, I really like your lamp and feel that the orange shade is making a nice statement in your room. It also seems to be tying in, color-wise, with your fireplace art.

    Looking at your side table a little closer, it appears to be short for the sofa arms. I'm not sure how high the sofa arms are, but your side tables should only be a couple of inches shorter than them - otherwise, it will be difficult to pick up and set down drinks. A,so, visually, they will look out of scale.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Love the chairs you are considering, and think they would look great across from your sofa with a table in between them. Love all of Karemore55's suggestions and think a bench would look and fit nicely in between the 2 built-ins. Two leather ottomans would probably fit nicely in that space, too, and would provide extra seating when needed. Restoration Hardware, Ballard Designs, and One Kings Lane have great selections of different types and different sized benches. Beautiful monochromatic room! Have fun completing it!

    Kathleen thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    I like the idea of chairs across from the sofa too. I like the style of the chairs you are considering, except for the tufting. I think with the tufted sofa, I'd choose chairs that aren't tufted. Other than that, the style is nice. I'd use the round table between the chair pair you'll be adding. I like the idea of a bench between the built in shelves. Maybe side tables and matching table lamps for each end of the sofa.

    Kathleen thanked Ann
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    first of all, blinds on windows do not work with this classic style sofa. u need proper curtains see poto

    attached

  • 11 years ago

    I agree the current white cabinet is pretty nice where it is. I like its height too. I think I'd remove everything from the top of it though.

  • 11 years ago

    how about orange?


    Kathleen thanked sacapuntaslapioz
  • 11 years ago

    Leather is out - I have a cat with claws who has already ruined a leather sofa :(

    I am worried if I put two chairs across from the couch it will look strange and block either the fireplace or the opening to the dining room. I will have to post a better pic of the full length of the room.

    I love the idea of a bench!

    karemore55 - the white cabinet and side table are just filling up space. I would consider using the side table if it worked in between two chairs, but agree it looks too short next to the couch.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I definitely do not want orange. I don't like the gray/orange combo...plus I had orange in my last living room so would like a change.

    I am not a huge fan of curtains. I have them in my dining room only. I would probably go with shutters or some other type of blind.


  • PRO
    11 years ago

    second, the painting above fireplace does not work- nice mirror will be much better. walls on both sides of the fire place are too dull u should add wallpaper in molding

    Kathleen thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    S&A - agree that a mirror would look good. Also, I like the idea of molding on sides of fireplace with sconces, but the walls are different widths. Could that still work?

  • 11 years ago
    Kathleen, if you are definitely getting rid of the white cabinet, look for something vertical. What would be the most useful to you in that spot? Can't see what is beyond, but is it your front door?
  • 11 years ago

    Hi there, I agree with the other posters that suggested another chair style that perhaps isn't tufted. Here are just a few examples of other styles you may want to consider:

    http://www.highfashionhome.com/romney-chair-light-pattern.html

    http://www.highfashionhome.com/pierce-chair-devote-cream-html.html

    http://www.highfashionhome.com/jacob-chair-turin-ivory.html



    Kathleen thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    If you want a monochromatic look that's fine but don't get the same style or texture or fabric. Any of these chairs in a light fabric would compliment without looking like a near-miss.


    Kathleen thanked leelee
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Great room and bones! I would suggest adding a wallpaper/paint or fabric to the bookshelves for a pop of color and texture - if you are not a fan of curtains - continue this look around the window. Here are some room inspirations:

    Spa & Camel Inspiration Room

    Garden Gaze Inspiration Room

    Oriental Tranquility Inspiration Room

  • 11 years ago

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far! I am going to check out the chair ideas everyone provided to try and narrow it down.

    Karemore55 - I'm not really sure what I can use in the space where the white cabinet is. The front door is to the left of it, so I was thinking a console table. But, I agree with you and others here that I like the height of the cabinet.

  • 11 years ago
    What about a console that is not a table, so that you have more bulk there? If you place a tall vertical mirror above it - and don't hang it too high above the console, so that the two pieces "connect" - you will get the same visual read as if you had put a vertical piece there.

    A console with some drawers - or even a small dresser - would be quite functional beside the front door, as would the mirror.

    I see a lamp and some nice pottery above your white cupboard - those look perfect for dressing the console.

    Showing the Martin console from Ballard Designs. It also comes in dark gray, but I wasn't able to get a good image of that one. It's 36" high and about 40" wide, yet only a foot deep, which seems pretty perfect for this spot!
    Kathleen thanked karemore55
  • 11 years ago

    For variety, I would suggest that you place the sofa so that it faces the bay window. Then, center the round, two-tiered coffee table in front of the bay window and put a colorful plant and a large picture book on it. If there is room, you might flank the table with a navy-upholstered chair on each side since you asked about using navy in a chair. You might get a sofa-type table and put it in front of the rectangular window that is between the book cases. A small plant and one or two small, framed pictures would look nice on this table. Someone suggested orange as an accent color, but you indicated you do not want orange again. I would suggest red as an accent in throw pillows and small bolster pillows for the navy chairs. If you add any flowers (real or silk), some red shades would complete the color scheme. I believe you have nice furnishings but that the furniture arrangement is what needs improvement.

  • 11 years ago
    Pretty things. I am considerng the vines rug--do you like it?
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations