Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
23meghan

House Looks Small Framed?!

23meghan
9 years ago

our home is 3200 ft.², by no means small in my opinion. The first floor is framed up, we went in to check out the rooms and the feel of it. Some of the rooms just feel so much smarter than I expected! Anyone else ever have this experience?

Comments (13)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

EVERYONE has that experience . . . but that it's okay in the long run. Things just feel small at this point in the process.

• jloglow_25
    9 years ago

I thought the exact same thing from the time our foundation was poured, then framing and now that sheetrock is up I am like this house is huge. Ours is a bit over 3000 sq ft. Its so crazy that the more things that go up inside make it look bigger. You would think it would be just the opposite. It will be fine. Good luck!!

• prj2015
    9 years ago

We had the same reaction as you. We are building an 1800 sq. ft. house so you can imagine how we felt - that doesn't look big enough!!! Once the walls went up we started getting a better feel for the space.

• Aims
    9 years ago

Completely normal!! Our house is about 2,200 sq feet and I thought it was sooo tiny! We are in the finishing stages and I so don't feel that way anymore!

• zippity1
    9 years ago

it does begin to look larger when the sheetrock goes up

• faulstr
    9 years ago

Yes! We are just a few weeks away from starting drywall so I'm anxious to see how it feels then. Some spaces feel small and others already feel spacious so I'm hoping those will feel even bigger too.

• Brenna Pearce
    9 years ago
    Thanks for input!! The kitchen feels fine, but the family room feels small. It's 18x18 which I thought would allow me to float the sectional in the middle. Now I'm thinking I might have to put against the back wall
  • bry911
    9 years ago

I think you will be fine. I am, admittedly, assuming that you are placing your sectional to view the television. Most people view their television from about 9ft away, which incidently is much farther than manufacturers recommend. THX expects that the television should be 90" at that distance, while others recommend a 65" television at 9ft. In those cases you should have plenty of room to float even a large sectional.

Your rooms should "grow" with every phase of construction. They will seem bigger with drywall, then bigger with flooring, and even bigger with furniture.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

What surprised me most was that the ceilings seemed much taller after drywall than before, despite that before drywall, you could see up into the attic. I tried to incorporate a bit more room in each of the rooms, since our old house always felt cramped. Right now (mostly done) the rooms seem a little on the big side, but I figure once the furniture is in place, things will go back to 'normal'.

• User
    9 years ago

One thing you will also enjoy, Jay, is the feeling of the house breathing, air circulating. In our remodel/addition, with whole-house reflooring, we removed most of our furniture. I'm almost ready to return the furnishings, but believe me, I want to keep this feeling of expansiveness. I'm now envisioning some tall tree-like potted plants which will have space to spread out. It is so much easier to keep the new floors clean, they are light colored wood and I can see most any debris before it causes damage to the floor. Remember to show us your photos of the completion process? Thanks.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

moccasin we felt the same when we decluttered to sell our previous home
    i look around every few days in my new home trying to figure out what i could dispose of (furniture that is) so far nothing's moving out but nothing's moving in either....

• User
    9 years ago

Good to take a breather now and then. I see things now that are trying to creep in, as my boxes come into the house with light fixtures in them, and a few pieces of artwork which I run across that I'd forgotten about. Your eye loses its sensitivity to a beloved object if it is on display too long, so I like to rotate things, or cycle them like I would Christmas ornaments. I figure as long as you are ORGANIZED and NEAT about your "stuff", it couldn't bee too much clutter underfoot.