Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Saturday

Good Saturday morning, Cottagers! Spring is definitely in the air hear - old man Winter is losing his grip, finally. Now, I just have to wait for some green stuff!!

Well, let's see - on this day in history, AGB invented the telephone; the Beatles first donned suits!! Earth-shaking stuff. Also, Janet Guthrie was born. Who is she, and why might we know her name? Maybe simple? I don't know, kinda cool and her name did ring a bell so maybe you'll know who she is.

btw, All are welcome to play, we only ask you play by the 'rules'. No googling if you want to play, and if you know the answer, please don't share it too early. Much of the fun is derived from dropping clues along the way. And I will be back with clues later. Players are welcome to drop clues as well.

Nancy.

Comments (16)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Good morning, Nancy!

Uhoh. That name does ring a bell! As I just started to write that I don't know why it rings a bell, something popped into my head. Hmmm...

Since I was off due to snow on Thursday and Friday, I have kind of a free weekend-no need to race around trying to get all the cleaning, laundry, and errands done since I did a lot on my snow days! Yippee. I can't remember the last time I had a really free, relaxing weekend.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is good, to have a relaxing weekend - I don't often get those either. Seems like I am always going in circles.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I hear you! Sitting here, I can see dust on the tables. With two big dogs, it is a constant battle. Just when I think I am done...

Oh well. Anyway, sounds like we are on the same page.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, the name Guthrie seems to be familiar, if I can only connect it to some tidbit that might be floating around in the old grey matter. I will need clues for this.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, Cynthia and I have each given a good one!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

May I rant? For the next two months, I will be doing little other than assessing my kids for their portfolios. Between No Child Left Behind, Race to the Top, etc. even my way below grade level kiddoes have to show achievement on grade level standards. Yikes. Reading and math are easier to differentiate, but science is a bear. Really, how do I show comprehension on 5th grade standards when the child's level of understanding anything is on a kindergarten level? Round and round we go indeed. Race to the top? ha.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK Annette - let's see...Guthrie was originally an aerospace engineer and after graduating from the University of Michigan, she worked with Republic Aviation. She was already a groundbreaker when she switched to this unusual (for a woman) career. It's actually not that common for men, either!!

Nancy.

9 years ago

:( nothing is twigging, I think you have me this time. Am I going to go DUH!!! once the answer is revealed. Off to the garden will check back in later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a couple of good scores yesterday - found knifovia roots (?) at the Sobey's store - unexpected. Also found something I had been looking for for a long time - a bath tub cleaner that I had had years ago. Very unexpected, in a place I never would have look, but was looking for something else and there it was - serendipity. Nothing to do with the trivia question, though.

Guthrie was one of the first elected to the International Women's Sports Hall of Fame. Does this help at all?

Nancy - who may get to Seedy Sunday tomorro

w after all!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Maybe you should take a drive, Annette. I find I do some of my best thinking in the car.

Cynthia

9 years ago

Nobody else playing today? would race car driver fit, hot or cold? I'm clutching at straws here LOL.
    Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yep, looks like it is just us again. :(

Nonetheless, I'd say we are speeding right along. How about you Nancy?

• ThinMan Z5 MI
    9 years ago

Hi you guys. I've been on vacation for the last ten days in sunny warm Florida. I'm still here for two more days and thought I'd check in to see how you are doing. I think Annette and Cynthia are right on track with their thinking on today's trivia.

I'll try to check in tomorrow too if it works out with my lazy schedule. :-)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The right track, indeed!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Hey, TM, so glad you are relaxing! Thought that might be the case.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I'd say the 3 of you got it!! We are dealing with diminishing returns though, aren't we?

Janet Guthrie (born March 7, 1938, in Iowa City, Iowa) is a retired professional race car driver and the first woman to qualify and compete in both the Indianapolis 500 and the Daytona 500. In the 1976 World 600, Guthrie finished 15th, becoming the first woman to compete in a NASCAR Winston Cup superspeedway race. Guthrie would go on to compete in four more races that season. The following season, she competed in her first Daytona 500, finishing 12th when her car's engine blew two cylinders with ten laps to go. For the race, though, she still earned the honor of Top Rookie. Overall, Guthrie went on to compete in 33 races in NASCAR over four seasons. Her highest finish, sixth place at Bristol in 1977, is the best finish by a woman in a top-tier NASCAR race, now currently tied with Danica Patrick in 2014.

So there you have it!! Here is her car, in the Smithsonian!!

Thanks to those who chimed in. It seems that not many of us are left, and I am finding it harder and harder to find questions worthy of you. If someone would like to step in or it TM, you would like to come back, I am ready and willing to step aside. Please all think about this. See you next week, for the time being.

Nancy.