Software
Houzz Logo Print
ericalym

HELP DECORATING I CANT PULL IT ALL TOGETHER

11 years ago


Comments (7)

  • 11 years ago

    Your photo doesn't really tell us what room this is but it looks like the "dining" part of a large open concept space. It would help to post a few more photos from different angles. The space looks very empty, with small items hanging out by themselves and looking lost. Use different curtains. Leave the upper, arched part of the window exposed; it's really pretty and distinctive. Get new window treatments for the part underneath the half moon, and only close them up when you need to for privacy. It's hard to tell if the table is centered on the windows but that's what I'd do. I agree with haylaydaniels, put a good size area rug underneath the table. The rug could introduce some needed color to the space, which feels very pale and neutral. If you have to move the table to center it, you'll also have to move the overhead light fixture. I'm not sure what that clock is doing there but it looks out of place. On that big blank wall, you could put a credenza or sideboard. A gallery wall over that piece might break up the space more than a large art piece; you'd have to see what works. On top of what looks like a fireplace, I'd place something with weight and presence rather than those candles and whatever is between them. Depending on where you live, you might bring in something from the natural environment that has a sculptural quality.


  • 11 years ago
    Fairly simple fixes to a room that (from this single picture) has great details.
    Lower the light fixture so it is not so far above the table.
    Remove the fabric from the absolutely gorgeous windows.
    Find a large painting that you love, and hang it about 5ft on center from the floor (it is easy to hang art too high) on the back wall behind your table.

    Now you have several ideas to play with, and I know more people will suggest even different ideas.
  • 11 years ago

    Yes, I concur with Carol and Heyley.


  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We are downsizing and have no pictures of new patio home yet. For family room I plan to keep brown leather sofa and husband's recliner. Would like to buy love seat to place across from sofa. Does it need to be the same fabric as sofa? This is all focused around fireplace. Any advice or picture ideas would be appreciated. Gloria
  • 11 years ago
    Such pretty arched windows- I'd take off curtains. Chandelier is, as observed, much too high. The artwork flanking clock could be pulled in closer. A rug would help ground table.
  • 11 years ago

    @gnfbyars: you might want to start a new thread.