Software
Houzz Logo Print
dave92653

Removing fireplace and chimney for a window wall

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

I just bought a house in Southern California that I think would be a perfect candidate for a wall of windows so we can enjoy the view. The wall in question has a fireplace with a connected chimney that travels up the side of the house and through the roof line.

I am interested in removing the fireplace, fixing the damaged stucco, and reparing the roof line. I believe that the chimney is not part of the structural integrity of the house, but cannot confirm that. I don't get the keys for another few weeks, at which time I will have someone take a closer look.

Any ideas on how much work and cost is involved in removing the fireplace? I have an idea of cost for the glass wall, but have no idea how much it will cost for demo and repair.

Also, would there be a way to remove the portion of the fireplace and chimney and support it about 12' up with some sort of footer tied into the structure of the house. I envision tieing that into some type of patio cover that would extend out onto the patio. Is the weight of the upper 2/3 of the chimney too heavy for something like this?

Any insight, ideas, and help is greatly appreciated!

Dave

(It's the chinmey in the middle of the hosue, not the one on the side)

Comments (6)

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Hi, Laura (and Dave). As a design firm we are often asked to consider removing these architectural elements--particularly in our Miami Office. There are a couple of things we look for to determine feasibility. 1) Age of home. This information provides some insight into how the fireplace may have been constructed. 2) Are there any existing drawings filed at the local building department? This is helpful for obvious reasons. 3) the exterior may be stucco finish but what type of construction is the exterior wall? Is it concrete masonry unit (CMU, aka "cinder blocks") or is it wood frame construction?

    The above are the drivers of cost/feasibility. Fireplaces that are masonry framed (not just brick veneer lined interior) are supported with a footing at the base, below grade. This makes it very difficult to simply chop out the bottom 1/3 and run a beam across to carry the load (weight) of the upper 2/3s. Feasible, but impractical--especially if windows are spanning below.

    So depending on how the fireplace was built (CMU vs Wood) you will likely have to remove all of the masonry from the top of the flue down to the floor level so you don't see the bulge of the old fireplace below the window sill. This is a costly undertaking that affects the roof and the exterior wall. I would say more than 8k of work--not including an architect and his/her structural engineer.

    JT, Registered Architect

  • 9 years ago

    I've got the same type question.

    We are putting vinyl siding on my house and found bad termite damage when they went to cover the chimney. The den area is dark so I was thinking of removing the whole chimney and adding a window.

    The house is wood frame on a slab. Chimney has Masonic siding instead of brick. Difficulty? Any idea of cost range?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    We just removed a block chimney and installed a glass wall of windows. In SoCal, chimneys are more dangerous than they are useful, so we were glad to see it go.

    The cost to replace the fireplace with a glass wall was expensive, but our glass wall is long (over 50 feet). We had to put a structural beam and a shear wall for support. I would think the cost would vary on how much glass you want, what type of windows, etc. I'd get a contractor in for a specific bid.

  • 5 years ago

    Did you complete the project? We are looking to do something similar on a poorly designed new construction.

  • last year

    Did you end your doing this? I am considering the same thing and told $8K to remove chimney.