Software
Houzz Logo Print
vivettem

Worst powder room ever

11 years ago
Need help to spruce this up cheaply! Don't mind doing diy art. Would prefer not to have to paint hAve a newborn at home. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (37)

  • 11 years ago

    There are art pieces called mural peels. Look them up on art.com

  • 11 years ago

    I'm sorry they are on a site called GreatBigCanvas.com

  • 11 years ago
    I'd get some framed art across the main wall, a new dramatic mirror (round with a detailed frame) and put a vase with flowers on the back of the toilet. Art and flowers with some colour.
  • 11 years ago
    Accessories and art work. I would do something bright like teal or red for soap dispenser, towels and a tiny cabinet or shelf over toilet. It could be a cheaply sprayed or painted with a paint sample but I know newborns leave little time DIY.
    A chrome and glass shelf between the mirror and sink to hold soap and lotion would be practical and decorative. Splurge on fancy caddy and dispensers at someplace like bath and body. Enjoy some nice smelling soap because as a new mom your only alone time can those few seconds in the potty.
  • 11 years ago
    What about some painted stripes in the same color different sheen or same color but lighter?
  • 11 years ago

    Wall decals are cool and "artful"...

    Wallpapers · More Info

  • 11 years ago

    I was just going to suggest floating shelving. You can change the whole feel of the bathroom by what you put on the shelves. No need to get tired of the decor that way. I have built in cabinets and shelves and I love changing the decor on the shelves every couple of months. Your taupe is easy to use different color combos with.


  • 11 years ago

    Some kind of shelves/shelving system over the toilet since it seems like a small
    room to add extra storage and just visually use up the space. I would
    do something with the the mirror like possibly replacing it or at least framing it (look up 'frame builder mirror'). Also I would add some sort of art or photos.

  • 11 years ago

    the color is a big problem. Could you use a no voc paint such as ben? other than that how about a mural?

    I would also do:

    frame the current mirror.just cut wood moulding and glue or nail it. paint moulding in black glossy paint.

    Get a couple of shelves and all items (especially cleaners must get off the floor (your new born will be crawling sooner than you think)



    Master Bath · More Info
    Buckingham Ave. Residence · More Info
    Portal to New York Guest Bathroom · More Info


  • 11 years ago

    can you post a picture of the light fixure? I have a feeling is a big part of the problem?

  • 11 years ago
    I prefer the first two floating shelves that do not go all the wall up wall nor do they go straight across. I showed you the last pick to compare looks. Enjoy that new baby!
  • 11 years ago
    I don't know if this is your style but I have a similar powder room and spent $40 on 7 pieces of decorative paper from an art store and covered a wall in my powder room. it made a huge impact for very little money.
  • 11 years ago
    This is the light fixture! Thanks for the ideas. Will do shelves and frame the mirror.
  • 11 years ago

    Up lighting is problematic over mirrors and it can change paint color to something quite different from the original intention. I might start with a new light.

  • 11 years ago
    I don't think it is the worst powder room but you can certainly spruce it up with some texture. Floating shelves for sure, but even behind the toilet or on larger wall, possibly adding a paintable wallpaper. You can use the same color and it will add texture. Framed artwork, fresh flowers and voila!
  • 11 years ago

    There is your problem.

    very sad looking bulbs. go for bulbs with a warm glow. before changing anything.

  • 11 years ago
    I came back to this post b/c your title 'worst bathroom ever' which is clearly an exaggeration b/c it is quite nice made me this that as a sleep deprived mom with a newborn with crazy hormones you may want to step back and relax! I say this with sisterhood and empathy as a mom.
  • 11 years ago
    I think of small bathrooms as a great opportunity to create a beautiful powder room that feels like a private jewel box inside the home. Find a luscious wallpaper that you love, replace the mirror with a beautiful one you love, add floating shelves over the commode, roll up a few fluffy hand towels, and put an orchid somewhere in the mix. It'll go from "worst bathroom" to a place that makes you go, "Ahhh!"

    Might also replace the toilet holder with one that has a plate that partially conceals the roll. And get a sleek, stainless steel holder for the bathroom brush. You can find those at Home Goods.
  • 11 years ago

    It's a small bath room this is where I would get a wonderful wall paper, smaller room less paper needed, and put in a fantastic light fixture.

  • 11 years ago
    I also love the idea of floating shelves the other posters gave!
  • 11 years ago
    I love the shelf idea with baskets for storage. Here's a cute diy art idea using scrapbook paper, canvases or frames and decoupage glue. You can make them to the exact size needed whether doing small art for the shelves or something bigger for the wall. There are so many gorgeous scrapbook paper designs to choose from.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Wallpaper is perfect for boring spaces. There a lot of dimensional ones like Maya Romanoff. Try a mural wallcovering also. I create unusual vanities made to fit the space. I use a mantle clock backsplash (below) to give the tiny wall some interest. It pairs well with a round mirror. Don't be afraid to go crazy in a small space. This powder room is different from yours, but I used 3 wallpapers: a floral and a stripe on the walls, plus another coordinating pattern on the ceilings. I faux finished the vanity.

    Bathrooms · More Info


  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    In a powder room I prefer the up lighting, way more flattering for your guests. If you did decide on down lighting just take the light fixture off and turn it the other way. Keep things simple for yourself, you have enough on your plate. At some future date you can think about painting or a mural. Finding someone to do the mural may be a challenge but if you do a mural can be wonderful. floating shelves are a great idea. Your wall color is very versatile so I'd leave it.

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    PLEASE change bulbs before doing anything else. the light is horrible

  • 11 years ago
    I understand about uplighting, but that light fixture really looks upside down to me. I would just try flipping it and different bulbs to begin with.
  • 11 years ago

    most of them an be installed either way

  • 11 years ago
    For the simplest change remove the plate glass mirror and add a beveled vertical mirror with a black frame and hang black and white framed art on the other walls. Interesting architectural prints work. With a small powder room, consider ramping up the style with wallpaper. Something in taupe, silver and black in an attractive geometric pattern with the black mirror would be interesting and attractive. Do something unexpected.
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I've decided to do wallpaper on the back with floating shelves and pics in the wall Do you think the bulk head would make it look weird if just wallpaper on the back wall? Or should j wallpaper the bulkhead too?
  • 11 years ago

    I would say don't wallpaper the bulkhead because it might visually make it stick out even more, but I'm not fully certain about that.


  • 11 years ago

    just back wall


  • 11 years ago
    Have a look at seagrass wallpaper for back wall, you wouldn't need much and would look quite effective with the floating shelves like my previous comment
  • 11 years ago
    Wallpapering around bathroom fixtures seems like a big project with a new baby. I like the color in this room and think you could find some great art piece - maybe one with your blue color and use other blue accessories to give interest to the room without so much work.
  • 11 years ago
    One idea for inexpensive art is to frame old postcards or photos. If you have family pictures taken at the beach they could be printed in sepia for instance. Since it is a powder room moisture is not a big issue?

    http://houzz.com/photos/103283
  • 11 years ago
    Hi vivettem, your powder room looks very nice, as it is, to me. Clean, simple, uncluttered. I'd hate wallpaper. :) Anyway, I know this is a minority opinion. I wouldn't change do much. ( I'd consider another faucet style, or toilet paper holder; otherwise, I like it as it is. )
    Good luck! :)
  • 11 years ago
    I would add some decorative white shelving with candles soaps and towels. On the sheet rock portion I would add a scenic picture to compliment the towels and soaps on the shelves (water pic of ocean or lake). Then across from the toilet I would have a mirror. If there is already a mirror across toilet add a picture size mirror on sheet rock place instead of pic. It will give the area depth and make the room appear larger.
  • 11 years ago
    We are moving and I too have a similar problem, I am going to put in floating shelves also have plain mirrors in bathrooms, so I'm looking at framing existing mirrors perhaps with crown moldings or baseboard similar to pic, just to give place a lift