Software
Houzz Logo Print
pedalva

Kitchen remodel help needed

13 years ago
We are currently remodeling our kitchen by adding soapstone countertops over hickory cabinets. The attached photo shows the wall In question. The cabinet to the right of the stove is 24 inches and the one to the left is 30. The ceiling is 8ft. We will also be adding a hickory hood over the stove and we want to tile the wall behind it. Here is my dilemma: how much or little tile do we use? We are not adding upper cabinets to this wall, so should we tile the wall from the chimney to the other end of the cabinets? Or just under the hood? Should we take the tile all the way to the ceiling? We plan to use a light khaki colored tile with soapstone accents. How much soapstone should we use as accents? We have all stainless appliances and accent colors tend to be in the aqua blue neighborhood. Any ideas will be welcomed! By the way, we will be painting the rest of the chimney!

Comments (7)

  • 13 years ago
    The light was not the best for the photo, but I hope you get an idea of what we plan to use. The tiles are 6 inch squares and do not have a shiny texture. Thank you so much for your ideas and the photos! I do see what you mean about taking the tile to the ceiling. What do you think about using small (probably diamond shaped) soapstone accents on the wall?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think it would take away from the soapstone countertops, actually. Soapstone countertops are a beautiful strong statement, so the backsplash needs to take a back seat and be more functional than anything else. I can't say as I can recommend the 6" square tiles, however. The scale and the shape bother me when I visualize them next to the bricks. It's after midnight here and my brain is getting tired, so I'm going to sleep on this and tomorrow I'll see if I can suggest an alternative for you. I hate to leave you hanging, but I'll be back!

    Cynthia
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you, Cynthia. It was after midnight for me as well. I look forward to your ideas!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I slept on it, and did a little digging through archives and found some ideas. Here's one where they repeated the soapstone as a backsplash. How dramatic this would be, with the veining. Soapstone slabs are not as large as granite ones, so you could see if they could bookmatch the slabs to create a beautiful pattern on this wall.
    The Woodshop of Avon · More Info
    Or you could get soapstone tiles like these, the larger scale the better.
    Tudor Kitchen · More Info
    You haven't shown us the rest of your kitchen, but you might find that you could combine a large soapstone feature on the stove wall with a simple painted board-and-batten look on the other unseen walls where the backsplash, I assume, is between upper and lower cabinets. Look at this picture to see what I mean.
    Main Street · More Info
    Soapstone counters combine beautifully with slate which comes in different colours. Large scale slate tiles would make a stunning statement in your kitchen.
    Kona Hillside · More Info


    I don't have a photo, but you could easily find one, of a stainless steel backsplash for a more industrial look. there are one-piece sheet materials of acrylic that look like back-painted glass too (or back-painted glass itself, which is stunning). In fact, there are probably too many options to make it an easy choice!

    By far the most popular combination with soapstone is white subway tile in all its sizes and proportions. It looks fantastic. With the existing brickwork (painted) in your kitchen, you have a beautiful feature already. It's just going to be a balancing act, choosing the right third element to complement the cabinets and the brick. If this has helped you, I would be really glad. If you want to discuss this further, I would be happy to do that too. You can always reach me at ctaylorluce@cogeco.ca too.

    Good luck with your beautiful kitchen!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    And I just found this one!
    Northern Liberties, Philadelphia: Eclectic Kitchen Backsplash · More Info
    Isn't it awesome?
  • 13 years ago
    Great ideas all, Cynthia, and food for thought. I have sent you an email with other photos. Please let me know what you think. Thanks so much!